Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Kawasaki they improved the saddle on the 2014's. Are they any good now, or is everyone still swapping out for the Mustang?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
According to Kawasaki they improved the saddle on the 2014's. Are they any good now, or is everyone still swapping out for the Mustang?
I sat on one - same crap. A new seat is an absolute must for this bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure there's been discussion on this already, but IIRC the 2014/15 seat has been redesigned. To be honest, the only time I've ever sat on one, I couldn't feel the difference, but then I've barely sat on the stock seat of my 09 since getting a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm sure there's been discussion on this already, but IIRC the 2014/15 seat has been redesigned. To be honest, the only time I've ever sat on one, I couldn't feel the difference, but then I've barely sat on the stock seat of my 09 since getting a Mustang.
Redesigned, but no better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think they were redesigned in 13. My dealer had a used 13 with only 300 miles on it about a month ago that had the stock seat on it. It was the same as the 15 that I saw at the motorcycle show at the I-X Center. I did sit on it and while it had more back support, it was still hard as a rock.

·
Registered
529 Posts
When I got my 13 there were two bikes identical with two very different feeling seats. I chose the bike that didn't have a big scratch in the paint, but I couldn't tell if I liked one seat over the other just that they were definitely different. Hard to describe exactly how it was different but no doubt the change was in 13. I would say either way you will be getting a new seat no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A review I read (Oz Cruiser & Trike magazine) was complimentary on the seat. I can only assume it is improved but I guess you just have to try it yourself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Perhaps the Vulcan 900 seats have been designed for Japanese riders - they seem to lack cushioning and compliance which would be more appropriate for average riders in "Western" countries.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Sat on a 14 at a dealer,looked a little different than my 2006 classic,but still was rock hard,still have the stock seat on my 900,so I bought a nomad

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting... I may be going the Mustang route, I think I'm picking up a 2012 in Candy Arabian Red. I just love that color, and I found one for sale...

·
Registered
59 Posts
A Little Better, But Not Much

I was down at my local dealer yesterday, and while waiting around I tried sitting on both a 2013 900 Custom & a 2014 900 Custom. While the seat is slightly (and I emphasize the "slightly") better than my 2012 Custom, it is absolutely nowhere even close to the comfort of the Mustang Wide Touring I installed late last year. Compared to the Mustang, the OEM seats feel like sitting on a fallen tree that has had the bark peeled off. I recommend saving a few bucks and get a Mustang - you will not be sorry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was down at my local dealer yesterday, and while waiting around I tried sitting on both a 2013 900 Custom & a 2014 900 Custom. While the seat is slightly (and I emphasize the "slightly") better than my 2012 Custom, it is absolutely nowhere even close to the comfort of the Mustang Wide Touring I installed late last year. Compared to the Mustang, the OEM seats feel like sitting on a fallen tree that has had the bark peeled off. I recommend saving a few bucks and get a Mustang - you will not be sorry.
I had the Mustang on a previous Vulcan, and I agree completely. Looks like I'm getting the 2014 Classic, so I'll give the new and improved seat a chance.... Then order the Mustang! :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
In all of my limited time on bikes(1968) I have yet to find a Factory seat that could not be improved. Must be my boney butt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all of my limited time on bikes(1968) I have yet to find a Factory seat that could not be improved. Must be my boney butt.
Why is that at 52 years old all the cushion is around my waist and it makes it so I can barely get my boots on and my arse is flat and hard and uncomfortable with no cushion at all? I wouldn't mind the fat on my arse if it made riding more comfortable! :pig: LOL!

·
Registered
698 Posts
You could try an airhawk seat. They are really good at a fraction of the cost. Plus when you sell you get to keep the airhawk.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You could try an airhawk seat. They are really good at a fraction of the cost. Plus when you sell you get to keep the airhawk.
I know some people that like them and they seem to work for a lot of people but in my opinion they just look ridiculous. I have a Mustang and if I sell my bike I will take it off and resell it if I don't feel like I got my money out of it. Good idea though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've never sat on the older 900 seats, but I'm pretty happy with the stock seat on my 2014 Custom. I've spent 13 hour days in the saddle with no complains. We would make 15-30 minute stops to fuel up and stretch, and maybe an hour tops for lunch. Other then that, we ride straight through the day.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Why is that at 52 years old all the cushion is around my waist and it makes it so I can barely get my boots on and my arse is flat and hard and uncomfortable with no cushion at all? I wouldn't mind the fat on my arse if it made riding more comfortable! :pig: LOL!
Great description and thank you for NOT posting a picture! :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great description and thank you for NOT posting a picture! :eek:
LOL. Well, I'm 6'2" and 226 as of today... but that's going to change here soon. I'm on the "Engine2diet" and two years ago I dropped 20 pounds in 8 weeks without starving myself, and I need to do that again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts