Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my bike over to synthetic oil this season and it is running much cooler than last year. My temp. gauge was always 1 bar above the middle, but now it rarely goes above the middle bar. It's got to be good if the temp has gone down that much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I changed my bike over to synthetic oil this season and it is running much cooler than last year. My temp. gauge was always 1 bar above the middle, but now it rarely goes above the middle bar. It's got to be good if the temp has gone down that much.
Right. Doesn't break down from heat or get as dirty, lasts twice as long or 3x conventional. K&N oil filter works better too. I use Royal Purple for motorcycle, helps clutch. I go 5k miles between changes @ 1× per year. I put magnetic plugs in last time, anxious to see them - next month! Run about 8k per year. 27000 & counting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right. Doesn't break down from heat or get as dirty, lasts twice as long or 3x conventional. K&N oil filter works better too. I use Royal Purple for motorcycle, helps clutch. I go 5k miles between changes @ 1× per year. I put magnetic plugs in last time, anxious to see them - next month! Run about 8k per year. 27000 & counting.

I've been using synthetic oil for the last 15K (Castrol Power RS), also using the K&N filter. Yes I feel it is a little bit cooler and smoother. But the oil still gets nasty. According to the manual the oil has to be changed every 7.5K, I feel it is too much. I'm changing mine every 5K, at that point shifting gears gets clunky. Last time I rode 5K in 6 weeks, mostly highway doing 70-85 MPH. The oil got really dark, maybe because most of the time I was at +3000 RPMs in 6th gear, I don't know.
I also wanted to put the magnetic plugs but didn't find that size in Amazon, I believe it is M17, right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the thermostat controls the fan switching on and off. With synthetic oil you have less heat so therefore the fan just doesn't have to switch on or off as much. The bike runs cooler always.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good point on rougher shifting. Mine is due, just past 5000 miles. I got the plugs from bike bandit, looked at the package & thought they were too small. Heads are smaller, but turns out they fit. Simply ordered for the '12 Nomad.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Doesn't the thermostat control the engine temperature?
No the thermostat controls the fan switching on and off. With synthetic oil you have less heat so therefore the fan just doesn't have to switch on or off as much. The bike runs cooler always.
The "thermostat" controls coolant flow thru the cooling system, that is all it does. It does not control any operation of the fan.

The "thermostatic switch" provides a voltage signal to the ECU which, according to the internal programming of the ECU will switch the radiator fan on and off as needed.

It is very true that good synthetic oils can lower engine temps, thru a few different ways. First is in friction reduction. A by-product of friction is heat and synthetics have the ability to reduce friction, thus heat. A good thing. Also synthetics have more consistent molecular shapes which allows for better "heat flow" thru the oil which allows better heat dissipation.

ALL engines are oil cooled and some have used oil to "target" hot spots in the engine's internals, like the early GSXR Suzukis with their SACS system, piston oiling jets found in many engines, and the system H.D. has in the new 107 M8 engines.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
But if the engine is running cooler, will the thermostat just close and bring the coolant temperature back up to the thermostat rating? Should have no bearing on oil temperature as oil can take a while to warm up whereas the coolant temperature can climb quite quickly to thermostat opening temperature as I am sure your gauge will prove out.
The coolant temperature is what shows on the gauge.

·
Registered
320 Posts
True sfair. but the time between fan cycles should be a bit longer because the rate of heat generation due to friction is lower.
Heat due to combustion is the same.
Bottom end bearing surface temps should be lower too independently of top end temp and coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
But if the engine is running cooler, will the thermostat just close and bring the coolant temperature back up to the thermostat rating? Should have no bearing on oil temperature as oil can take a while to warm up whereas the coolant temperature can climb quite quickly to thermostat opening temperature as I am sure your gauge will prove out.
The coolant temperature is what shows on the gauge.
By the time an engine reaches normal operating temperature the thermostat is usually fully opened up. On sportbikes with digital engine temp displays we usually see a 4-6dg drop in coolant temps when switching from non-syn oil to synthetic oil. But that doesn't bring coolant temp down enuff for the thermostat to close.

True sfair. but the time between fan cycles should be a bit longer because the rate of heat generation due to friction is lower.
Heat due to combustion is the same.
Bottom end bearing surface temps should be lower too independently of top end temp and coolant temp.
YEP...if the oil is adding to a reduced engine operating temp then the fan will operate less and sometimes for shorter periods of time during operation.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, I can see the fan running less.

The way I see it is if the fan has to run, the cooling system is maxed out, at that time, and needs the fan to run for assistance. Under those conditions, then the coolant temperature will cycle between fan on and fan off temperatures, thermostat open all of the time. If the heat load to the cooling system is reduced, then that cycle time will be extended.

Does that sound logical?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
These bikes run really hot and the cooling system needs all the help it can get to keep the engine temps down. They run lean and hot to meet EPA requirements. Extra gas from a fuel controller (bike run lean and hot stock to meet EPA requirements) or Ivan's helps to bring down the engine temps. Better heat transferring oil and coolant, fan coming on at lower temps and the fan staying on longer all help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the coolant flush last year in November (winter). I replaced the coolant with "engine ice". The engine still gets hot while stopped but it gets cooler faster when you start moving. Now that we're almost in summer I realized I'm feeling more heat in my legs while riding, probably the radiator is more efficient taking out the heat.
I'm doing Ivan's now, sent the ECU 2 days ago. Besides the engine running lean, I believe another source of extra heat is the ignition timing. Retarded ignition makes the engine run hotter, advanced ignition makes it ping. People that has Ivan's flash reports that the engine runs cooler and also they get some pinging when forcing it, that means the ignition is advanced.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Pinging is NEVER EVER good for an engine and if it is due to advanced ignition timing then the timing IS TOO FAR ADVANCED. PERIOD. Been hearing this occurrence of pinging for quite some time (from the beginning if I remember correctly) about that flash.

My throttle mod along with my custom mapping on my dyno for my Vaq accomplished many things. Careful tuning of all parameters netted me good power and torque (the last dyno session was at 95,000 miles, it made 88 H.P. and 108 pnds tork), a cooler running engine AND 45 to 51 MPG. Just b4 I retired that Vaq I came up with my Gen2 throttle mod which just about equaled the flash.

ON 87 OCTANE.....with NEVER a ping.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pinging is NEVER EVER good for an engine and if it is due to advanced ignition timing then the timing IS TOO FAR ADVANCED. PERIOD. Been hearing this occurrence of pinging for quite some time (from the beginning if I remember correctly) about that flash.

My throttle mod along with my custom mapping on my dyno for my Vaq accomplished many things. Careful tuning of all parameters netted me good power and torque (the last dyno session was at 95,000 miles, it made 88 H.P. and 108 pnds tork), a cooler running engine AND 45 to 51 MPG. Just b4 I retired that Vaq I came up with my Gen2 throttle mod which just about equaled the flash.

ON 87 OCTANE.....with NEVER a ping.

RACNRAY
which fuel controller is your custom map for?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I use the full Synth and switched the coolant over to engine ice. I noticed a big difference. if the fan comes on it doesn't stay on for long.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
which fuel controller is your custom map for?
I had a PCV on the skoot. I had made quite a few custom maps during my time with that skoot as I never stopped playin with it. That last remap session at 95,000 miles was to accommodate a plenum intake I had designed and made

RACNRAY

1 - 20 of 21 Posts