Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which intake and why?? Please!

I am looking at adding the aftermarket intake in the near future. I do not want anything that sticks out too far. I am looking for the performance increase, and change of looks. I expect to spend between 200 and 300 hundred, looking at the catalogs. I have only de-screened my pipes, nothing further. I would like to add the FI unit sometime later. If I win the lottery, pipes will follow.

I will probably go chrome, the black may be too much black with my pipes.

Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Since you asked for something that does not sticks out too far then you are limited to just a few options.

I personaly like the BAK and own one. Very happy with the results in performance. In my opinion the BAK is one of the few that covers all the ugly spots others don't so it looks very nice and clean without expousing hoses, wires and stuff. The clearance is actually less than your stock airbox so if you like what you have then you'll probably like this better.

By changing the air flow I believe a fuel management is required for best results. It might be a better idea to start with the pipes, then fuel management and then the intake (most people start this way).

Oh and forgot to mention this, with most aftermarket intakes you're engine noise coming from the intake will increase too. Reason I mention this is because some users upgraded and didn't like it and went back to stock.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Clearance

If you want at least as much clearance as the OEM air cleaner, then the Hypercharger, and similar are not an option.

I have the BAK unit and would highly recommend it as to quality, performance and design. The BAK actually protrudes less than the OEM air cleaner so you should have no issue with clearance.

As Classtom said, the do have intake noise unlike the OEM, but I think that will be true of any after market air cleaner.

For what it's worth, I did the air intake and a fuel processor at the same time, with stock exhaust. Probably not the normal sequence, but it has worked out fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dont wanna burst your bubble but ive spent hundreds of dollars and LOTS of hours trying to get more performance from my "9" and found after all that i didnt gain much. in fact the perfomance changes with the weather believe it or not. i sold most of the add ons and went back to stock. the best thing you can do in my opinion is put a fuel processor on and call it good. P.S only speaking from experience here in ny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have to agree with the above. Most of the local dealers I have been to around this area all tell me the same thing. Don't spend the money on intake and fuel management. The performance gains are not worth the money spent. This is coming from dealers who make money on selling me parts...lol. I would get the exhaust first and stop there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If changing the intake and exhaust on the bike really does not add any performance, why then would I just change the pipes and then stop? Would a FI controller not make more sense, leaving exhaust and intake stock?

I have already changed out the stock pipes to a set of Black ones from an SE. I like the black, and did not want to spend the $600+ on a pair of after market. I also modified the stock intake, and noticed a little enhanced performance.

I will probably go with the BAK at this point because of the looks, everything else being the same. I loved the bike stock, but at some point you change things for looks and others for utility.

My dealer looked at my bike for trade in value about six months ago. With a couple thousand in parts for upgrades, he said that the bike was only worth about 4k. He told me that it was too customized, it may not be to any one else's liking. I said Thank You, it is my bike and I did not make any of the changes for anyone else to like.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree
The average amount spent on pipes, intake and fuel management is about $1000 for only 10-15 peak horse power incease. I was able to notice the difference in increased power and torque but I don't think it's worth $1000.

Now most people like me do these upgrades not for the extra little power but for the looks.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I agree
The average amount spent on pipes, intake and fuel management is about $1000 for only 10-15 peak horse power incease. I was able to notice the difference in increased power and torque but I don't think it's worth $1000.

Now most people like me do these upgrades not for the extra little power but for the looks.
I would just settle for a more attractive air cleaner cover, any takers??

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would just settle for a more attractive air cleaner cover, any takers??
You can add one of those harley air box covers and they look very good too. I'm sure if you do a search you can find several members that have use them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Alot of people do these mods for looks or louder exhaust. I have to agree with everyone that the performance gains from intake, FMS and exhaust can be expensive, but I would also say that they don't have to be.
I spent ~$75 for my intake (see my "How To" 900 Intake Modification) modification and ~$75 for a used FI2000R. I didn't get a dyno done but by the seat of the pants dyno I felt a fairly significant increase in low end and roll on torque. Even without the FI2000R I thought that it helped quite a bit.
I think many people are running to high of settings on the FI2000R, I just wanted a little more fuel on the number one setting (off idle), typically this is where the manufacturers run in a lean condition to meet EPA standards.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I moved the location of the air intake to the side of the box. And yes, there is a difference. Freeing up the air flow has to increase performance at some level. Even though I like that very inepensive mod, I also like the look of the BAK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts