Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the part number for a set of Iridium plugs for our nines...I ride an 09-900-lt.
Thanks in advance. There are a couple of different numbers floating out there, and I just want to be sure.
Regards-Silent.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was confused by this also as I have seen two different NGK types for the 9, so I contacted sparkplugs.com and this was their reply: Hope it helps.

Hello,

NGK's catalog lists the CPR7EA-9, the iridium version would be the CPR7EAIX-9. The CR7EIX would NOT be recommended, it does not have a projected tip as the recommended plug does and may not reach far enough into the cylinder, causing misfires or poor performance. The gap setting is also different on these two plugs.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/motorcycles/step4.asp?id=1983&type=reg

Olivia Smith
Customer Service
[email protected]
888-800-9629
951-672-8501
951-672-0759 fax

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can anyone tell me the part number for a set of Iridium plugs for our nines...I ride an 09-900-lt.
Thanks in advance. There are a couple of different numbers floating out there, and I just want to be sure.
Regards-Silent.
I have the box number in front of me,I just installed a set about month or so ago,CPR7EAIX-9,and this is the only plug you want to use and the correct plug.hope you can find them at a better price than i did.but it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have the box number in front of me,I just installed a set about month or so ago,CPR7EAIX-9,and this is the only plug you want to use and the correct plug.hope you can find them at a better price than i did.but it was worth it.
Here's the print out from the order I placed with Sparkplugs.com a little over a year ago. Hope it helps. Following is a summary of your order:
4 - NGK IX iridium
Stock Number: 9198
Part Number: CPR7EAIX-9
Unit Price: $7.82
Extended Price: $31.28

Subtotal: $31.28
Shipping & Handling: $12.56 (UPS Ground)
Tax: $2.74
Total: $46.58

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's ture, they no longer list the CPR7EAIX-9 for our 900's. I thought they did at one point. Wonder if there were any reported issues and that's why they no longer recommend it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a million guys, much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's ture, they no longer list the CPR7EAIX-9 for our 900's. I thought they did at one point. Wonder if there were any reported issues and that's why they no longer recommend it.
Christ, really?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's true, they no longer list the CPR7EAIX-9 for our 900's. I thought they did at one point. Wonder if there were any reported issues and that's why they no longer recommend it.
Strange my reply email from sparkplugs.com I posted earlier in this thread was dated 20th April, so not that old.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep, here's my order too, dated April 18 confirmation from SPARKLPUGS.COM;

Following is a summary of your order:
2 - NGK IX iridium
Stock Number: 9198
Part Number: CPR7EAIX-9
Unit Price: $7.83
Extended Price: $15.66

Subtotal: $15.66
Shipping & Handling: $6.95 (USPS Priority Mail)
Total: $22.61

Bike runs real nice with them. So far no problems in the first 1000 miles. Of course, the bike was also running real nice before the change. Can't say there is a noticeable difference in the ride, but I just feel better for some reason, knowing they're in there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Okay, I just recently looked at my stock plugs after doing some changes to pipes/intake and adding a Dobeck fuel processor. At 23000 miles, they looked great. I saw no discoloration or burning of the plug. There was no carbon build up, nor any missing metal. So, assuming that my stock plugs are fine, is there a reason I should go to Iridium plugs? Is there a benefit to the Iridium plugs over a standard plug that I will notice? Like, better fuel mileage, more torque, etc.???

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Okay, I just recently looked at my stock plugs after doing some changes to pipes/intake and adding a Dobeck fuel processor. At 23000 miles, they looked great. I saw no discoloration or burning of the plug. There was no carbon build up, nor any missing metal. So, assuming that my stock plugs are fine, is there a reason I should go to Iridium plugs? Is there a benefit to the Iridium plugs over a standard plug that I will notice? Like, better fuel mileage, more torque, etc.???
Over time a spark plug will loose some if it's efficiency for two basic reasons. One is the insulator has contamination on it and allows some, or all, of the spark to track down it to frame ground and second the sharp edges of the electrode will round off and make it more difficult for the charge to jump the gap. Most likely you will never notice a difference until the bike is under a load at which time there may be some misfiring. The design of a performance plug should be one that gives a clear view of the spark to the charge. In other words if the electrode is shrouding the spark then there's the possibility the charge may not fire off completely. There were two ways to fix that problem before all the new plug designs came along. One was to index the plugs so the electrode was facing away from the top of the piston and the other was to take a file or Dremel and take metal away from the electrode about half way across the face of the charging electrode. Both were in theory allowing the spark to be unobstructed to the fresh charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts