Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth 180 dollars to take your bike to the dealer when you hit your 4000 mile mark your first 4000 mile mark I should say???It seems like all they do is change oil and filter and check if anything is loose.Am I right????

·
Registered
976 Posts
Buy a manual, thats worth it. If you have no idea how to work on your bike, have no tools, don't know nutting, then taking it to the shop is a good deal.

It's a quick learning curve though and YES the only thing they do is change the oil and look for loose stuff. The manual will tell you what to look for. There's a good chance that the guy going to go over your bike hasn't gone over that model before. Where else would you put your newbie mechanic except in the place that would expose them to the most familiarization of going over a bike and looking for everything loose.

A set of screwdrivers, allen wrenches, T handle Allen wrenches and a metric socket set with 1/4, 1/2 inch tools is about 95% of what you'll need. Special tools (torque wrench) can be borrowed from Auto parts stores where you can alos purchase the odd size sockets (24-27mm for the front wheel?)

Probably get most of that plus the oil and filter for 180 bucks.

Yea, I shop at Walmart alot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just took my bike in for the first service. And on purpose did not tell them about the missing grease fitting on the bottom just to se if they would find it.
They didn't let me down not a word until I asked about it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you feel comfortable changing the oil and doing basic maintenance on your car, then you should be okay with the oil changes, etc. on the bike. I do recomment the 600 mile first check up to be done at a dealer although, I don't think it is worth the price they charge. But at least if a warranty issue comes up, you can show Big-K that you had it done. But after the first one, I see no reason to pay $180 for what is just a basic oil change.

I am personally trying to decide if it will be worth it to have a dealer do a valve adjustment for me this winter. I feel confident that I could do the work. But finding the time to do it as well as getting a shim kit may make it easier to let a shop do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't trust my dealer because they left a few loose bolts at delivery. Got out on the highway and had mirrors flopping around in my face AND they pre-broke my grease zerk for me. I suggested to them random drug testing as an option. It works where I work.
Did my own 600 mile service myself and got to know my bike a lot better. I went through and methodically torqued each required bolt and nut to the values specified in the factory service manual. That's how I found out that the rectifier bolts are WAY overtorqued and my front axle nut was torqued at only half the required value.

Do it yourself. At least you can trust yourself.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am personally trying to decide if it will be worth it to have a dealer do a valve adjustment for me this winter. I feel confident that I could do the work. But finding the time to do it as well as getting a shim kit may make it easier to let a shop do it.
I'm a looong way from that check, but I'm thinking that I will try it myself, since I've heard quotes well north of $500 to do this procedure. That can buy a lot of other things - and there's the outside chance that your local dealer can screw this procedure up(!) after keeping your bike for several days and loosening your wallet for whatever they charge.
As others have stated, the 4K service entails many checks - and it CAN be worth a couple hundred dollars of a competent mechanic's time - or you may get a noob and most of routine checks and adjustments might get gundecked (skipped) by the wrench at the dealer. Personally, I think a $75 dollar manual and about $300 worth of tools at Harbor Freight will pay for themselves very quickly in self-service. Most of the checks are not rocket science, and you will always be more conscientious (if not more competent) in checking out a scoot that YOU have to rely on to get you back to the barn.

I'm a twidget. The "ET" in ETC(SS) stands for Electronics Technician, which has also been my civillian job for 30 years. I'm not a mechanic...not even close. For all that, I've found that I can pretty much muddle my way through the maintenance (and many of the repair) gigs that come my way in autos and on bikes. It's just not that hard...yeah, I know...famous last words! :D

Is dealer service worth it? That depends on the dealer....and the rider. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think after my experience at the dealership that I am going to do it myself. My first service cost me 230. I kept asking them what did that entail other then an oil change. Their response was, you got the "level one" service. I asked several times and was never satisified with the answer. I think I paid for a 230 dollar oil change. For now on, I will learn to the service myself like that previos posters suggested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think after my experience at the dealership that I am going to do it myself. My first service cost me 230. I kept asking them what did that entail other then an oil change. Their response was, you got the "level one" service. I asked several times and was never satisified with the answer. I think I paid for a 230 dollar oil change. For now on, I will learn to the service myself like that previos posters suggested.
Wow Im complaining about mine but it was only 68$

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Seems to me some body saw you coming. Just had my 600 mile service and they did go through the bike and get rid of some rattles that had developed and couple of other issues that had developed all for $72.71. This is the same dealer that put on the "heat shield kit" while I waited when I went in to look for a new helmet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seems to me some body saw you coming. Just had my 600 mile service and they did go through the bike and get rid of some rattles that had developed and couple of other issues that had developed all for $72.71. This is the same dealer that put on the "heat shield kit" while I waited when I went in to look for a new helmet.
I have not decide either way as of yet (500 miles on the bike). I think my dealer should do a complete check of the bike No Charge. I'll pay for the oil change. But a simple once over should not be too much to ask without getting raped. JMO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had my break in done three weeks back and the bike did seem to benefit from it, they worked out a few bugs to the tune of 180 bucks, fair enough I guess as if any warranty issue were to come up, I`ve got the receipt to back me up. Now as for the 4000 mile check, if your basic warranty is allready gone and you can do it yourself, go for it.
Like what has been mentioned allready, you can trust yourself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts