Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from the dumb phone crowd to the smart from crowd. I had an old Casio Bolder for several years and the phone served me well but the company I worked for insisted I had a smart phone so they got me an iphone 5. But we don't need to get on that topic.

One thing I noticed is that the quality of the phone sounds is better and louder than over my Scala Rider head set than the old Casio was. My wife also told me it sounded even more clear (was not bad to start with) than on the other phone. So that is the good I have noticed right away.

Bu my questions is, is it possible to have the MP3s play over the head set from the iPhone or do I need to hard wire it in? Before I had a cheap MP3 player and the Boulder.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Glad to hear from you SWVA.

Before I got the Ipod connector for my Voyager; I was using my Ipod touch bluetoothed to my Sena SMH5 headset.

I would think it should work fine.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been a creaper a few times here. Checked out a few post but not said anything. lol

When i got it to sync the first time it works fine for all of the phone functions. I have not tried the directions from a mapping app or anything yet. I Just know the music won't. I did not know if it was a setting for the phone or if one of the productions did not support that feature across bluetooth. This is the first Apple product i have touch since the days of Apple II and when floppy disks were still actually floppy.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Which model Scala Rider do you have? Not all of them support A2DP, which is the protocol needed to play music or listen to GPS instructions. Although sometimes you can get the iPhone music to work with the Hands Free protocol (which is used for voice), but it will only be mono audio.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It doesn't list A2DP. That basically means the iPhone sees it like a handsfree bluetooth headset (you know those annoying things that people wear so that you can have a 10 minute conversation with them before finding out they were talking to someone else? :p). So it probably won't play music through it. But you SHOULD be able to connect the iPhone to your Scala Rider via the cable just like you did your old mp3 player.

If you look at the Q2 (and other models) you'll find A2DP listed. That's the bluetooth technology that you need in order to listen to mp3 music with the iPhone;

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2-multiset#technical

Pretty much anything you buy now has that, and A2DP has been around a while (I have a big set of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that I got in like 2005), but for some reason (like everything else) it's late to the motorcycle party.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help Romans. Learn something new everyday.

I hate those little bluetooth devices. I hate when people take calls in public places. Turn it to vibrate and take it some where better. I know there are emergencies but I don't want to hear what you have to say.

Now I just need to find me a mount so I can use the navigation on it. One new toys introduce hundreds of new ideas. I hate it. lol

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks for the help Romans. Learn something new everyday.

I hate those little bluetooth devices. I hate when people take calls in public places. Turn it to vibrate and take it some where better. I know there are emergencies but I don't want to hear what you have to say.

Now I just need to find me a mount so I can use the navigation on it. One new toys introduce hundreds of new ideas. I hate it. lol
I mounted mine but then found I didn't need to. Can't see it in the sun anyway (I also have an iPhone 5), and the voice guidance works just fine. Get the Google Maps app, works great and the voice guidance is spot on. Warns you 2 miles before each turn and tells you what it is.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mounted mine but then found I didn't need to. Can't see it in the sun anyway (I also have an iPhone 5), and the voice guidance works just fine. Get the Google Maps app, works great and the voice guidance is spot on. Warns you 2 miles before each turn and tells you what it is.
I have not tried it out yet but that was one of the first apps I put on it. Being in the mapping/GIS profession, I am a map nerd. From what I have noticed around this area is that the spatial accuracy of Google's maps are better than Bing's or Navteq. But the attribute (Names and route numbers) are better on Bing's online maps.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have not tried it out yet but that was one of the first apps I put on it. Being in the mapping/GIS profession, I am a map nerd. From what I have noticed around this area is that the spatial accuracy of Google's maps are better than Bing's or Navteq. But the attribute (Names and route numbers) are better on Bing's online maps.
Well you're the expert on map accuracy, but I do know the Google app has easy to follow voice directions so the phone just stays in my pocket. That's why I like it. It's never gotten me to the wrong place.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am no expert by any means. All I am saying is what I have noticed in my very rural area. Used to there was pretty much 2 companies that collected this data and were the owners. Then it would get sold to numerous companies (Garmin, TomTom, Leica, Trimble/TDS, MapQuest, and on and on) and they used them. Well then some of the other companies (Google and Apple are 2 good examples) decided to get in that business, since everyone "has" to have them in their cars, and develop their own mapping data base. Before you had to be careful which units you bought because there was a real good chance you were buying the same data with different electronic. Now you can get a completely different product by switching companies, not just different electronic but different data too.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I am no expert by any means. All I am saying is what I have noticed in my very rural area. Used to there was pretty much 2 companies that collected this data and were the owners. Then it would get sold to numerous companies (Garmin, TomTom, Leica, Trimble/TDS, MapQuest, and on and on) and they used them. Well then some of the other companies (Google and Apple are 2 good examples) decided to get in that business, since everyone "has" to have them in their cars, and develop their own mapping data base. Before you had to be careful which units you bought because there was a real good chance you were buying the same data with different electronic. Now you can get a completely different product by switching companies, not just different electronic but different data too.
One cool thing about google though, is that you can send corrections in yourself (and they double check it). When MODOT unexplainably removed a road and bypassed it the long way around (for reasons unknown), I used my Google maps app to 'report' it. Two days later I got an e-mail from google saying they had researched and confirmed the construction and they changed their map.

Didn't know there was that much of a difference between then and now though! I always worry that I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere and my map app is gonna be totally wrong. Although, it would be an adventure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts