Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to put a Nomad Backrest with Handles on a Classic?

Hi Guys,

The wife likes the idea of having handles attached to the backrest just like the OEM Nomad backrest. Problem is, I have a '12 Classic and I don't believe the bolt holes line up and perhaps even the existing trim won't allow it.

Anyone know if this was ever attempted or have any thoughts about trying this?

Unfortunately if I order the OEM Nomad Backrest and it doesn't fit...I might not be able to return it

Here's what I am looking for :http://www.johnnykspowersports.com/pages/PublicMedia/GetMedia/322097

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good question. One thing you can try is to look up the OEM part #'s for both the Classic and Nomad rear fenders. If they match then you may not require a new fender at least to mount the back rest. Closely examining and comparing the expanded parts diagrams between the two bikes might give you a clue if they are compatible or not for swapping parts. If the bolts do line up you might be able to just mount it directly but it will look a little Frankensteinish IMO.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Before you invest some time into this, know that to acquire all the parts that make up the Nomad backrest will set you back $1300. They show up on ebay from time to time, but make sure all the parts are there before you jump. I was able to get one for my Voyager for $500 complete.

If your not located too far from me, you are welcome to come by and see if it matches up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer but I'm a bit too far from you :)

I had asked about 3 local dealers (parts dept) and no one could answer this also...which surprises me somewhat! I have measured the bolt centres between the Nomad and Classic and it's about 1/2 inch off. Like matt7even stated, it might look weird after all but we'll see.

That said, I must have lucked out since I just located someone on the west coast (Vancouver) who is selling a complete oem backrest off his '09 Nomad which he is replacing with an aftermarket 'case' one. Now for the drum roll....160$ and he swears it's in mint condition..pad etc. I've seen pics of it and it looks to be in perfect shape.

So now, I wait till Friday for its delivery and see if/how it fits on the Classic. Worst case scenario - I resell it.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I'm a bit too far from you :)

I had asked about 3 local dealers (parts dept) and no one could answer this also...which surprises me somewhat! I have measured the bolt centres between the Nomad and Classic and it's about 1/2 inch off. Like matt7even stated, it might look weird after all but we'll see.

That said, I must have lucked out since I just located someone on the west coast (Vancouver) who is selling a complete oem backrest off his '09 Nomad which he is replacing with an aftermarket 'case' one. Now for the drum roll....160$ and he swears it's in mint condition..pad etc. I've seen pics of it and it looks to be in perfect shape.

So now, I wait till Friday for its delivery and see if/how it fits on the Classic. Worst case scenario - I resell it.

Stay tuned...
If it is complete, you can't go wrong at that price. Good Luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where there's a will, there's a way. I have a Nomad 1700 backrest on my Vulcan 900 Custom. No it doesn't look factory (my bags do a pretty decent job of covering up the mounting points) and I had to do some fabrication to get it to work, but my wife loves it and it's the best looking rest out there!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well folks, it all works out perfectly without any mods whatsoever. Only about $5 in hardware for longer metric bolts and it fits nicely. As a matter of fact, it doesn't look out of place one bit. The bulkiness of the backrest (which I like) matches perfectly with the curves of the Classic seat and tank which all compliment each other.

The only thing missing to really complete the look would be to add the strut covers on the tips/ends of the side (parts 14091 and 14091A) which I will do eventually.

As I mentioned before, I had purchased this complete backrest for pretty cheap (thanks Darrly!) and wasn't even 100% sure it would fit the Classic but in the end, the bike frame itself does come with optional side holes that allowed for this fitting. Kawasaki got it right this time. So I assume any 2009+ Backrest can be used on a Classic.

I uploaded some pics for you guys to take a look at the fitting located in
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1578

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well folks, it all works out perfectly without any mods whatsoever. Only about $5 in hardware for longer metric bolts and it fits nicely. As a matter of fact, it doesn't look out of place one bit. The bulkiness of the backrest (which I like) matches perfectly with the curves of the Classic seat and tank which all compliment each other.

The only thing missing to really complete the look would be to add the strut covers on the tips/ends of the side (parts 14091 and 14091A) which I will do eventually.

As I mentioned before, I had purchased this complete backrest for pretty cheap (thanks Darrly!) and wasn't even 100% sure it would fit the Classic but in the end, the bike frame itself does come with optional side holes that allowed for this fitting. Kawasaki got it right this time. So I assume any 2009+ Backrest can be used on a Classic.

I uploaded some pics for you guys to take a look at the fitting located in
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1578

Let me know what you think.
Awesome! Now I wonder if the Nomad passenger seat would fit to complete the comfort conversion for your passenger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts