Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not gonna ask about performance etc. Etc. That dead horse has been beat. Dropping in ngk iridiums on my 9 and just wondering what an approximate change interval would be since they last longer......i record all the maintenance i performed on me bike for reference......thanks for any input dudes

·
Registered
539 Posts
I put NGK iridium plugs in my 900 some time ago. No issues so far. I was thinking about getting maybe 30K out of them. I know they can go 50K in a car. They should go quite a bit longer than OEM, but so far I haven't seen anything on how long they are expected to last in the 900.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow 30k would be quite the jump the good book calls for replacement every 7.5k i was thinking i would just do em every 15 k miles.....30k would be great i wonder how long everyone else leaves them in for

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a 500 with 31000 miles and the original plugs.
I took them out past summer and they look good and I put them back in.
Not worried one bit. Maybe check them at 40000 miles.
Dont know what the change interval is, but they looked good.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
142 Posts
Guess I'm different than most, what else is new? NGK iridium plugs are cheap, less than $10 each at most retailers. My annual mileage is 10k - 12k a year. I change plugs once a year, usually in the spring. I have used NGK iridium plugs on my last two bikes and never had an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah since we only need two im not really worried about the price lol 10 to 12 seems pretty fair im putting them in tonight so i appreciate everyone's response :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, since i really have no idea how long the iridium plugs will last, I'll pull them once a year and see how they look.

·
Registered
266 Posts
do they come gapped? whats the gap size for v900's anyway? i think all ihave to do is remove tank or swivel it to the side while lines/hoses r attached, and socket out the plugs, no? do yall know

mine are 7 yrs old but less than 5kmiles , so i think time has passed a bit , could use some hp restoration...........thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the tools that came with the bike it has a nifty pivoting socket wrench so u can get em out without messing with the tank if not then yeah probably have to remove tank to get your socket extension in ther.....the ngk iridiums i ordered from Amazon are pre gapped

·
Registered
539 Posts
Gap is .035, but be careful while gapping as the small electrode on the iridium plug appears a bit fragile looking. I would never trust pre-gapping, with bumps during shipping, etc. On the 2 plugs I bought, one was gapped correctly and one was not.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The OEM spark plugs in my Nomad are iridium, and the manual calls for replacement at 30,000 miles. I'm guessing you could assume 30k on your 900??

·
Registered
266 Posts
hey car guy,, thanks, not sure what you mean abot the 900? i dont think plugs are like fluid, where time is more crucial than miles, correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting 30k out of theese plugs would be fantastic....well they seem to be working great so far

·
Registered
338 Posts
hey car guy,, thanks, not sure what you mean abot the 900? i dont think plugs are like fluid, where time is more crucial than miles, correct?
Yeah. Spark plugs don't wear out on time. Only when they're used do they wear. Re: about the 900. This thread is in the 900 section, so since my Nomad is a 1700 I can only assume they would last as long in a 900. (Maybe longer???)

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
The iridium tip is extremely hard and very resistance to erosion. I ran a set of iridiums for 50,000 miles and the gap was same when I put them in.With that kinda longevity and slight performance and mpg improvement over stock plugs they are well worth the $$ and you can put them in and kinda forget about em!!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
20 Posts
plugs are cheap, i replace them every year. one less thing to worry about causing an issue in the spring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah they are cheap enough.....im out here in socal so i have been riding all year long only missed a few days in winter lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
money is not the only issue.. creating unnecessary trash is also a concern :}
that being said, best practice is to contact the manufacturer of the spark plugs...

the gap and the resistance of the plugs tell you when it's time to change them (given the engine is running as it should). some vehicles that use Iridium call for replacement 75K miles. I've seen 120K miles Iridiums (Mazda3) that still had the proper gap, meaning very little wear. it's a good practice to check the spark plugs.. 1, you can inspect the gap and 2, it guarantees that the plugs won't get seized/locked..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting... i have a multi meter how would i check the resistance of the plug i am curious

1 - 20 of 22 Posts