Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to here your thoughts about intercom systems. My wife and i would like to be ablet talk with each other and sometimes with other bikers we ride with. We appreciate all the help this forum has given us. Thanks

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I bought a Nady PMC-3X for peanuts on eBay. It was so cheap so I didn't have very high expectations. But I'm very impressed. Audio quality is poor and it picks up a lot of wind noise, yes, but we can have an easy conversation up to 55mph no problem. Above that you kind of have to yell but that's no biggie. On the interstate is where it's limited, but it's still enough that she can yell "Can we stop at the next exit" or something like that.

There is also an upgraded headset for about $30~$50 that I'm going to get eventually to see if that's better on the highway. Of course, it does't use any sort of proprietary connections, so any headset that uses just a regular headphones-style headset jack will work.

It's battery powered. We got it last September. Replaced the batteries last week. Obviously, it's been winter, not a TON of riding, but I'm pleased with the battery performance. If all else fails, they also have a kit to plug it directly into your battery, into a cig lighter adapter, or into a trickle charger connector.

If you get their upgraded headset, it also comes with wires to plug it into two-way radios like a portable CB or FRS radio, and a handlebar mounted PTT switch. The intercom is always on, but when you hit the PTT switch you (or your passenger) will be transmitting over the radio, so it's equipped for bike to bike as well.

It also has an FM radio but that's useless. I can't get it to pick anything up. BUT, there is an aux-in jack that I use with my iPhone to listen to music, or get turn-by-turn from my GPS since I don't have a way to mount my phone so I can see it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IOIA8/ref=asc_df_B0002IOIA81910618?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002IOIA8[/ame]

There it is on Amazon. There is a non-FM version, but it comes with a poorer headset and I believe it doesn't support the upgrade-ability to bike to bike. Just go ahead and get the version with the FM radio.

If you have any questions about it let me know. The box itself is small and light but big enough that my fiancee can control it with gloved hands. She is the 'keeper of the box', I don't mess with it. She keeps it in her jacket pocket, plugs our helmets it, turns it on, can adjust volume, etc., all with her gloves on. Then she just sticks it back in her pocket. It comes with a belt clip but I think it's easier to deal with in a jacket pocket.

-John

Edit: I should also mention that the included headset only works with 3/4 helmets or better. It uses velcro to attach to the shell of the helmet inside the cheek pads. We wear full face, but I don't notice any decreased performance with the visor open and the chin bar vents wide open, i.e., I think it'll work just as well with an open face helmet. (If you wear half helmets you MIGHT be able to get it to work if it's one that has those big straps that cover the ears, probably won't be very comfortable though, it's hard plastic designed to go under the cheek pads)

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I have the Cardo G4 teamset. I use not only for two-up riding, but for bike-to-bike (works pretty well up to 1/4 mile). Much pricier than Mr. Roman5.8. Communications are very good and generally clear when you consider wind noise. Only complaint is that it sporadically disconnects, and have to reconnect. No big deal, overall I'm very pleaseed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Cardo G4 teamset. I use not only for two-up riding, but for bike-to-bike (works pretty well up to 1/4 mile). Much pricier than Mr. Roman5.8. Communications are very good and generally clear when you consider wind noise. Only complaint is that it sporadically disconnects, and have to reconnect. No big deal, overall I'm very pleaseed.
I also picked up the G4 teamset for my wife and I. I was worried I would be disappointed because of the price, but it's awesome. I can't imagine riding without it now. The only thing I don't like about it is I have a scorpion 900 transformer and the mic gets in the way when I am trying to close the front part. Other than that, this thing is perfect.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Before my Voyager with the intercom package built in (after buying the required connectors), I ran a J&M CB2003 DU on my Sabre - This gave me intercom for two up riding, mp3 playthough that muted when intercom (VOX) activated, CB radio to talk with other bikers or just others when out in the boonies and lost, and Weather radio which really helped me thread a needle and avoid 2 tornados and several serious thunderstorms on a ride last year. It is comparable in price to the Scala or Cardo systems, but for bike to bike it offers greater range and unlimited numbers of people to talk to - What I mean there is that the Scala and Cardo have to "team" up with other headsets to communicate - much like a bluetooth device teams up with another - They have a limited number of devices that can be teamed at any one time. The audio quality is great - as J&Ms are great systems.

With a CB - there is no teaming required - just go to the same channel and you can talk to 1 or 100 others on a bike or not. The CB add on was one of the first things I did with my Voyager - The airwaves are pretty clear since everyone is now jabbering on their cell phones - the occaisional truckers on Channel 19 and the organized rides on whatever channel the ride Captain decides on - Plus most Emergency Service Centers still monitor CB Channel 9 - I know that State Police in this area still have CB radios in their cruisers for just this purpose . . . I wouldn't ride long distances without it - It has saved my bacon enough to make it worth the extra $$ - Try getting local info or reaching out for emergency services on a Scala/Cardo communicator . . .

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Before my Voyager with the intercom package built in (after buying the required connectors), I ran a J&M CB2003 DU on my Sabre - This gave me intercom for two up riding, mp3 playthough that muted when intercom (VOX) activated, CB radio to talk with other bikers or just others when out in the boonies and lost, and Weather radio which really helped me thread a needle and avoid 2 tornados and several serious thunderstorms on a ride last year. It is comparable in price to the Scala or Cardo systems, but for bike to bike it offers greater range and unlimited numbers of people to talk to - What I mean there is that the Scala and Cardo have to "team" up with other headsets to communicate - much like a bluetooth device teams up with another - They have a limited number of devices that can be teamed at any one time. The audio quality is great - as J&Ms are great systems.

With a CB - there is no teaming required - just go to the same channel and you can talk to 1 or 100 others on a bike or not. The CB add on was one of the first things I did with my Voyager - The airwaves are pretty clear since everyone is now jabbering on their cell phones - the occaisional truckers on Channel 19 and the organized rides on whatever channel the ride Captain decides on - Plus most Emergency Service Centers still monitor CB Channel 9 - I know that State Police in this area still have CB radios in their cruisers for just this purpose . . . I wouldn't ride long distances without it - It has saved my bacon enough to make it worth the extra $$ - Try getting local info or reaching out for emergency services on a Scala/Cardo communicator . . .

Those were my thoughts as well. With the Nady, when you buy the upgraded headset you get a huge bundle of adapters to hook up portable CB's, FRS radios, whatever. That's why I ended up not going with a Bluetooth version. (plus no disconnects). The scala probably performs better at 70mph than the Nady, but I definitely like the options for bike to bike. Plus with the scala you need to pair to another bt headset. I can hook mine up to CB, FRS, even a cellphone if I really wanted to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a Scala Rider Duo since 2006. Never a problem. Mp3 also works at the same time ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts