Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while now and I have to say that I'm pleased with the group as far as good, honest answers to questions with no flaming...unless it's good natured flaming.

I'm the proud owner of am '09 900SE for a year now and just about to start breaking into mod season. My question is this....aside from the cost and asthetic appearance, does anyone know the fundamental difference between the Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit and the Baron's BAK? If they offer pretty much the same performance enhancement, why the big difference in the cost between the two?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

TopSecret
SSG, NY Army National Guard

'09 900SE

·
Registered
782 Posts
First, I am not answering your question because I don't really know. But I think you would almost have to put two bikes on a dyno with the different set-ups to be able to say which one was really better. As for cost difference, percieved value is a strange thing. I can't figure out why I can do the Wally World driving light for around $50, but the PIAA small chrome lights are in the >$200 range. I mean, I know they are brighter, but that much brighter? Even if you look at exhausts or sissy bars, there are Cobra brand stuff out there that is much cheaper than some of the other brands. Are they actually better??? Who am I to judge? Again, sorry for not actually answering your question, but hopefully my two cents was helpful in some way. Good luck with you mods. I have found working on the bike to be almost as enjoyable as riding her.

·
Registered
306 Posts
only thing i can speculate is the baron seems to be a little bigger , and the cost of crome and materials may be higher. where the big sucker may be made of steel anf barons alum. maybe im not sure but thats the only thing i can see that may drive the price up.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
My guess would be the name "Arlen Ness" costs more money, does'nt mean its any better, Kinda like the brand " Harley Davidson". Over priced dollars for antiquated technology, but people still buy em.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Performance wise, no difference. In fact, there is an example here and on the BTK site of an aftermarket cleaner from O'Reilys that will give you the same performance, and it was about 40 bucks but you have to make your own backer plate for it.

BAK is a big ole piece of chrome and it's the one I have, because I can put my silly sticker on it. I do like the Arlen Ness look AND the cheaper mod. If I had it all to do again I'd use the O'Reilys unit and see about getting my sticker on it somehow. My Sticker is round, so is the breather. The BAK fills the Wedge between the motor pretty good though.

The OEM sucks hot air through the engine fins, turns it 90 degrees, then another 180 to get to the filter and then finally into the bike. The aftermarket kits just suck it through the filter, it bends 90 degrees and into the intake it goes. The only less restriction would be a velocity stack. The Hypercharger, even the one with the flutterbys up front, are just a look with the same effect.

So, all the performance will be equal YOU pay for STYLE.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just redid my stock box like I seen someone on here had done.It sucks the air from the front now,moved the rubber from inside where it was sucking the air to just under the idle adjuster.I then glued the hole that was sucking heat off the rear cylinder with plastic.I may get the BAK later but would like to sit on a 900 that has it to see if my leg touch,s it @ all.I do think this helped get the air in its allot cooler & still quit

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies...

The Arlen Ness kit is cheaper so I guess I'll try that one out...especially if it offers relatively the same performance. I'm trying to not alter the stock appearance of the bike too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts