Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a intercom/headset system. When I ride with a friend, we would like to be able to communicate without hand signals. When my wife is riding on the back, I guess I might like to listen/talk to her too. j/k

What have you guys found that works well for you. I did a search and see that some are not happy with what Kawasaki offers.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
CB systems are going the way of the dodo bird. They are expensive, bulky, have a short range (there are bluetooth systems out now that will go farther than a typical CB setup), there's no privacy (anyone can jump on your channel) and they are subject to all kinds of interference. BUT, they are infinitely compatible. Any CB will work with any CB period. If it doesn't, it's not a CB! Even though Bluetooth is an industry standard radio frequency, lots of brands out there have proprietary or just uncommon stacks so they don't work with others, or they just don't have the capability of pairing with other brands.

So if you wanna jump in and out of group rides and be able to chat, a CB is a good solution. H-D full dress touring bikes (Ultra's and Road Glides) come from the factory with a CB, so if you ride in a group with a lot of those chances are a CB is a good bet so you can jump on with them.

If you're going to be communicating with the same couple of people all the time, Bluetooth is definitely the way to go. No cables to plug into the bike, no worrying about interference (Bluetooth can get interference but it's not as sensitive as CB), no worrying about someone jumping onto the channel (though with fewer and fewer CB's that's not as much of an issue), and it's cheaper to boot.

That's what my wife and I do. We use a bluetooth intercom system so it doesn't matter if we're two up or on two separate bikes. I actually use a Shark system, which is really cheap. The reality is, a few years ago I bought it because it was uber cheap and just didn't know if I wanted to invest in the higher end ones, and it's worked so well I've never wanted to replace it. I also have a YouTube channel and shark sent me some demo units to review and so I've swapped them around. Build quality isn't great. I have had chargers fail and speakers quit working. Not an issue since I have a drawer full of them. And actually, anytime I've bothered to ask they've replaced items pretty quickly during the warranty. But that's an option if you aren't looking to spend much. Around $120 for a pair; which is less than just ONE of the competitors. Plenty loud, and the battery lasts all day. We charge ours every couple of rides and even on an all day ride, we've never had them die on us.

Scala makes much better ones in terms of build quality. Much more expensive but you get what you pay for. They have a couple new units out. Then there's Sena, the SMH10 and SMH10R (the "R" is just a low profile version) get lots of good reviews. Tons of choices out there and for the most part they are all good. For a name brand system figure on about $200 per unit.

I've literally used every single Shark unit they currently sell (since they sent them all to me). And while other have better features (like FM radio), the "6 rider" is the best. Loudest audio, most reliable, etc. I have had issues with chargers crapping out though; but the units THEMSELVES have never failed and it's the ones we use every day.

http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/shark-shklxmbt688il-motorcycle-snowmobile-bluetooth-multi-interphone-headsets-6-riders-intercom-bluetooth-set-great-for-skiing/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use the Kawi set up and CB - The Kawi intercom works well once both rider and passenger learn how to adjust their volumes independently of one another. I like the peace of mind of the CB - I like that there's not many people using it . . . I like that my riding partners and I can get a couple of miles apart and still communicate . . . I like that I can still reach out and get some local info when I'm in the middle of nowhere . . . I wish there was a blue-tooth option though as the cords can sometimes be a drag . . . Checking with J&M about that option as they make blue tooth dongles for Goldwing and Harley CB set ups . . .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had the Sena SMH10 headset for about a year now. Bought a double pack for like 50% off on one of the bigger online motorcycle gear stores (Revzilla maybe?).

Anyways, I love it. I use it to talk to my girlfriend when she rides on the back of my bike and to listen to my music when I'm going for a ride by myself.

Charge time isn't to terrible and the battery lasts for a pretty long time depending on how much you use it.

Sound quality is good enough for me. 95% of the time at 75+mph we can talk to each other with no issues. I have a windshield and we both use 3/4 helmets with a pull down visor. Music quality is good too, not much bass but I can listen to the songs fine.

I would definitely recommend it, especially if you can find a good deal on them.

-Sportfan34

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Wife & I love the Sena20s, between the intercom, Bluetooth & Radio it's great, but what I really like is the ability to update the software which I've already done twice & have seen an improvement each time.

HalfBreed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another vote for Sena products. I've had the SMH10 for over 2 years with zero problems. As others have said, the sound quality for music is so-so, but the intercom function works great. Being able to chat with other riders, or your passenger, makes the ride so much more enjoyable. The new SMH20 looks incredible, but I'm not willing to pony up the extra $$ just yet. I know Scala and UClear products are also highly rated.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Another vote for Sena products. I've had the SMH10 for over 2 years with zero problems. As others have said, the sound quality for music is so-so, but the intercom function works great. .....
Same results here. No issues, but music is so-so. When riding the Classic or when I want music to pipe to the helmet rather than the speakers, I use an iPhone app called "Equalizer". It allows enough tone adjustments to even make the Sena speakers sound pretty good. The same company has an app called "RadEQ" that plays radio music from around the world thru an equalizer as well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yet another vote for the Sena SMH10 from me... But I'm liking the look of the new 10C model... Bluetooth 4.1 with a range of a mile, built in FM, and a 1080p full HD video camera with a handlebar remote as well? You can even narrate your own video clips while they're recording.

It just gets better & better, from Sena.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on reviews, price and features, I think I'm going to go with the Sena 10. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Here's another vote for Sena. They have a kit that works with two way radios so you can also hook up a CB. I just wish the factory CB wasn't so expensive.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the Sena SMH10 w/universal Mic kit, dual pack this morning. My helmet is a HJC 3/4 IS-33. Anyone here have this helmet or similar with the Sena SMH10? I did google it and it's supposed to work OK with my helmet.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I'm not sure of all of the differences between the CL-33 and the IS-33, but I've been using the Sena on the CL-33 for a couple of years now without any issues.

Actually, if you look at my avatar on my photos page you can see the Sena mounted on the helmet right there :) I've since switched to a half-helmet and my passengers use the HJC, both with Senas attached.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I ordered the Sena SMH10 w/universal Mic kit, dual pack this morning. My helmet is a HJC 3/4 IS-33. Anyone here have this helmet or similar with the Sena SMH10? I did google it and it's supposed to work OK with my helmet.
I have the same set up. SMH10 and IS-33 and use the boom mic. Works great. I haven't had any problems. Sound is good. I sit below the top of the windshield and without the face shield almost all of the time. I only use the face shield if I'm on a trip and there is a chance of rain. If you sit above the windshield you'll get some wind noise whenever you use the mic. Just put the face shield down and it works real good. Paired up with my iPhone 6 Plus so listening to music, making/receiving phone calls is no problem. I also use a Garmin nuvi 2699 GPS paired to the phone, that way I have caller ID. I have the GPS and an XM radio plugged in to the front power outlet, so, I put a double power outlet in the trunk, since the iPhone 6 Plus doesn't fit in the side pocket anyway. That way I keep the phone plugged in and charging. Also, if the battery gets low on the Sena I can use the supplied cable and just plug it in and keep on trucking. Oops, I mean biking. Might as well have all the comforts, that's what I say. Or at least some of them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Here's another vote for Sena. They have a kit that works with two way radios so you can also hook up a CB. I just wish the factory CB wasn't so expensive.
Do you have more info on the kit??

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I bought the Motorola MU350 as it has built in Bluetooth. That allows me to connect to both the cell phone and a two-way using the Sena (without special adapters). NOTE: The Sena SMH10 will only connect with two items.

I haven't used this on a trip, but in tests it worked ok (little slow on the connection, but ok). I also purchased a remote Push To Talk button as well. It's mounted on my mirror extender within reach of my thumb.

Amazon Link (Radio)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the Motorola MU350 as it has built in Bluetooth. That allows me to connect to both the cell phone and a two-way using the Sena (without special adapters). NOTE: The Sena SMH10 will only connect with two items.

I haven't used this on a trip, but in tests it worked ok (little slow on the connection, but ok). I also purchased a remote Push To Talk button as well. It's mounted on my mirror extender within reach of my thumb.

Kap, Let me know how the Motorola gizmo works out. I read in the owners manual that there is a Push to Talk button. Can't recall where it's located. How will the remote Push to Talk button work with the one that's already there?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Kap, Let me know how the Motorola gizmo works out. I read in the owners manual that there is a Push to Talk button. Can't recall where it's located. How will the remote Push to Talk button work with the one that's already there?
The Motorola does not work in any way with the Voyager's OE radio, the speakers, or the buttons. I put a Motorola push to talk button next to my left grip to activate the talk feature on the radio. Listen is automatic. Sound it piped into the helmet via the Sena SMH10 (no connection to the bike at all)...

Hope it helps,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts