Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 03' Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500fi with about 65,000 miles. Two mornings when going to work in the morning it would only turn over and not start. Turned it over until the battery was dying. Tried various things like pulling the choke out, not, turning the key off and back on. Just kept turning over and would not catch. Both were cold mornings. I finally abandoned and drove the cage to work. Came home from work 10 hours later and it started right up 馃 happened about 3 weeks apart and drove numerous times in between without a problem. Any ideas?

Premium Member
Maybe a weak battery. Could also be you might need a higher cold cranking number on the battery for cold starts. I just replaced my battery after 10 years and it made a g big difference in starting.

Premium Member
gotta agree with Patrick. Often while a battery may turn over an engine it will not turn it over fast enough to start. By the time you get home it is warm enough that it turns over faster and starts . I have Lithium batteries that I have to let the bike set with the lights on for a few minutes just to let them warm up enough to start. A load tester would give you a better idea. lotsa luck

Premium Member
Thanks for the responses. I will look into this. The battery is only a couple years old I believe. 3 at the most.
If it hasn't been maintained on a trickle charger, it doesn't take batteries in a motorcycle long to die. 3-4 years is about right. In addition, there are quite a few guys here who have posted about defective batteries that were not old at all. My first battery lasted 4 years because I didn't get a trickle charger. My last battery I just replaced two months ago after having lasted 10 years. But even then, the last year the cranking was a little more sluggish than normal.

Have you checked it before and after cranking with a meter?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If it hasn't been maintained on a trickle charger, it doesn't take batteries in a motorcycle long to die. 3-4 years is about right. In addition, there are quite a few guys here who have posted about defective batteries that were not old at all. My first battery lasted 4 years because I didn't get a trickle charger. My last battery I just replaced two months ago after having lasted 10 years. But even then, the last year the cranking was a little more sluggish than normal.

Have you checked it before and after cranking with a meter?
I have not checked it yet. It goes on a trickle charger in the winter, but not during riding season. Should I have it on a trickle charger even during riding season? Since this problem I have been putting it on the charger and it hasn't happened yet, but it's been less than a week. But started right up this morning on 32 degree temps.

Registered
The aging of the battery has more to do with the power (amps) the battery has than if the volts are good enough.
My last battery measured at 12.5 volts yet didn't have the amps to turn it over.
It was just over 3 years old.

Also a battery just off a charger will have a bit more power, but after you get to your destination and come out to restart it after a few hours, the gain from the charger is gone and you're left with the power the aging battery has, which might not be enough to start it.

That's why you load test. But if you're over 3 years and suspect something, I'd just get a new one.

Registered
If it continues, check the starter solenoid (accessed through the right cover just below the seat). Jump the two screws on it with a screwdriver. If that starts it, it's the solenoid. Been down that road recently.....Good Luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If it continues, check the starter solenoid (accessed through the right cover just below the seat). Jump the two screws on it with a screwdriver. If that starts it, it's the solenoid. Been down that road recently.....Good Luck!
That's interesting. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts