Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum recently and I was looking at the dates on the various posts - most of them are approaching 10 years old (like the last Vulcan 500!) and I was just wondering if the group is still alive.... Class.... Anyone?!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Still here.
I think this new forum software is so bad that it is much harder to stay current.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a 500 owner who has just joined the group. AND I have a problem that I haven't found discussed after going through 12 pages of threads. My oil light AND temperature lights both come on at low RPM's and the lights go out as soon as I rev up a bit. Filter is new and oil was recently changed at a shop. After first noticing the lights, I saw the oil was low in the sight glass, so filled it to the top line and the problem persists, even when the engine is cool and cannot possibly have overheated. If it was just the oil light, I'd assume a defective sensor, but both of them simultaneously? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
l suspect an electric problem. Check the sensors first! Set the idle speed higher until the lights go out, then pull off the wire from the temp.high swicth, and contact it to the metal case of the switch! Then put it back, and do the same with the oil pressure switch!
What happens?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Fairweather1,

When the oil pressure switch closes (before starting the engine or if the oil pressure is low) both lights will light up, not just the oil light.

One of three things is happening on your bike.

1) The oil pressure is truly low
2) The pressure switch is failing
3) The wire to the switch is chaffed against the frame.

What weight oil are you using and which oil filter are you using? I run Fram 6017A oil filter and 10W/40 oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bikerbill (and Kawasaki) surprised me, writing, the oil pressure switch lights up both red lights by default. I checked the wiring diagram, and he has right. There is a diode between the two lights. So, if they come in/off simultanously, the oil pressure side is the reason. Wire or sensor or the pressure itself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am also still around, though not like I used to be. This new format that was forced on us isn't easy on the eyes and makes it much harder to want to spend time here. Instead of being on almost constantly trying to help everyone I could, now I only come around when I need to find a certain bit of info. I know I'm not alone, but that's a topic for another discussion...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts