1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read mixed reviews on teh Ipod connector. My questions are

1. Does it work with an Iphone?
2. Does it charge your IPhone?
3. Can you use your handle bar switches for all apps (itunes, spotify, pandora, etc.)
4. Are there any issues with the connector?
5. Has anyone bought a longer cord to mount it on the handlebars or gas tank? How did you run the wire, and does it still charge the phone?
6. Anthing else I should know or consider?

I hate to ask all these questions, but I dont want to waste 100 bucks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
1. Yes - need the 30 pin to Lightning adapter to work on iPhone 5 and 6's - Recommend getting one with at least an 8" cord as makes it easier to plug in and stow in the glove box.
2. Yes it charges the phone
3. I only use the handlebar controls for the music I have loaded up on the iPhone. I can select playlists, songs by artists, shuffle all music, skip songs I'm not in the mood to listen to etc . . .
4. It is not a solid connection - it will occasionally wiggle loose. I taped the 30-lightning adapter together with electrical tape and keep the iphone secure in the foamy thing and it stays together fairly well . . .every now and then it does jiggle loose.
5. I haven't done this - but as long as you get a certified cord it should function fine - may want to consider running it up through the fairing instead of through the glove box.
6. That cord and the associated handle bar controls it provides are the only reason I bought an iPhone over an Android - I love it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Napom has answered all your questions above about running the iPhone through the factory system. It works just fine for the music you have loaded on your phone.

But I was just not a fan of having to lock my phone up in the glove box every time I rode, and then having to unplug it and pull it out every time I parked.

A 6th Gen. iPod Nano is a fairly inexpensive alternative. Mine stays in the glove box ALL the time, except when I need to add new music. It plays and charges when the key is turned on, and does not drain anything when the key is off. And my phone is still available to make calls.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Napom has answered all your questions above about running the iPhone through the factory system. It works just fine for the music you have loaded on your phone.

But I was just not a fan of having to lock my phone up in the glove box every time I rode, and then having to unplug it and pull it out every time I parked.

A 6th Gen. iPod Nano is a fairly inexpensive alternative. Mine stays in the glove box ALL the time, except when I need to add new music. It plays and charges when the key is turned on, and does not drain anything when the key is off. And my phone is still available to make calls.
As they say - to each their own! I am a big fan of having my phone tucked away where it is safe and always fully charged . . . Especially when riding in areas where it is constantly looking for signal and draining the battery . . . It also gives me the excuse "Honey, you know when I'm on the bike I can't see or talk on the phone as it is locked away . . ."

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did the iPod Nano. It stays in there and works fine. I do have a question though: Has anyone figured out how to have play lists shuffle instead of play alphabetically?

·
Registered
894 Posts
To have playlists shuffle, I set it to shuffle before I put it in the box . . . If I just select a play list from the handlebar controls while rolling down the road . . . Its alphabetical . . . Anyone know different, I'd like to hear too!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't use playlists. I just leave the Nano on "shuffle" (set it to that when you first plug it in and turn it on), and it randomly picks any song on the iPod. Shuffle works fine for the whole library.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is inexcusable and ridiculous that Kawasaki still has not offered an up-to-date solution for the Voyager here. The iPhone 6 DOES NOT fit in the glove box. I run a 30 pin female t0 male cable from the box to my handle bars where i have a RAM mount for my phone. Then i have to use a 30 pin - lightning connector. I've gone through multiple connectors...this is my third OVERPRICED ipod connector kit as they end up shorting out themselves after a while...it sucks. I'm going tomorrow to buy a SENA system for my helmet and i have a touring bike that's SUPPOSED to have a nice sound system. Major disappointment. Argh

Okay - got that off my chest. Am i overlooking something? Is there an alternative out there that's not the Aux cord kit?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Do you have a 6 or a 6 plus? Because my 6 fits in the glovebox just fine. It's a snug squeeze into the foam block but it does fit.

I've never had issues. It is a pain to have to put it in and out (sure, an iPod is nice; but I like to stream music. I also use the MLB at bat app to listen to the ballgames since the radio stations that carry the game don't come in well where I'm at). So that's what the FM radio is for I guess. It is nice on longer trips, to always have a fully charged phone. I have the accessory 12v connector (it's an accessory on the Vaquero, not standard). So I can charge another device in the right glovebox.

I have the 20s also but haven't ever used it for music.

There HAVE been guys who have fabricated brackets to use an aftermarket stereo. The speakers are just speakers, and 12v power is 12v power. If you can mount it, hooking it up is trivial. Get a unit with a rear USB connection, route it into the left glovebox, and you've got a fully featured iPod stereo, compatible with almost any USB audio device or even a thumb drive. Get a unit with bluetooth and keep your phone in your pocket. Though nobody makes a handlebar control adapter for our bikes. So... no handlebar controls. Someone skilled armed with a meter and a Harley-Davidson handlebar control module could possibly adapt said module to work with our handlebar controls. In theory, a switch is a switch.

I use my handlebar controls way too much for a solution like that. I like to skip songs. I have quite an eclectic mix of music and am usually only in the mood for some of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does it cut in and out? I got a Bluetooth adapter and it cuts in and out. v
The only time it cuts in and out is when I'm receiving a phone call, or received an email or the google maps is giving me directions.
These are things i want to hear along the way.
Hope that helps! I like it because I can listento music and when I need a direction from google maps, the music cuts out and the directions are given, then the music blends back in. Love it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picked this up at Princess Auto. Works great!! No wires to worry about!!
Looks like you are using the OEM iPod/MP3 dongle??? Does this allow for the use of the handlebar controls to cycle through songs or are you limited to just volume control? This radio is about the only weak link of this whole bike. I would like to go satellite radio but that's a $400+ option.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did the iPod Nano. It stays in there and works fine. I do have a question though: Has anyone figured out how to have play lists shuffle instead of play alphabetically?
Me too. I'm thinking there is a shuffle button I will look for next time I pull it out.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Me too. I'm thinking there is a shuffle button I will look for next time I pull it out.
I use the shuffle function on my iPod Nano. Plug it into the bike's cable and the iPod will turn on. Then select the Playlist and you will see shuffle at the top. There may be other ways but this is the only way I know of. I believe shuffle is available for Albums and Artists as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could not get my 7th generation Ipod to work with the Ipod connector. So I am using my Iphone 4 as my ipod and it works great and no it does not charge it. It works through your AUX selection on your auditor system.

·
Registered
105 Posts
7th gen has a lightning connector. I know I have one for the gym. You need a 30 pin to lightning adaptor.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have read mixed reviews on teh Ipod connector. My questions are

1. Does it work with an Iphone?
2. Does it charge your IPhone?
3. Can you use your handle bar switches for all apps (itunes, spotify, pandora, etc.)
4. Are there any issues with the connector?
5. Has anyone bought a longer cord to mount it on the handlebars or gas tank? How did you run the wire, and does it still charge the phone?
6. Anthing else I should know or consider?

I hate to ask all these questions, but I don't want to waste 100 bucks.
I had the iPhone 6 Plus. It doesn't fit in the glove box. So, I wired a power outlet in the trunk. Plug it in and forget it. It's paired to my Sena blue tooth head set. I cut the factory connector out of the glove box because I had a XM radio that I got from Best Buy. Wired an aux connector into the factory wiring. That worked ok but kept losing either power or antenna signal due to cheap connectors on the xm radio itself. Got tired of that, took it off and threw it as far into the woods as I could. Got the factory XM module. Easy to install, didn't have to remove the faring as the instructions said. Works great, happy with it. I now have the iPhone 6s Plus and have it mounted to the handle bar with the Ram Mounts X=Grip. The phone is also paired to my head set. So when I ged a call I can answer it without stopping. I can see a text when I receive one and can see if it's important enough to pull over and respond to. I was recently on a trip to Maine. When I got there the roads in my home town area were real rough. The X- Grip held the phone perfectly. Happy with that too. Anyway, that's what I run and I know everyone else's set up is much better and the only way to go, but, the way I have mine set works for me, and I'm the only one who matters to me. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts