Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to all. Got a decision to make and would appreciate all opinions. Mines a 98 1500 classic. Purchased it recently (6-24-14). Has 24,500 miles on it. Did the coyote conversion on the air intake, 155 main, 2.2 turns. Changed the cam chain tensioners, from Joe Norris. Changed oil here last month and it started leaking from the rear jug valve cover and dripping directly on to the rear header pipe. :mad:
Was going to wait till winter to address the POG. I suppose all the weak points of this particular motor are beginning to surface.
I've talked to a mechanic that knows all about the issues this motor has. Question is, since I have to remove the motor to fix the leak, should I go ahead and to a top end job to it? Yes, I would address the POG at the same time. Just want to know if there's anything else that should fixed while the motors out.
I do like the looks and ride of this bike a whole lot, wife does also. Can it be made mechanically sound I guess is my biggest concern. Thanks for a great forum!!

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
These motors can easily go 75-100k without a top end rebuild, depending on how you ride and what your maintenance habits are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts