Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2008 mean streak 1600 with less than 3700 on it (awesome price in the scratch and dent isle on craigslist). Well I took it out for my first ride and it took off rough. The first stop light i came to it seemed to idle at what seem to be an acceptable beat. When it came time to take off it hesitated and blew the right side intake cover across the street. I saw some marks on it before the ride and didn't think much of it. I pounded the stud back in and re attached the cover.. Then it popped off again. Next I glued the stud back in and it seems to be holding tight. I still here the occasional pop from the throttle body side and I'm wondering if this is a normal occurrence?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm assuming its to rich and its going bang through the intake some how. I'll get a fuel manager and see if that helps. I'll post back with my findings and if anyone has 2 cents feel free to post.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would drain the gas tank, put new gas, clean the Throttle Body, lube the throttle cables, change plugs, and oil and air filter. Start from there, set the idle at 950 +/- and see how it goes. A FI controller will only make it richer. I think you just need maintenance on a bike that has been sitting and not used much. I would also change the battery, brake, clutch, rear final drive fluids, and tires too, but that's just me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here ya go
There is fresh gas in it with some sea foam and gunk injector cleaner, new oil and the air filter is still good. The cables move free so I wouldn't think it's that.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be going through all the other fluids once I get it running properly along with a new set of tires (these are jusssst starting to get cracks).

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Intake backfires are not normal.

List any work you have done so far, no matter how unrelated.

Those plugs look on the lean side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bone stock bike other than the right side cover not being correct until I fixed it. no telling how long that had a crappy seal. I only did a oil change and just filled the tank with fresh fuel with sea foam and jet cleaner.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bone stock bike other than the right side cover not being correct until I fixed it. no telling how long that had a crappy seal. I only did a oil change and just filled the tank with fresh fuel with sea foam and jet cleaner.
I agree with Sfair, plugs look lean. Did you clean the Throttle Body? I think you need to do that plus adjust the throttle cables. When you look into the intake on the throttle body side you will see the two butterfly's clean them and adjust the throttle cables so they are fully closed. I think you are running lean because maybe there is dirt holding the butterfly open or the cable is. These bikes run lean from the factory and a dirty or open butterfly will make it more lean. You may want to also check the exhaust bolts too for leaks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
checked the butterflies and they looked good ans sealed but I cleaned them anyway and the exhaust seems to be tight. I did notice that the stud I epoxied in wasnt flush to the plastic like the air filter side. I ground it down, put the cover back on and took her for a drive. Didn't get out of the drive way and I herd it backfire.... it runs good otherwise.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I think you are going to have to do a compression test to make sure that there is not a leaky intake valve.

I am betting that the previous owner was having trouble with the backfires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, the cover had marks on it and at first I assumed it was from him dropping it. I'm sure I popped off on him. I'll check the compression tomorrow and let you guys know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes I did (without the plug wires on). It is a older just stick in the plug hole tester. I don't really know how accurate it is but one cylinder was definitely lower than the other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I understand why you asked. I just read this.
Remove one spark plug and attach the compression
gauge and adapter firmly into the spark plug hole. Do not
remove the other spark plug, only the plug lead.
• For the other cylinder, remove both spark plugs
I'll give it a go tomorrow. Glad I have the service manual now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts