Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about upgrading but can't really find anything worth upgrading to.

I like Vulcan S for these reasons:
It's a smaller cruiser that fits my size (I'm 174cm/5'9)
High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

I looked into Indian Scout Bobber and yeah, I like its looks better (but not by a lot), but it's heavier, bigger, way more expensive (it's twice the cost of Vulcan S in Sweden) and chugs a lot more gas.
Is there anything out there that checks all the above boxes but is an actual upgrade?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just noticed, Indian Scout Bobber seems to be a tiny bit smaller than Vulcan S. No huge difference in size or weight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went from the KVS to the regular Indian Scout (not bobber) and couldn’t be happier. The Scouts are 1,100 cc motors as well as rated at 100hp—definitely a step up from the KVS.

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
148 Posts
VN900
Honda Rebel 1100
Yamaha Bolt
HD Iron 883
Scout 60 or Scout Bobber 60

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rebel 1100 and Indian Scout are the two that could be considered an upgrade. But here's the deal:

Indian: not faster, drinks a lot of gas, smaller tank. Seems more like "60 minutes around the town then ride home" type of bike. I do take my Vulcan S to highways and I do ride sometimes for 4-5 hours. Looks better though and I think sounds better as well.
Rebel 1100: don't really know much about this, but it does look interesting and it has more forward seating position. I get some backpain probably because I'm not sitting optimally on my Vulcan S.

I'm probably going to (eventually) go for Indian Scout Bobber. I'm not getting rid of my Vulcan S anytime soon. Hopefully something better comes along. Maybe Indian Scout 900 or 650 with a bigger tank and lower fuel consumption :)

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S
22 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading but can't really find anything worth upgrading to.

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

I looked into Indian Scout Bobber and yeah, I like its looks better (but not by a lot), but it's heavier, bigger, way more expensive (it's twice the cost of Vulcan S in Sweden) and chugs a lot more gas.
Is there anything out there that checks all the above boxes but is an actual upgrade?
I actually went the other way and couldn’t be happier. I previously rode an 1800cc Yamaha Stratoliner. A beautiful bike but a beast to backup at 900lbs. Also rode a Yamaha vstar 1100 for a while but after my wife stopped riding pillion I realized I didn’t need such a big bike. I recently downsized to my current 2019 KVS and love its light, easy to maneuver style. And its got more than enough power for all my needs (I’m only 140lbs). Looking forward to the next riding season in the Spring!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
656 Posts

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

If the bike is comfortable to you...keep it ..if you plan on some extended trips where storage is an issue then I would upgrade..alot of larger bikes aren't any faster than the S anyway ..just roomier and have more of the classic look.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
If the bike is comfortable to you...keep it ..if you plan on some extended trips where storage is an issue then I would upgrade..alot of larger bikes aren't any faster than the S anyway ..just roomier and have more of the classic look.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk
Kip Moto makes an inline trailer (Sherpax) and a hitch for some KVS models. They list 2015 - 2017 models, but not all that they have are listed. An easy way to add storage for long trips if they have a hitch for a particular year KVS. If I downsize to a KVS, I may get one, if available.

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan S ABS
5 Posts
In it's engine-size class, I feel that the KVS is a more modern, refined ride. For example I seriously looked at Honda 750 Shadows (among others) before buying the KVS. The 750 Shadow is a SOHC engine, most versions are carburated, have a five speed gearbox, significantly less horse power and torque and weigh more. To me, in this size class, the KVS just a nicer machine, from the machine standpoint (i.e., setting aside aesthetics) than other similar-sized options. But it isn't a v-twin, so there's that. That you have to compare it to larger displacement V-twin offerings to begin to match up specs is saying something.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,508 Posts
If Yamaha made a similar size cruiser using the MT07 twin that could seriously make for a potential true competitor in it's class and the crossplane twin sound would be the real reason it would win many over, but power wise it wouldn't make any major difference and would still have to be made equal or more comfortable with similar capabilities for luggage at least. Until then if the Vulcan s were mine to trade I would consider the rebel 1100 but unlikely I would find it truly worth trading for. Maybe Kawasaki will listen to what some here have asked for and make a Vulcan s using the Z900 4 cylinder to make it a real sporty little cruiser, though there have been rumors of a supercharged model but who knows if that would actually happen :unsure:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vulcan S is plenty powerful to me. I'm not a big guy, 174cm/5'9 and 64kg/141lbs. And because it's a smaller cruiser, I don't look too big or to small on it. People say it fits me well. And all these Audis and BMWs want to race me :ROFLMAO:
I also like the fact it doesn't have this classic look other Vulcans have. It's the main reason I don't see Vulcan 900+ as an upgrade. Those are not the bikes for me.
This is why I have hard time upgrading from Vulcan S. There are plenty of bikes that are great and can be considered an upgrade if you can live with the look. I can't :)
I do drool a bit over Triumph Rocket 3. But that bike is WAAAAAAAAY too expensive for me atm. I think even Indian Scout is too expensive. It's literally twice the price of Vulcan S here in Sweden.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 Cafe ABS
96 Posts
When trying to make a decision on my new bike, i test drove a few different brand and different size bikes. Between Honda, Harley and Kawasaki i had narrowed it down between the Vulcan S and Vulcan 900. The VKS was the better riding out of the two. The KVS handled better on the curves, is lighter and more power. It was a clears decision for me. The 900 would of been a down grade in my opinion for me anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

Hi.. I've owned my 900 Classic for nearly ten years. 77,000

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

I've owned my 900 Classic for nearly ten years. 77,000 miles. I've been extremely happy with it. I bought a Vn1700 last year and found that I preferred my 900.
The 900 is a good bike. Comfortable and can live with other cruisers on rides out..

·
Registered
1 Posts

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

Yes! I think there is now a very good upgrade to the Vulcan S. Honda Rebel 1100. A bit of history and my reasons for the Rebel 1100.

I've owned 16 bikes over 40+ years and now have 6 in my garage. My adult son and one of my adult daughters also ride. I first bought a 2015 Vulcan S for my daughter 3 years ago after much research: Primarily for low seat height (she's 5'3" on a tall day) lighter weight and good handling on twisty roads. After that one was destroyed by an illegal move by another motorist, we replaced it with a 2017 Vulcan S. Still have it and love it. Found we wanted more power for longer rides. In 2021 Honda introduced the Rebel 1100. I think it is the only true competitor to the Vulcan S at this time: Low seat height, light weight, good handling, and with quite a bit more power. We bought a 2021 1100 Rebel in summer 2021 and it has lived up to our expectations. Only downside so far is that accessories (from Honda and aftermarket) are limited. We added an aftermarket windshield that works great looks good on the bike and cost 1/4 or less than the OEM Honda bat wing fairing windshield combo.

BTW, we also looked at several cruiser bikes including various imports, Harley and Indian models. Love the look and feel of Indians, but cruiser handling and cost have kept us out of their camp for now.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 Cafe ABS
96 Posts
Yes! I think there is now a very good upgrade to the Vulcan S. Honda Rebel 1100. A bit of history and my reasons for the Rebel 1100.

I've owned 16 bikes over 40+ years and now have 6 in my garage. My adult son and one of my adult daughters also ride. I first bought a 2015 Vulcan S for my daughter 3 years ago after much research: Primarily for low seat height (she's 5'3" on a tall day) lighter weight and good handling on twisty roads. After that one was destroyed by an illegal move by another motorist, we replaced it with a 2017 Vulcan S. Still have it and love it. Found we wanted more power for longer rides. In 2021 Honda introduced the Rebel 1100. I think it is the only true competitor to the Vulcan S at this time: Low seat height, light weight, good handling, and with quite a bit more power. We bought a 2021 1100 Rebel in summer 2021 and it has lived up to our expectations. Only downside so far is that accessories (from Honda and aftermarket) are limited. We added an aftermarket windshield that works great looks good on the bike and cost 1/4 or less than the OEM Honda bat wing fairing windshield combo.

BTW, we also looked at several cruiser bikes including various imports, Harley and Indian models. Love the look and feel of Indians, but cruiser handling and cost have kept us out of their camp for now.
That was about the only bike i would of chosen over the KVS. Close to the same weight with roughly 20hp more. The only thing that made me go with the KVS was price. The Rebel 1100 would of cost me about $3000 more with a little higher insurance cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m a long way from any upgrade but the sportster s looks like an obvious choice. Fwd controls and more zippy than the kvs

·
Registered
Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
52 Posts

High mileage
Looks great
It's fast
Cheap maintenance

I am 5'6 and ride the kawasaki 900 classic lt
It is not bad on fuel a bit heavier not as quick i am sure, but still a nice ride.
Maybe a Ninja or the Yamaha bolt if available there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts