Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have a 2009 900 Custom SE that I've owned for about a month now and I've recently been having a problem with it starting. I turn the key and the fuel injection starts and then the display lights all flicker and go out, if i turn the key off and wait and roll the bike a little and turn it again it turns on fine and starts fine but the time on the clock is reset. not sure what is going on or where to even start. Another thing I've been noticing for the last couple days is after I turn the key on and the fuel injection does it's thing there is a ticking or clicking noise right after the FI that just doesn't sound right and I don't remember hearing before.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
ok, I have a 2009 900 Custom SE that I've owned for about a month now
Still in warranty? Make the dealership track that problem down!

I agree with Richard, though. Check the battery connections first, as that step alone could become your two minute fix up and sounds like the likely culprit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Battery connections. De-corrode, clean, attach firmly, spray with a corrosion prevention spray OR melted Vaseline. The vaseline or spray locks out air and keeps the negative terminal from corroding, but use it on both terminals.

Also check the grounding point on the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so the battery is all good. Last night after coming out of work I noticed something that I didn't hear before... after turning on the key and the FI finishing I pushed the starter button and heard an electrical shorting noise coming from the button then the lights went dead like before and I turned it off and waited a minute and it started up fine but the clock was reset again. is there possibly moisture from the cold air getting into the starter button?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts