Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

First let me say thank you in advance. I am contemplating a 900 but I have a few questions.
1. Is the 900 "big enough" for open highway i.e. being blown around, enough HP to "get out of trouble" if necessary.
2. I am a large man 6'2" 300 lbs, will it still perform with my fat ass riding it.

The reason I ask these is that I have a couple of bum knees and think that the 900 would be a pretty good compromise on weight, ease of riding and such. When I get up into the 1500's and things I can feel my knee's start shaking after holding it up for a bit.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello All

First let me say thank you in advance. I am contemplating a 900 but I have a few questions.
1. Is the 900 "big enough" for open highway i.e. being blown around, enough HP to "get out of trouble" if necessary.
2. I am a large man 6'2" 300 lbs, will it still perform with my fat ass riding it.

The reason I ask these is that I have a couple of bum knees and think that the 900 would be a pretty good compromise on weight, ease of riding and such. When I get up into the 1500's and things I can feel my knee's start shaking after holding it up for a bit.

Thanks again for any help.
IMHO the answer to both questions is "yes."

I've had my 900 custom for about 18 months (my first bike), and I've had no problems with a lack of power.

1. Thankfully, I've never needed to rely on it HP to get me out of trouble. When I ride on the highway, however, it seems to have plenty of power -- at least I don't have any trouble keeping up with the people I ride with -- mostly on bigger bikes.

2. I've got you beat in the "fat ass" dept. I'm 6' 4" and weigh about 330. Again, there seems to be plenty of power to keep my ass moving. I haven't tried riding 2 up, so I can't really say whether its lacking in that dept.

Good luck and stay safe.

Randy

·
Registered
217 Posts
No way. Go for at least 1300cc. On the two lane highway the 900 is great but it seems to get blown around pretty good by cross winds and semi trucks on 4 lane interstate roads. I purchased my 900 at a Victory dealer with 600 miles, where the previous owner had the very problem you are describing.

·
Banned
334 Posts
On the two lane highway the 900 is great but it seems to get blown around pretty good by cross winds and semi trucks on 4 lane interstate roads.
I agree, the 900 isn't really a touring bike. I upgraded from a 900 Classic to a 1600 Nomad for this very reason. The Nomad is WAY better on the highway, and better for 2-up as well. My wife wasn't very happy on the back of the 900, but she likes the Nomad.

However, the OP says he has bad knees and can't really manage the weight of a larger bike. In that case, I'd say the 900 would be a good compromise. The lighter weight of the 900 makes it easier to wrestle around in a parking lot, and the highway performance will probably be good enough for him unless he's planning lots of cross-country rides.

Joe

·
Registered
224 Posts
6'3" 230 lbs and for the most part the nine is fine with me. Does seem to get blown around a bit close behind an 18 wheeler,but I guess what bike wouldn't. No problem with the power. Have ridden two up and can be a bit slow off the start if your needing a fast take off but not bad. Overall if your just out for a pleasure ride and not in need of alot of power for quick take off two up or one up heavy rider I give it two thumbs up. Have had mine for 47,000 miles now and am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Just depends what your expectations are, mine is 1240 lbs loaded, 2 up with a trailer, 2 trips totaling 11500 miles, 0 to 14000 ft above, all at 65 to 70 mph. All bikes get knocked around by wind.

·
Registered
953 Posts
my V2K still gets blown around and its 900 lbs, lol. I used to have a 900C before the V2K and its a hell of alot easier to manuver and more fun to drive at slow speeds. If you have knee issues i would start with the 9 , get one cheap and if you outgrow it sell it and get a bigger one. The 9 does rev high at highway speeds but it will go all day.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 900 at one point was named the best Midsize cruiser but it does have its limitations.

Pros:
*Light enough to manuver around town but heavy enough to feel sturdy on the freeway.
*Has enough power to pass a semi at highway speeds for the average rider.
*Powerfull and comfortable enough for 2up riding as long as weight is kept to a minimum.

Cons:
*Being a midsize cruiser if you plan to ride with a passanger then you will feel the lack of power if over the weight limit and I believe its arond 450 pounds.
*Breaks aren't design for heavy loads so if 2up you will feel the extra weight
*Bike revs high at speeds over 60mph but there is a simple solution to that (SW pulleys and highly recommend both).

·
Registered
40 Posts
At 6' and 320 or so, riding two-up with the better-half (who is 180 or so) I find that there is plenty of power in a 900, even if you overload it like I do. It does turn a lot of RPMs at highway speeds, but it doen't seem to be bothered by the high RPMs.

Of course, if you are trying to justify a bigger bike, go for it. Get the size you really want, otherwise, you'll just be saying 'I wish I did" until you get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
well, I love my 9, it's a very nimble and still big bike. It has size and power.

I'm 275 and it moves me around pretty damn good. It doesn't quite throw me off when I kick into it but I don't need that kind of power. I find it pretty comfortable for my big butt and it works great for general riding.

If you want something a little bigger and maybe a little more nimble you might want to check out the newer Honda Sabre models. I really wanted one of those as they were just so damn nice. It's a 1300cc bike and can move you around pretty nice but it's also very easy to control as there ins't a lot extra junk on the bike. Also the seat is really low on the Sabre and fury model so it may be even easier for you to control with your knee situations.

I think in a couple years I might sell my 900 and pick up a sabre, I just find them sexy but I also really like my bike as well.... It's a tough call as to which is better for me. I really wish they made a 1300 vulcan as I think that's just a great size motor.

A friend of mine has a Yamaha Stryker which is 1300CC you might want to check one of those out. It's a very comfortable riding bike and it has some very nice features. It has rather tall gears so you wont need to be in the higher RPMs even on the interstate. 5th gear doesn't like to be gotten into until about 55-60mph.

I'm not trying to ride you away from a vulcan as they are great damn bikes but just letting you know other great bikes out there you might want to consider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies folks, I would ultimately like a 1100 but the vstar just doesn't feel as good as the sabre and they are about the only 1100 out there. The Saber is a very hot looking bike but I don't know if I'm ready to spend the $9000 or so they seem to want. I don't believe I will ride 2up as my wife is scared to death of motorcycles and plus she is kinda a fat ass too, if we both were going to ride it we would need a 2000 min. and there is no way my knees could take that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for all the replies folks, I would ultimately like a 1100 but the vstar just doesn't feel as good as the sabre and they are about the only 1100 out there. The Saber is a very hot looking bike but I don't know if I'm ready to spend the $9000 or so they seem to want. I don't believe I will ride 2up as my wife is scared to death of motorcycles and plus she is kinda a fat ass too, if we both were going to ride it we would need a 2000 min. and there is no way my knees could take that.
That would be why I don't have one right now.... lmao.

I'd love one but the price is crazy high. Though they are starting to hit the used market now which is a bonus and you might be able to get a better deal. I got my Vulcan 900 because it was a killer deal and it's still a great looking bike. Plus I'm a fan of not getting that new to used depreciation...

It all really depends on what you can find in your area that you are willing to spend money on as well.

I wish you luck in your shopping and maybe you'll find exactly what you are looking for without a hassle. Just be patient, it took me almost 3 months to find the right bike at a price I was willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Byrdman,
It depends on your frame of reference. I am 5' 9" and weigh 180. I have ridden Softtails and Road Kings. My last ride was a 750 Nighthawk. I have a 2007 900 Classic with windshield, leather bags and a Cobra engine guard, so it is about 650 lbs. The Vulcan is lighter than a Road King, but it also has a longer wheelbase. So it is less manuverable at low speeds. The Vulcan goes down the road nicely 2 up and is pretty good in winds. It vibrates a bit around 70 mph. I have not considered a larger drive pulley as I would not want to lose any grunt. The 900 is not a powerhouse. My 750 Nighthawk was much quicker. The 900 is a maintenance nightmare. The things you have to remove to change the oil filter or adjust the rear shock are ridiculous. Speaking of the rear shock, you will probably want an aftermarket unit with better load carrying capacity. An air adjustable unit would address the aforementioned pain in the a#$ of having to remove a bunch of things to adjust the shock. I would probably do that if I planned to keep mine. I had to replace the stator at 14,000 miles, the suspension is very crude, and it is just too slow. So my winter project is narrowing the field for a different bike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I haven't ridden a 900, but I used to have a Harley 883 and a Goldwing. I now have a Vulcan 1500 Classic which I find to be easier to ride than either of my other two bikes were. I am a 5'8", 150lb female with a left knee replacement and a bad right knee. I have absolutely no problem holding the bike up. As for slow speed maneuvers...it is a piece of cake compared to the Goldwing. A lot of it depends on your riding abilities and what type of riding you are doing. I agree that if you are going to be saying "I wish that I had gotten something else" then save yourself the trouble and get something else. Life is short, why waste the time? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm a big boy... 6'3" and 250 (THEN add the leather), and ride 2-up quite often with the wife and a stuffed overnight bag. No issues. When I'm not 2-up, I tend to ride road dog for the group I ride with as well, and it has the juice for that (BIG flyin' the highways in OK grin goes here!!!).

We've been in the mountains, on the slab, in the twisties... the 9'er gets 'er done. Would I *LIKE* a bigger bike? Sure, but I have no doubts in my sweet Redemption whatsoever.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ya know, its funny. 20-25 years ago no one would have asked if the 900 was big enough. back then a 900 was a big bike. now with everyones thoughts screwed up with all these so-called experts saying its a mid sized bike, or worse, a beginner bike, its being thought of as small. strange times. a 625 pound bike with a 903cc engine in it is by no means tiny or inadequite. but hey, i guess opinions vary.

·
Registered
238 Posts
ya know, its funny. 20-25 years ago no one would have asked if the 900 was big enough. back then a 900 was a big bike. now with everyones thoughts screwed up with all these so-called experts saying its a mid sized bike, or worse, a beginner bike, its being thought of as small. strange times. a 625 pound bike with a 903cc engine in it is by no means tiny or inadequite. but hey, i guess opinions vary.
That's what i was thinking Kawboy!!! I'm 6 1 and 190 lbs and the 900 hauls a$$. I have the front overdrive pulley and still ride two up and have no issues accelerating up big hills. I will eventually put the rear pulley on also just because it has that much pull now and it will make it all that more versatile....Good luck.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I ride a Honda GL1800 Gold Wing as a main bike, but I also ride a 900 Classic that I got this Fall, and I love that thing. While the Wing is a very nice, pleasant bike to ride, and does all things well, include being a powerhouse, the Vulcan is just a hoot to ride. I love its nimbleness and ease of low speed handling. We do twists as much as possible, and the Vulcan seems to have great handling and ground clearance. It's also one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. I do have a Russell seat on it, though. Powerwise, while it's no racer and won't exactly snap your neck and give you whiplash, it seems to have plenty of power for the riding we do, and it seems to be very stable on the highways at higher speeds (60--85). I haven't found it to be very disturbed by wind blasts from big trucks. In short, it feels very solid on the road.

I can't comment on its 2-up abilities as we don't ride 2-up because my wife rides her own bike--a 900LT. The Gold Wing she had was just too heavy for her. Oh, I'm 62" and 220. Not a real lardy, but no lightweight, either, and the 900 feels just fine to me. For some reason I get this silly grin whenever I ride it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Short answers: Enough power, big enough to run interstate everyday, and handles us big boys just fine.

I'm 5'11" and 270. At 75 mph, my V9D still has some left to get up and move. I have never had a need to power out of a situation but I've had need to fast maneuver out of a situation and the V9D, I feel, handles well for her size. With the lovely's extra 140 lbs on, she still handles well in emergency situations (rain, wind, cagers trying to invade my real estate, road ruts, 90+ mph, mountain passes). The only time I felt a lack of power was when the group cranked it up to over 110 mph; I held an indicated 105 mph and became tail gunner.

I've had the wind buffeting around rigs on a Reflex 250, a CB550, a KZ550, my V9D and my 6100 pound diesel Dodge; buffeting seems a way of life around rigs in any vehicle, but I don't feel insecure around rigs on the V9D. The Reflex 250 on the other hand............

1 - 20 of 49 Posts