Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at helmets that have that internal sun shield and was wondering if any one has tried one. i think this would be nice so i can wear my glasses wile i ride and not have the glare from the sun in my face. do they work well?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The common complaints with internal sun visors is that the shields don't come down far enough and aren't dark enough.

I wore an HJC IS-MAX for a few days and have been wearing a Scorpion EXO-1000 for a few months now, both of which have internal sun visors. With the HJC, the visor would actually come down far enough to touch my nose but had intermediate stops to keep it from doing it. It could stand to be a shade or two darker, but I never tried wearing sunglasses underneath it. If you don't like modular helmets, the IS-16 is the full face version of the IS-MAX.

Several Scorpions now have the sun visors. If I remember right, the -500, -900, -1000, and -1100 all have them. With my -1000 there is only Up or Down for the visor with nothing in between. It is a little too light but darker replacements are about $20, I just haven't done it yet.

Your head shape and glasses style will probably determine if you can wear them under an internal sun visor. I never tried with the HJC. I can fit mine behind the visor with my Scorpion, but after a while they make the sides of my head hurt. I wore them every day with my -400 and never had a problem but the thicker padding on this helmet makes the glasses uncomfortable after more than an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I got this Bell revolver Amazon.com for $99 a while back. It has a sun visor flip down. Not a bad helmet. I don't think it is available any more but you may find something comparable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought this one on a clearance sale and love the internal sun shield. It's plenty dark and I find it also deflects a lot of wind on a long ride.

GM55S-FullyDBlack.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
I picked up a drop down visor from leatherup.com last year as an entry level helmet to try out and I like it a lot. I wear glasses and the visor works perfect for me the tint could be a bit darker. http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helmets/Hawk-Silver-Dual-Visor-Open-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet/93107.html

This year I bought the Nolan 104 modular that also has a drop down visor and it's just what I wanted. I would recommend a drop down shield to any one who rides, just flip a switch and you have a sun shield without pulling over. The Nolan has options for different color visors at an additional cost.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I've got the Shoei Neotek modular. I wear my light-sensitive sunglasses all the time as well. I can drop the shield down and with my sunglasses on, I can drive with the sun directly in my face at not even squint. Yes, they work!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just got a pair of EVOS ST-818-5F helmet with the dual visors. The inner visor could be a little lower, but was nice on our vacation last week. Like the modualar design also. These were the 2 things I was looking for when I got them. Amozon purchase for about $110 for the pair shipped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
went to cycle gear a while back, hoping to pick up a modular helmet with an internal sun visor. I just couldn't find one that fit me well. I ended up with a seven zero seven ff with no internal visor lol. maybe next time...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Nolan 3/4 for the summer (with a tinted visor) and a HJC modular for the rest of the year, both with internal drop down visors. I very much like the internal visor feature. I recommend them and would not buy a helmet without one now.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I recently bought a Nolan E43 Trilogy through Revzilla, best helmet I've owned yet. Gives you the option to go full face or 3/4 with or without the shield. Internal sun shield and removable chin guard is great. Check it out. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n43e-trilogy-solid-helmet
I had the Nolan Trilogy and it saved my head during an accident. It now hangs in my garage as a reminder. I went with the Nolan 104 as a replacement and I love it. The internal visor is great and comes down far enough to be really useful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have A HJC modular with drop down visor and love it. I think you would be happy with any drop down visor helmet just have to find the one that fits you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been looking for a while and haven't seen one, but my next gear purchase will hopefully be a pair of Bluetooth helmets with a drop down sunscreen. Does anyone know of such a helmet?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I've been looking for a while and haven't seen one, but my next gear purchase will hopefully be a pair of Bluetooth helmets with a drop down sunscreen. Does anyone know of such a helmet?
Back to HJC again. Bought my modular with the drop down visor and it comes already set for Bluetooth. Small compartment, externally accessible for your unit. Love it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I,ve got a Bell mag 9 with a clear visor and a fighter style that slides down inside it.
The clear is fantastic and you can't event tell it's there.
The sunvisor is not real clear. slight distortions are present, and while it's great in a pinch to flip back and forth on moderate days, a full sun day gets the sunglasses inside the clear.
Not sure why there is distortion, may be the tinting process is f'd up

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the money, I don't believe you can go wrong with an AFX. I bought the highway orange model. When I first bought this helmet (less then $80), the internal shield had a little flaw in the coating. Nothing to obvious, looked like a small drop of water on it. I emailed AFX, who I believe is in California and in less then a week they sent me a new visor, free and I didn't have to return the first one. Very good customer service. The helmet fits very well, according to their fitment charts and I've been very pleased with it's looks and performance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been using this lid I bought off amazon for $50. For a cheap helmet, I like it a lot. It's DOT legal, dual visor. They also make one with a modular face AND the dual visor for about the same price. Order a size bigger than you would normally use. I got mine and it's a bit snug, but comfortable. It's snug around my face and it stays put, not uncomfortable at all. Plus my head doesnt look like a bowling ball when wearing it ;)

Click the amazon link below.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084ABTN0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts