Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an Iron Butt Ride, Saddle Sore 1000, at the end of this month, mostly interstate. I was wondering what if anything I could do to make the bike more comfortable and bearable. I already have a windshield, Mustang touring seat with back rest, mustache bars, highway pegs, footboards, cramp buster and throttle lock. As for boredom I have a Bluetooth speaker, and headphones, with a MP3 player and can also Bluetooth internet radio from my phone. To keep everything charged I ran a 6’ cable from the outlet I installed in the left side cover to my windshield bag.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Monkey butt powder, stretch, before snd each stop. I planed every 100 miles stop. Get a drink. Bathroom snack.stretch.
I would recommend a pain reliever of your choice. What I call preventive maintenance.
call bank and let them know of such trip, this way they know not to put a hold on your card as you are traveling it happened to my buddy.
It really uneventful. .

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Get some non-padded compression shorts, like for bicycling. The stretchy lycra kind. Wear them instead of underwear. Will keep moisture off of your skin. And make sure you're carrying rain gear regardless of what the weather says. Stay hydrated. Enjoy the ride!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
And ear plugs..you can still here your stero but cuts out a lot of wind noise

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Doing an Iron Butt Ride, Saddle Sore 1000, at the end of this month, mostly interstate. I was wondering what if anything I could do to make the bike more comfortable and bearable. I already have a windshield, Mustang touring seat with back rest, mustache bars, highway pegs, footboards, cramp buster...[/let I QUOTE]

What is a "cramp buster"?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
proud member of the iron butt head association

Doing an Iron Butt Ride, Saddle Sore 1000, at the end of this month, mostly interstate. I was wondering what if anything I could do to make the bike more comfortable and bearable. .
636,, never do understand what the draw is to abuse yor body and bike for such event, for some silly bragging rites..
butt,, if I had a reason to ride to a specific destination and time was limiting factor, then I could understand doing such a thing.. its not undoable as have put in many 16 hour 800+mile daze just traveling.
butt, to ride 500 hard miles out and turn it around 500 miles back, just to say you did it.? no street cred for that.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
What is a "cramp buster"?
g54, its a throttle rocker to give your rite hand a break. you can hold throttle with less grip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
never do understand what the draw is to abuse yor body and bike for such event, for some silly bragging rites..
butt,, if I had a reason to ride to a specific destination and time was limiting factor, then I could understand doing such a thing..
That's essentially how I worked into a Saddle Sore. My first trip to DC for Run for the Wall was when I managed it. The buddy I rode with wanted to get the SS1000 in so on the return trip we left DC, went up through PA and visited the Flight 93 memorial before heading back home to MO/IL. It worked out well enough for us because we were already at the far end of the trip and both needed to be back in a day.

I certainly won't knock anyone for giving it a shot though. Plenty of times I've just thought of jumping on mine and seeing how far I can get in a day before turning around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
636,, never do understand what the draw is to abuse yor body and bike for such event, for some silly bragging rites..
butt,, if I had a reason to ride to a specific destination and time was limiting factor, then I could understand doing such a thing.. its not undoable as have put in many 16 hour 800+mile daze just traveling.
butt, to ride 500 hard miles out and turn it around 500 miles back, just to say you did it.? no street cred for that.
That does have an attraction to some personality types, and some people just can't understand the attraction. I can. I guess it's sorta similar to folks who like to challenge themselves, much like long distance runners grinding out their marathons. I'm not an iron butt'er, and I haven't really been around many motorcyclists for very long, but I hafta say, of all the motorbikers I have been around, those ironbutt guys love to ride bikes more than anyone I've met. They ride just for the ride, and a thousand miles in 24 hrs is nothing for some of them. It would be a grind for me, but I'd like to try it one day, and yeah, just to say I did.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Doing an Iron Butt Ride, Saddle Sore 1000, at the end of this month, mostly interstate.
Eaker, it looks like you just about have everything covered, at least in my inexperienced eyes. Are you doing a one way or round robin? Are you doing the darkthirty part first or last?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It would be a grind for me, but I'd like to try it one day, and yeah, just to say I did.
rf, it's completely doable and of no bragging rites / creds. The question was how to make it bear'able.? I wrote that if it were part of actually going somewhere because of necessity and time, well then it has purpose. and should you do it,. butt for watt it's worth it is just between you and yor bike. don't need no badge for that.
But to ride interstate (worst kind of riding ever invented) 1k miles, just to ride is.. yor not gonna like this.. foolish.
Now if you want to bang out ten bux worth of back roads to, into, thru some scenic landscapes. Whoo Hoo! Now your putting chips on the table.
Butt interstates? 5 bux up and 5 bux bak? are for filled with stinky loud trux n cars. Bleck! why subject yourself, body, bike to such abuse?

·
Registered
814 Posts
rf, it's completely doable and of no bragging rites / creds. The question was how to make it bear'able.?
Well, my bucket has sprung a few leaks over the years son, and could use a few more ounces of braggadocio. You hit it on the money, but there was no mention of a yonder & back, and the OP didn't state his reason. For all we know it could be the finishing touch on a college thesis, or Aunt Martha is teetering. But neither of us helped him much.

And man, I disagree about the Slab vs back road travel, the safety aspect that is, not counting going thru those awful big towns, at least in the east half of the U.S. We don't have jackrabbits over here, but that's not the only reason you don't see em on the slab.

You say foolish. Balderdash! I gotta get up right this minute and head for the dentist, and I'll take the bike instead of the truck. Now, that's foolish!;)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I certainly won't knock anyone for giving it a shot though. Plenty of times I've just thought of jumping on mine and seeing how far I can get in a day before turning around.
sc, yor episode involved the actual NEED to be somewhere at a specific time, so it had merit to endure whatever it took to get er dun..

riding for riding sake is part of the hook that these m/c impart. if you can find you a road that allows you to disengage from your daily grind and get in yor zen state.. I'd hate to ever get to were droning at speed (so as not to get run over) on the superslab was how I got my fix..

as per yor outline above, if it were to ride till a fixed time were consumed would require a departure time, elapsed time and ETA return time. divide total time by 2. that's how many hours out you can do and then turn it around. how far is that? why? what is so special about that place? to suffer at high speed droning (yuk! what a perfect waste of the fixed number of miles of yor bike and heartbeats of yor life).. So how would you feel if you got, say less than halfway and decided you really needed to turn it around? so you busted yor butt and came up shy of some foolish goal? the only good thing that can come of this exercise is to realize it was a stupid idea in the first place and wont do that agin..

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
And man, I disagree about the Slab vs back road travel, the safety aspect that is,

not counting going thru those awful big towns, at least in the east half of the U.S. We don't have jackrabbits over here, but that's not the only reason you don't see em on the slab.

You say foolish. Balderdash! I gotta get up right this minute and head for the dentist, and I'll take the bike instead of the truck. Now, that's foolish!;)
safety vs the superslab? that's yor argument? oh geesh, this is gonna be too ez.. this reminds me of my brother who would ride prefer to ride the "ditch" ya that's the super slab, the "ditch" in with all the noisy stinky out of control trux n cars going way the f too fast and most of them not paying attention, just cuz they are all moving in the same direction? if you spent anytime at all on the SS you will agree you've seen everykind of distracted driver. more than once folks reading,, yes READING a book, a newspaper, or even TEXTING. watching TV and Eating, getting dressed, getting undressed, peeing, doing all kinds of non driving activities, because they are trapped in a comfy cacoon and are bored. and you say you are safe riding among them.. no thanks, you can have your "ditch"..
I will take the back roads thru all the "little towns" out west and none of your BIG cities back east. aka libland. I mite hafta shoot som them para'sites..

I hope the dentist don't give you any medication b4 you ride that bike back in traffic.. poncho

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Ponch,
I get it. You would not do the 1000 mile ride unless it meant something more than it does. The OP just wants to make the ride for his own reasons. Stop raining on his parade. I usually enjoy your insight, but today give it a rest. This guy is looking for advice on making the ride, not reasons to avoid it.

I probably would not do it either, especially on the superslab, but if he is up to it and his bike is in good shape, ride on man. Be safe, have fun, come home like you left, in one piece.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Stop raining on his parade. but today give it a rest..
hokay.. no mor rain.. rest it is.. not at ss rest area tho. poncho

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
"ss" ????
state sponsored
single sexy
sorta sexy
super sexy
crossroads
bah hah hah hah

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
"ss" ????..state sponsored single sexy sorta sexy super sexy crossroads bah hah hah hah
well geesh,:confused: considering the topic.. super slab would suffice...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
as per yor outline above, if it were to ride till a fixed time were consumed would require a departure time, elapsed time and ETA return time. divide total time by 2. that's how many hours out you can do and then turn it around. how far is that? why? what is so special about that place? to suffer at high speed droning (yuk! what a perfect waste of the fixed number of miles of yor bike and heartbeats of yor life).. So how would you feel if you got, say less than halfway and decided you really needed to turn it around? so you busted yor butt and came up shy of some foolish goal? the only good thing that can come of this exercise is to realize it was a stupid idea in the first place and wont do that agin..
My goal in all of that would be to see somewhere I haven't. If I don't make it then so be it. Specifically I keep thinking about taking out towards Tulsa, OK some time on a Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday. It's mostly interstate, yes, but I'm making no assumption that I'm going to run it at a breakneck pace or stay strictly on the slab. I guess that's where my statement wasn't clear. I'm thinking about a nice easy ride across the ozarks with stops as needed to check out whatever might be interesting. I'd even consider hopping off and catching two lane/twisty roads especially if there's something neat to see. Plus, the Ozarks are beautiful even along the slab.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My goal in all of that would be to see somewhere I haven't. If I don't make it then so be it. Specifically I keep thinking about taking out towards Tulsa, OK some time on a Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday. It's mostly interstate, yes, but I'm making no assumption that I'm going to run it at a breakneck pace or stay strictly on the slab. I guess that's where my statement wasn't clear. I'm thinking about a nice easy ride across the ozarks with stops as needed to check out whatever might be interesting. I'd even consider hopping off and catching two lane/twisty roads especially if there's something neat to see. Plus, the Ozarks are beautiful even along the slab.
sc,, ive been admonished not to respond to yor now quantified and qualified reply.. so yor gonna hafta just wing it.. besides yor ride is now 2 daze not 1. and yor outline is not gonna get you anywhere near that 1k mark some think is "special".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts