Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this with all of you who like to geek-out on a route planning a bit.

inRoute << (iTunes link)

It is an iPhone app. (only available on iPhone). You can place pins and way points to whatever route you want. It will than guide you using your waypoints instead of automatically generated route. You can use any GPS app for actual navigation (including online Google Maps, off line Navigon etc). The app feeds the next way point to the GPS app of your choice.

The app shows you curviness of your route, weather along the route, wind on your route etc. Here is what it looks like:

Know some cool road Appz for iPhone? Share the info. ;)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Impressive. To bad I don't have a I phone

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
iphone app only available for iphone.
... ...
Glad he overstated the obvious....
>snicker<
Sb8gr - ditto not an iphone fan.

Reactions: Snowmobiler

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks for sharing info. Will try it out the next weekend it nice out. Calling for rain all this weekend.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iphone app only available for iphone.

... ...

Glad he overstated the obvious....

>snicker<

Sb8gr - ditto not an iphone fan.

Some Apps are available for both platforms. On Android you have MyMaps. Which is better coz you can do the route in the browser on your Pee/See instead of pocking on the phone.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also works on ipad, I jusr tried it...

Yep, you can also bookmark your routes and share across iCloud to the phone or export as GPX and have it on your standalone GPS unit if it can open standard GPX files

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Phone app

Some Apps are available for both platforms. On Android you have MyMaps. Which is better coz you can do the route in the browser on your Pee/See instead of pocking on the phone.
Thanks, I will take a look at it.
It's just that I have seen few to non Iphone apps for Android systems, thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Definitely gonna give this one a look!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I already hit the point that they want me to pay... It's a good app other than that...

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cost less than a burger. Would you feed developer who spent a few months writing this software :)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Cost less than a burger. Would you feed developer who spent a few months writing this software :)
obviously, you don't know how cheap I am... :D

I'll end up paying for it, though it's still pretty limited in the number of waypoints. Better than any other app for planning though.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Free version is limited on number of points. But you can save a trip as a series of "legs" using bookmarks. Loading a bookmark will load the "leg" of the trip. However it has a bug they should be fixed at some point. When you load a new leg of the trip, the old pins remain, though they are not part of the trip, and they do not alter the route in any way. Just noise on the map. The remove all pins does not always remove them properly. Hopefully there will be a fix for that at some point.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I down loaded mymaps last night. Now I just need to make time to play with it.

Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are welcome.
"MyMaps" is a Google feature. It used to be baked in to Android's Google Maps, but they have yanked it out of there. This causes no end of hate and discontent. Now it is a separate app. (why they did it is beyond my understanding). MyMaps is something that you can use in your browser. Just go to maps.google.com, login with your Google account, click in the search field and you will see "MyMaps" in the drop down. You can plan a trip there. Google allows limited number of waypoints per trip leg, but many trip legs can be made. Save the trip (or "map", they call it) than you can open it in Android's MyMaps app. It will show you trip in there. Clicking on a way point launches the Google Map GPS navigation thing, or whatever GPS app you have installed and set as default. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I create a route with a series of waypoints in InRoute, and then export it to Google Maps. Start navigating, and the program stops working after the first waypoint. At the time of export, there is this message that says something about an option coming up to continue to the next waypoint, but it doesn't seem to come up. Any ideas? This problem makes the app unusable except to get to the first waypoint. But I can do that with Google Maps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts