Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

New to this forum, and I haven't been able to find an answer to this so posting a new topic. Sorry if it has been covered before.

I recently bought a new 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS, full power Australian model. It came with a windshield, fog light bar, passenger seat, sissy bar and backrest. I've so far only done 750km on it (466 miles) and have been fairly religious about not revving it beyond 4000rpm, and full service is soon at 1000km - but I can't get in until the end of the month.

Ever since the beginning I've noticed some rattling noises. Some were clearly plastic and I've improved them by doing some cable tidying. However there is one which is really annoying, sounds like a stone might be stuck somewhere although I've not been able to find one. Comes and goes, faint-ish, from front bottom of bike usually left hand side, definitely metallic sounding. More likely if I'm going over bumps or speed is changing. There doesn't seem to be any negative mechanical effect. I can't replicate it by forcing the shocks when stationary.

I took it to the dealer who said there was no problem.

I've noticed there's some play in a lot of components, for example the fog bar has some play but there are dampeners, so do the indicator lights, and the instrument panel. I'm fairly sure the sound isn't coming from these. I actually tightened the fog bar bolts to specification (using a new torque wrench) but one of the bolts snapped (so either I over torqued or the bolt was faulty) - I replaced the bolts but the problem hasn't gone away.

The gear shift assembly and the horn both took a little bit of tightening too but this hasn't made a difference. I've gone over the bike as best I can and can't find a loose component or a stone to explain things. I'm wary of doing too many things.

I will be asking the service guy to have a really good look but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
How about your key Fob? Is there anything connected that can kit the tank? Where is this mystery tinkling noise coming from? Maybe the exhaust heating up or cooling down?
I wouldn't try and tighten too many things especially if you are breaking bolts in the process. Sometimes there has to be some slack and bolts can snap if they are over tightened.

I wouldn't worry about keeping it under 4000 rpm. I couldn't if I tried. You would have to go like a grandma down the highway in a Parallel twin that doesn't even come alive until around 4000 rpm :wink2:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Question: What is a "Full Powered" Australian Model? How does it differ from any other Vulcan S? I don't think they make them any differently in Australia? Or did they put Skippy in the Tank :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for replies.

Not the key/key ring because when it happens I can hold the plastic ring off the tank and the noise continues.

Haven't done any more tightening - still not sure if I overtightened that one bolt, if my torque wrench is out or if the bolt was weak to start off with. Will get torque wrench checked.

Don't think its the exhaust heating up/cooling down as it happens at any time in a ride.

Reason I mentioned "full powered Australian model" is because there are minor regional differences in models (if you look at the manual), and there is a learners only model as well sold in Australia and NZ. I just mentioned it for completion in case the specific model had a known issue.

And regards the 4000rpm limit - just following instructions! I live down some twisties and don't need the motorway for my daily commute so not an issue. I've gone over a small number of times for overtaking etc, but will put it through its paces soon..

I wonder whether this noise will be something I have to get used to but it would be good to have more thoughts..

Cheers

·
Registered
904 Posts
Check for pebbles sitting on top of the lower bend on your header pipes. The front tire had mine filled with little stones until I installed a fender extender. When you hit bumps, the little pebbles rattle around on the pipes. They get captured where the two pipes come together. I had to vacuum them out of there because I couldn’t pick them out with my fingers. Could be one possibility. Another could be your exhaust covers on the right side. Check to see if the screws are tightened enough. Here’s Kawasaki’s revised break in schedule:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have a new Vulcan (2018) and living in New York with the cold weather I only have 150 miles so far. I definitely note some "ticking" and I think it is the exhaust and pipes heating up and cooling down, I expect it will improve as the bike breaks in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Check for pebbles sitting on top of the lower bend on your header pipes. The front tire had mine filled with little stones until I installed a fender extender. When you hit bumps, the little pebbles rattle around on the pipes. They get captured where the two pipes come together. I had to vacuum them out of there because I couldn’t pick them out with my fingers. Could be one possibility. Another could be your exhaust covers on the right side. Check to see if the screws are tightened enough. Here’s Kawasaki’s revised break in schedule:
Okay, I have pretty good 20/20 vision but that Revised Break in Schedule is really hard to read. I think it says 0-250 miles 4000 rpm and 250-400 miles 6000 rpm and 400 - 600 miles ride moderately. After 600 anything goes :devil2:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hi

Thanks for replies.

Not the key/key ring because when it happens I can hold the plastic ring off the tank and the noise continues.

Haven't done any more tightening - still not sure if I overtightened that one bolt, if my torque wrench is out or if the bolt was weak to start off with. Will get torque wrench checked.

Don't think its the exhaust heating up/cooling down as it happens at any time in a ride.

Reason I mentioned "full powered Australian model" is because there are minor regional differences in models (if you look at the manual), and there is a learners only model as well sold in Australia and NZ. I just mentioned it for completion in case the specific model had a known issue.

And regards the 4000rpm limit - just following instructions! I live down some twisties and don't need the motorway for my daily commute so not an issue. I've gone over a small number of times for overtaking etc, but will put it through its paces soon..

I wonder whether this noise will be something I have to get used to but it would be good to have more thoughts..

Cheers
Oh, I forgot that in some countries they do have restrictors on their motorcycle for beginner riders and sometimes even different tags/license plates until they get some experience and then the restrictors can be removed. In the US there are no such restrictions. If you are 16 and have your motorcycle endorsement you can go out and get a 200 HP Motorcycle and wrap it around any tree of your choice :wink2: I don't know what to tell you. I personally haven't noticed any ticking or tingling or any other strange noises with mine. As Vulcanhead has mentioned check the front where the header pipes are attached to the head and see if any debris has been trapped there. Or check the heat shield of the muffler to see if it is perhaps loose. Or better yet take it off to check and see if there are any rocks or debris trapped underneath which could rattle with the vibration of the bike. Good Luck to you because I know that any unusual noises coming from the bike would drive me bonkers until I knew what the heck it was. Lucky Guy, you can at least ride your bike in one of the hottest January's and now February on record in Australia. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Okay, I have pretty good 20/20 vision but that Revised Break in Schedule is really hard to read. I think it says 0-250 miles 4000 rpm and 250-400 miles 6000 rpm and 400 - 600 miles ride moderately. After 600 anything goes :devil2:
Yes, your eyes are correct Indytom. Sorry about the thumbnail pictures. I can’t post full sized pictures here unless I have an online service, which I don’t have. Or I haven’t figured out how to do it yet. That bulletin is dated August 30, 2018. Another member had put this up on the forums.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for suggestions

I went looking for more stones and armed myself with a vacuum cleaner. There are sure a lot of places stones can hide. I found one stuck next to a bolt above the muffler but alas removing it didn't sort the problem. I haven't taken things off yet will wait til service to see if they'll do it for me, otherwise I'll be a bit more aggressive and will at least remove the muffler guard. I'm now pretty convinced it's a rogue stone - if I can confirm this then I'll be happier and will tolerate when it happens again.

Lucky Guy, you can at least ride your bike in one of the hottest January's and now February on record in Australia.
I'm actually in New Zealand but the weather here has been great too.. lots of nice dry twisties to go round :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sometimes E10 fuel can sound like coins rattling in the motor on hot days when it pings.
Give it a shot of premium to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sometimes E10 fuel can sound like coins rattling in the motor on hot days when it pings.
Give it a shot of premium to see if it goes away.
LOL. :grin2: I don't think E10 Fuel has anything to do with it since all fuels have E10 even the Premium stuff. Here in the US E10 is pretty much standard on all but a handful of gas stations across the country. :frown2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just had two stations open up in the last year offering ethenol free in the last year in my town. Oddly enough it's only like five cents more per gallon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
We just had two stations open up in the last year offering ethenol free in the last year in my town. Oddly enough it's only like five cents more per gallon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You are lucky. There is only one station I know off that has Non-Ethanol gas in my area and it is a Country Mark. I guess some of the farmers tractors run better on Gas without ethanol. That said, the only grade that comes without Ethanol is Premium and it is about 25 cents more than already way too high priced Premium (93 Octane Ron/Mon method or 98/99 RON method for our European or Foreign friends where Octane is calculated differently. )

·
Registered
653 Posts
LOL. :grin2: I don't think E10 Fuel has anything to do with it since all fuels have E10 even the Premium stuff. Here in the US E10 is pretty much standard on all but a handful of gas stations across the country. :frown2:
A hand full of stations across the country and the rest of the planet. S_Bodi and myself aren't from USA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure the sound isn't just the chain rattling against the chain guard when revving after a gear shift?

Envoyé de mon SNE-LX1 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't think it's the chain, also seems independent of revs. My first service is about a week away which is the earliest I could get, will see what they say.
Oh and yeah E10 fuel isn't standard here in NZ.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts