Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been a bit vocal about how I find V-twins a bit crude in how they operate such that when you crank the throttle hard the bike has a "buzziness" or "vibe" to it you can feel in the seat. I've gotten used to it and I really only notice it during those times I need lotsa throttle like when merging.

Anyway, so unrelated and in an effort to make the bike a bit louder so traffic in FRONT of me can hear me (no issue behind me) I bought 2 sets of used stock pipes to tinker with. With modding cars in the past I've learned to never take away the option of putting it back the way it was just in case so the stock set that came on the bike I wasn't touching.

After reading and hearing the reviews I figured a full debaffle was what I'd prefer so I did that first.

Well, interesting observation when I took the bike out was how the vibes I felt with the stock pipes on full throttle had all but gone away and the bike just liked the freer flowing exhaust and picked up performance I'm sure as the engine just did not feel as strained ... I liked that but sadly, it was too loud for me so onto the 2nd set I go ...

So the 2nd set I only drilled 2 small holes in each baffle (after removing the rivets and the face plate of course). Well guess what, I've got the vibes again!

I've drilled the holes out larger but have yet to see the change in sound as I haven't ridden it yet. No change from stock sound on the small holes.

So I now wonder if those riders saying the bike has no vibes at all either have a full debaffle or an aftermkt exhaust??

I think that baffle tube that is removed on the full debaffle is too small to fully expel all the exhaust gases in an efficient manner and that resultant back pressure is what's causing the engine to work harder (vibrate more) trying to push those gases out that thin tube!!

Being what I've been through I'd say that there is indeed a benefit to a free flowing exhaust from a vibes & performance standpoint as I noticed it first hand.

Now does anyone know how to quiet a fully debaffled stock exhaust?? I want the benefits but less noise.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Being what I've been through I'd say that there is indeed a benefit to a free flowing exhaust from a vibes & performance standpoint as I noticed it first hand.
Absolutely! If the intake and exhaust are in tune with each other, or jive, your bike (engine) will run smoother. If there's a mismatch, or even if the throttle bodies are out of sync, you'll feel vibrations at certain rpm's. Get it right and she'll run smooothe!

Or maybe not since it was so loud the noise is all I paid attention to. But I don't think so. I believe you're on to something.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested in what you run into with the baffles LBV. I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine. I debaffled mine and found the sound to be a little ragged. I didn't notice much change in the vibrations, but the bike pulls better out on the highway. Thanks for the link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts