Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 800, I gave the shop my front and rear wheels and the Michelins had them do the swap, they reused both tubes and I think they are OEM tubes because the rear I am checking now has the 90 degree metal stem, so this was a few month ago and they set the pressure on the rear at 35.5 psi. So 2 weeks I used one of my expensive digital tire gauges to check pressure on the rear and it was at 35.5, then a couple days later I was about to go for a ride and the rear was completely flat as a pancake, so I thought bad valve stem? hole in the tube? but the psi was fine on the rear for 2 months after shop did it so can't be a hole in tube, so I thought it must be either the valve stem or that digital tire gauge I used, so I replaced the valve stem with a new one, and also I checked over my digital gauge and noticed the metal pin on it that pushes on the valve stem was out of line and loose, so I bought a new pressure gauge, pumped up the tire and checked it on Friday using this new gauge and I put 35.5 in the rear, today I checked it again (not using my expensive digital gauge anymore) and it's at 35.0 just now, does that sound like I got a leak? or should I wait a few more days and check it again. I have a sense that my expensive digital car tire pressure gauge I bought off ebay has bit the dust and is broke and side-swipped the valve stem pin to remain out of line enough to let out the air. Dunno what happened.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Tire pressure changes with temperature. I wouldn't be concerned just yet, but I would keep an eye on it. On average, you lose about 3 PSI/month. That's considered normal. Thing to check: make sure the valve core is seated all the way. If they aren't tightened, they can lose little amounts of air.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Tire pressure changes with temperature. I wouldn't be concerned just yet, but I would keep an eye on it. On average, you lose about 3 PSI/month. That's considered normal. Thing to check: make sure the valve core is seated all the way. If they aren't tightened, they can lose little amounts of air.
Did that to a friends car,took core remover and loosened up one his
took 2 days to go flat,he couldn't figure it out,I fixed it
As hayes says keep a eye on it 1/2 lb in 48hrs should'nt b a concern
Had new tires put on mine month ago and haven't even ckd pressure since:surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Did that to a friends car,took core remover and loosened up one his
took 2 days to go flat,he couldn't figure it out,I fixed it
As hayes says keep a eye on it 1/2 lb in 48hrs should'nt b a concern
Had new tires put on mine month ago and haven't even ckd pressure since:surprise:
During the winter, put a cup of water in the tire (easier if you're mounting them). Overnight, they freeze and cause a wicked vibration. As the tires warm up, the ice melts and the vibration goes away. It's fun to watch people try to figure out what the F is going on.

Want to talk pranks? Put 1/2 an ounce of wheel weights on their driveshaft. That's a fun vibration to try and diagnose. I recommend only doing this to people you know because you might get your ass kicked...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know about the normal 3 psi loss/month, good thing you mentioned it. I checked and snugged up the new valve stem, check psi it's at 35.0, and will keep an eye on it. I like my new tire pressure gauge, bought it at NAPA and I am tossing that expensive digital one, In my humble opinion I think the depression pin on it is broken and is what caused the rear tire to go flat.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
During the winter, put a cup of water in the tire (easier if you're mounting them). Overnight, they freeze and cause a wicked vibration. As the tires warm up, the ice melts and the vibration goes away. It's fun to watch people try to figure out what the F is going on.

Want to talk pranks? Put 1/2 an ounce of wheel weights on their driveshaft. That's a fun vibration to try and diagnose. I recommend only doing this to people you know because you might get your ass kicked...
Little off subject,told a newbie at work to go get a pallet stretcher
Gone for like 1/2 hour,:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wow, while .5PSI over 48 hours doesn't sound bad, I can say that I very rarely have to add air to my tires. Typically I'm adjusting because of changes in temperature, but for instance, I let the bike sit from December (warm 60+ degree day) to March (60+ degree day again), and had 0psi lost in 4 months!

My wife's Shadow, OTOH, loses at .5psi or more per day. I feel like I'm constantly adding air to her tires. Next time she needs tires, I'm having *my* guy do it instead of whatever shop she used lol.

-John

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as of now, I checked my pressures again and the tubes haven't lost any air since I replaced the stem valves for new ones and began using new metal valve caps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts