Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 VN800A seems to be a little soft. Granted, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, so I'm no lightweight, but it seems like the bike sinks a bit too much when I saddle up.
I was reading about the preload adjust and figured I'd give the adjustment a shot, but this is what I found:

I'm assuming it's already at the highest level or has the most preload?

Should I be looking for a replacement shock and/or spring (if that's even available)?

·
Registered
297 Posts
That preload is set as stiff as it will go. Can't give you advise on if there's another shock or spring available hope someone can answer that for you

·
Registered
232 Posts
Those shocks are 20 years old. By all means, do a bit of research & choose some that will accomplish what you're after. Even stock replacement, if available will be an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Prelod will not make it harder. It will just prevent it from bottoming out. Say, does it bottoms out even on maximum!? Are You sure? If yes, it needs a replacement. If no, its normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could someone please tell me where this adjustment is on my 2002? I can not even find it in the manual or the shop manual. Unless i am missing something. I like mine set the mid adjustment on all my mono shock bikes. Im 5'8 and 180 and never have a passenger and being a bit lower suits me better. That also looks like a real pain to get to to adjust. Maybe?

Respects

Harry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it doesn't bottom out, even with me and my wife on board, but it just seemed to be traveling farther than I expected. I guess it's normal, though. Looks like a decent replacement shock is ~$450, so that will wait a while.

harry, I removed the right side cover and compartment to get to it. Took about 5 minutes. I hear that adjustment is made via a long bar/screwdriver/rod/etc...and a hammer and is best accomplished with the bike on a stand, raising the rear wheel and taking load off of the shock.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i tried using a big heavy duty screwdriver and hammered at the shock, didn't budge it, so removed the shock to adjust it to #4, there are 7 setting, you only turn it 1 way, after #7 (hardest) it drops back down to #1 again (lightest setting)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts