Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is a crash bar really necessary? Has anyone dropped their bike and said "Phew, I'm glad I had that crashbar on".
2. How much can I expect to pay for an oem light bar.
3. Given the choice between the two, what should I spring for first?

Thanks and regards, Silenthill.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The first farkle I added without any hesitation was a crashbar. It was my only add-on at puschase. It's not about your engine if you drop the bike... it's about your leg if you crash it. A good friend of mine hit an oil slick on his Harley at about 70 mph and credits his crashbar for having saved his leg. That's good enough for me.
As for the lightbar, I purchased a Cobra lightbar on eBay for a lot less than the OEM version and it looks great and works great. It installed in about 15-20 easy minutes and is a real boon for night riding. Using during the day also makes the bike look bigger than it is...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I highly recommend the crash guard, and like Bones said is not for the protection of the bike but for the protection of your legs. I was in an accident earlier this year that totaled my 09 Custom (after a tractor trailer made turn on red into my lane while I was in the intersection). In my case there were no ‘outs’ to avoid the truck besides laying the bike down. So, laid the bike down and rolled through the intersection several times, AND I was able to walk away unhurt (sore but unhurt). If I didn’t have the crash guard I would have probably broken my leg or ankle. Ins replaced the bike, this time I got the 09 Classic – first purchase was another crash guard.

·
Administrator
11,999 Posts
I highly recommend the crash guard, and like Bones said is not for the protection of the bike but for the protection of your legs. I was in an accident earlier this year that totaled my 09 Custom (after a tractor trailer made turn on red into my lane while I was in the intersection). In my case there were no ‘outs’ to avoid the truck besides laying the bike down. So, laid the bike down and rolled through the intersection several times, AND I was able to walk away unhurt (sore but unhurt). If I didn’t have the crash guard I would have probably broken my leg or ankle. Ins replaced the bike, this time I got the 09 Classic – first purchase was another crash guard.
Years ago (On a KZ1000 LTD) I did a similar thing and slid along the asphalt on the crash bar. Later when examining the bar, it was ground half way through! :eek: This could've been my leg! They are so worth the investment!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is a crash bar worth it?

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

I have dropped my bike twice in parking lots. One was the infamous "forgot to use the kick stand drop" and the other was a tight u turn into a spot on a slope... both were serious "D'OH!" moments.

I was riding for 3 months when I joined the patriot guard. I watched to riders colide and go down. The Nomad was badly damaged, but the rider was OK. Banged and slightly rashed, but no serious injuries. After that ride, I went home and ordered my bar.

$hit happens... be prepared.

The bar protects both you and the engine. In the case of a drop like mine, it keeps the paint and motor off of the ground and conversely makes it much easier to pick up.

The light bar is awesome, but not as essential. They look awesome, light up the road like it's daytime, and really anything we do to be seen by others is a major plus.

However. If I had to pick one or the other... crash bar first, then save up for the lights later.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What CycleDude said. It ain't a question of IF you drop your ride, but WHEN. That bar will keep your bike from getting skinned, and keep you from getting pinned as well as being a big help getting it back upright.

Unless you absolutely want the OEM light bar, the Cobra works just as well for less money. BTW, if you decide to actually go with the OEM bar, DO NOT purchase the Cobra engine guard cuz the OEM bar will smack into the bar. If you get OEM bar, get the OEM engine guards to go with, unless there's another maker that will work. I know the Cobra won't. Lindby now makes their bar for the 900. Pricey, but nice as they come.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is a crash bar worth it?

I have dropped my bike twice in parking lots. One was the infamous "forgot to use the kick stand drop" and the other was a tight u turn into a spot on a slope... both were serious "D'OH!" moments.

The light bar is awesome, but not as essential. They look awesome, light up the road like it's daytime, and really anything we do to be seen by others is a major plus.

However. If I had to pick one or the other... crash bar first, then save up for the lights later.
On the first, I have been NEAR dropping the bike with what you call the "infamous forgot to use the kick stand drop", but I noticed it going farther than it should and LEEEEEEANED into it. Still not enough to stop it, but it caught on the driver's peg and held with my weight 'til I could slide a foot out and push it back up. Bruised the hell outta my leg, and made me start thinking about a crashbar immediately, as I love my pretty red tank AND thought about how friggin' heavy that thing was once the balance was lost.

Unfortunately, a backrest is 1st on the list, for the wife's comfort. Well, ok... not unfortunately, as I want my wife to feel comfortable when riding 2-up if it means she'll come along more often. ;) After that, crash bar has full priority.

As for the light bar... I just ride around with the bright on at night, nobody flashes me, and it's far easier to see, but there have been quite a few studies about the safety side of things. Spread lights make you appear closer than a single headlight, thus people have less of a tendency to do stupid things right in front of you.

Both good upgrades, and both on my list. I agree with CD though... crash bar should have priority.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Crashbar a safe bet, I got knocked down in an intersection on my 800 and hardly any damage to the bike, or myself, because of the crashbar and saddlebags.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unless you absolutely want the OEM light bar, the Cobra works just as well for less money. BTW, if you decide to actually go with the OEM bar, DO NOT purchase the Cobra engine guard cuz the OEM bar will smack into the bar.
Correct. The OEM light bar drops the blinkers down in the way of the engine guard at full lock.

I bougt the Custom World light bar, which at the time was cheaper than the Cobra. The Cobra bar shoves the blinkers waaaay far out and I personally didn't care for it. The Custom World (CW) bar is not actually a bar per se, but two lamps that mount on the existing blinker bar. This way It is a non-issue in regards to interference with crash guards.

As another cost saver, I bought the MC Enterprises crash guards. I saved $100 with the MCE and CW combo over the Cobra lights/bar combo, and you really dont want to know how expensive the OEM stuff is. It'll make you cry...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unfortunately, a backrest is 1st on the list, for the wife's comfort. Well, ok... not unfortunately, as I want my wife to feel comfortable when riding 2-up if it means she'll come along more often. ;) After that, crash bar has full priority.
C'mon boys... we all know....

A happy wife makes a happy life....

An unhappy wife..... well, you'll need more than an engine guard to save you...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, crash bar went on tonight, Kawi oem, 10 minutes, looks sweet. All opinions were most welcome, oh, 225.00 taxes in.

Regards, Silenthill

·
Registered
441 Posts
What CycleDude said. It ain't a question of IF you drop your ride, but WHEN. That bar will keep your bike from getting skinned, and keep you from getting pinned as well as being a big help getting it back upright.

Unless you absolutely want the OEM light bar, the Cobra works just as well for less money. BTW, if you decide to actually go with the OEM bar, DO NOT purchase the Cobra engine guard cuz the OEM bar will smack into the bar. If you get OEM bar, get the OEM engine guards to go with, unless there's another maker that will work. I know the Cobra won't. Lindby now makes their bar for the 900. Pricey, but nice as they come.
I had read an older thread that you posted about the Kawi light bar and Cobra guard. I was planning on getting the Kawi bar because I was hoping it would be "plug n play" with out the use of "Scotch Loks" or T-Taps. I am not sure if they are or are not. I, however, caught a very good deal on eBay on a Cobra light bar. I figured I could wire it the way I would prefer and toss out the T-Taps. I actually like the loks of the Kawi bar better and the shape of the Kawi engine guard but I do not like how the bar is flat above the radiator.

On eBay there is 2 sellers that consistently sell the Cobra Highway Bar for approx $162 shipped. Seems like a good deal. I would have bought that 1st but the light bar I just couldn't pass up. The reason I got it so cheap was because the seller thought it only fit 2006 VN900 classics but the part number shows it fits all of them. I got lucky

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Cobra Lightbar for the Classic and Classic LT are the same. However, the one for the Custom is different. I know becuse the guy I bought mine from had sent me the wrong bar (he quickly replaced it). I have the OEM crashbar and the Cobra lightbar on the LT and all work really well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Cobra Lightbar for the Classic and Classic LT are the same. However, the one for the Custom is different. I know becuse the guy I bought mine from had sent me the wrong bar (he quickly replaced it). I have the OEM crashbar and the Cobra lightbar on the LT and all work really well.
Well I knew that hehe

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Engine guards have saved my left foot once already..and my chrome a couple of times...:) I just built a $55 light bar for my Vulcan classic 1500.... came out pretty good ! Started a thread by that name today with pics... :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thru the years I have been in a few blunder drop situations, and have watch my wife do the kick stand thing twice... all I can say is thank God we had engine guards... barely even a scratch every time so far. The math would be 500 to 850lbs x force of enertia from the fall = too much weight for anyone's legs.!! :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone come across blacked-out crash bars for the S.E.? If they really protect the engine (and the leg) they must be worth having.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ignore that last question by me. I got lazy. Just went into the Kawasaki site and there's an O.E.M. black one. Looks pretty good, too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts