Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So July 4th I took a ride with my girl to a lake about 60 miles away has a little beach so we just wanted to ride there and hangout for a bit. Anyway about half way there I'm at a stoplight and a dude with his family has his windows down and decides he needs to strike up a convo.

He yells out his window, "Hey nice bike man sounds real good? Is that a Victory?" I reply "No it's a Vulcan." to which he replies "Oh what's a Vulcan?" and i say "it's a Kawasaki."

He then proceeds to tell me that I should've got a Harley. And that the new 48 looks real good and is nice. At this point my blood is boiling as I realize this guy knows absolutely nothing about bikes nor does he own one. Now remember all his windows are down and he has a wife and two kids in the back so I bite my tongue a bit.

He then asks me when I'm going to get a Harley. To which I say "I'll save my money." He confuses this with meaning I am going to save my money to buy one and replies "good idea." Right before the light changes he says "Well it's a nice bike for a Kawasaki."

So the moral of the story is its amazing to me how dudes that don't know the difference between a Victory and a Vulcan have the balls to tell me what bike I should have/get. It made me mad. Like really mad.

I wanted to embarrass him by asking him "Exactly what bike do you own?" so he could tell me he doesn't. Then reply any knob that doesn't know a Victory between a Vulcan needs to shut the eff up. However, I did not. I just rode off.

This crap upsets me. Especially from a knob that knows nothing about bikes. I'm posting this because it has happened before. Just irritating really. What do you guys say to stuff like this?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize there are grammatical errors. Typing posts on an iPad is a bitch. I know, I know. #first world problems.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I get a lot of "nice bike dude" I have a 9 and I just don't see spending the money. Do you know why Harley's cost so much???? They all come with their own trailer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh ya...we've all be there, or somewhere close to here! 8 out of 10 people that walk up to me to say something about my 900 clearly gained all their motorcycle knowledge by watching tv commercials, because it never fails...I get the standard " Nice Bike, is that a Harley?"

I'm thinking about taking the badge off the tank, to be replaced with a bumber sticker on both sides that says NoT a HaRlEy! It definitely gets on my nerves a little..especially when they proceed to say something else about harley's being nice bikes, or sounding good, or they got a friend that has one...

None of that bothered me when I first started riding..but it seems to be a progressively worse problem for me...rather than a diminishing one haha. I guess I'm just becoming too loyal to the brand!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Funny, I just got the "Is that a Victory?" question again yesterday. But unlike Colemantle's experience this was someone who rode up on two wheels. A custom built chopper framing an all chrome S&S motor. So when he asked the Victory question, I gave him my stock reply; a very polite and enthusiastic "No it's a Kawasaki Vulcan, but I get that a lot."

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It made me mad. Like really mad.
No! No! No! That guy has no say so about his life and does everything his wife tells him to do.

The best answer is that it is a vulcan and riding it has been a great experience. Don't let wannabees push your buttons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
He then proceeds to tell me that I should've got a Harley
this is one thing that really upsets me, is when people always either ask if its a harley or they tell you that you should get a harley because they are the "best" bikes... first of all its all personal opinion of what the best motorcycle brand is, they think its harley just because HD is the most recognizable brand in america, but in my opinion when you buy something that says harley davidson on it you instantly have to pay at least an extra 50-100% of the original cost simply because it has that name on it. i have hung out with many guys from motorcycle clubs in the fargo/moorhead area and i dont think many of them rode harleys, i saw a lot of yamaha road stars and i heard a lot of those guys bashing harley bikes.
so in my opinion its wrong for someone to tell you which brand is the best and that your bike is shitty because its not a Harley f**king Davidson. and if you know anything about bikes you would realize that the vulcan really doesnt look that much like a harley.

now that i got that ranting out of the way lol i did have a similar experience the other day... i was filling up my tank at a gas station in a nearby town and when i went in to pay for it the lady working the cash register told me i had a very nice bike and asked if it was a harley, so i politely responded saying "no, its a kawasaki" she then got a surprised look on her face and said "THAT'S a kawasaki?" and she asked if she could go out and look at it. so i said of course you can, because i could tell that she was excited to see a kawasaki, when we got outside she told me that she just bought a honda shadow and the other option she was thinking about was an older kawasaki, and she then told me that she was glad it wasnt another "damn harley". so the morale of this story is dont get offended right away if someone asks if its a harley, because sometimes they ask that question simply because they dont like harleys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The other night stopped at a street light, a guy in a car full of guys next to me yells out, "is that a Victory or a Harley?" I say, "nah, it's a Kawi!" Light turns green and I accelerate away. Then stopped at the next set of lights, the same car pulls up along side and the dude gives me a thumbs up! So to me if it looks good, sounds good and rides good...who cares what name is on the plate!
Also a couple of evenings ago, I rode my bike and parked in the bike section at Canterbury Park, Shakopee, MN. As I sat down in front of the bikes on a bench waiting for family to arrive, I noticed a foreign gentleman come up and pull out his camera. Starting with my bike, I thought he was going to proceed taking pics of all the bikes parked along...various Harleys and metrics. But he just kept taking pics or maybe even a video of my bike lol, then put his camera away and walked in...gotta love that!
Then as I was on my way out after watching a few horse races, and older gentleman asked, "is that your bike? What kind is it?" I said, "Kawasaki" He said, "hmmmm, Kawasaki...I used to ride a Harley Wide Glide Convertible many years ago but gave the bike to my son as I am too old to ride anymore." We chatted for a while after that but not once did he put down my bike for being a Kawasaki. So far I have had good comments, nothing bad so can't complain :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well, here's a Vulcan Classic:

And the closest Victory I could think of off the top of my head

Unless he maybe thought it was an old V92:

But of course, you may have been on a Custom...

Which does look more than a little like a Vegas:

So, I dunno, maybe an honest mistake. But the ol' "when ya gettin a Harley" bit is pretty lame. Seems like that's their idea of a good conversation starter with people that don't ride Harleys.

It's not a good conversations starter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We all have our stories. While I was fueling my '11 900 Classic SE, a kid in a rusty old pickup yelled, "Hey, man! Nice Harley!" I yelled back "Kawasaki Vulcan" and he asked "Where's the Harley Davis shop? I want one of them!"

I like to laugh, and most non-riders willingly help me out,
Grandpa

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah - happens all the time. HD has become the generic name for a V twin cruiser for those who don't know better. What is worse is those who DO know better but think you don't ride a HD because A. you can't afford it, B. you are still learning how to ride or C. you are stupid/gay.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts