Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having issues with the ipod adapter? For my experience I don't think it was well thought out, seems to have some binding/bending at the bottom when trying to put it all back in.

Right now I have an old iphone 3 I use and it will just randomly flip to another song (maybe not so random, it seems to be the vibration of the bike that does it)

So Frustrating!

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the iPod has a hard drive type memory the vibration will cause it to skip.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use my Iphone4 and it seems fine , even charges it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use my Iphone4 and it seems fine , even charges it.
Do you have any problems hooking it up and getting it into the compartment? I always seem to have a bit of a struggle...

Do they have a newer version for the gen5 iphone/ipod with the lightening connector?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the iPod has a hard drive type memory the vibration will cause it to skip.
As far as I know, no Iphones or iPods (except ipod classic) have a HDD. they all use flash memory

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I was using ipod touch and wrapped it in a micro-fiber towel with a rubber band around it. I found the rubber holder /wiring to be a problem too. I never had a problem in 30K+ miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using ipod touch and wrapped it in a micro-fiber towel with a rubber band around it. I found the rubber holder /wiring to be a problem too. I never had a problem in 30K+ miles.
Yea thought about that too, maybe a plastic baggie on it to keep water off (dont know how water tight the compartment is.)

Glad to know it's not just me! :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
The iPod adapter is very badly designed.
The problem is the foam holder and the limited space in the fairing box.
The cable going to the iPod has to turn a sharp angle, and is then compressed when the lid of the box is closed, causing the wires to eventually break. My first one supplied with the bike broke within 24hours. I had a new one issued under warranty.
The problem is not too bad if you use one of the smaller iPod shuffles, but the new ones have a different connector which need an adapter, which takes up even more space.
My solution to this was, when using my iPod touch, same size as an iPhone, is to ditch the large foam thing, and leave my iPod in it's slim pouch, inverted so I can plug in the cable, so the iPod is protected to a degree, and certainly won't get scratched, and then place a folded up cloth in the fairing box with the iPod to stop it bouncing around. This way the cables are not crimped against the foam thing, and the iPod can't bounce around.
I've done nearly 3000 miles with this set up with no problems.
Plus I have a cloth to hand should I need one!!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had to cut the left corner of the foam off for it to work for me. . wrapping it would also work, just to keep the vibration down. if you use an iphone 5 , you'd need to get the adapter. but dont know if it works

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The iPod adapter is very badly designed.
The problem is the foam holder and the limited space in the fairing box.
The cable going to the iPod has to turn a sharp angle, and is then compressed when the lid of the box is closed, causing the wires to eventually break. My first one supplied with the bike broke within 24hours. I had a new one issued under warranty.
The problem is not too bad if you use one of the smaller iPod shuffles, but the new ones have a different connector which need an adapter, which takes up even more space.
My solution to this was, when using my iPod touch, same size as an iPhone, is to ditch the large foam thing, and leave my iPod in it's slim pouch, inverted so I can plug in the cable, so the iPod is protected to a degree, and certainly won't get scratched, and then place a folded up cloth in the fairing box with the iPod to stop it bouncing around. This way the cables are not crimped against the foam thing, and the iPod can't bounce around.
I've done nearly 3000 miles with this set up with no problems.
Plus I have a cloth to hand should I need one!!!!!
Right on, at least it's not just me! Hope to salvage the one I have, i'm sure my warranty is over on the cable now...

Thanks Keef

1 - 10 of 10 Posts