Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be able to upgrade my air intake before too long. I will probably stick with debaffled stock pipes for now.

My question is: What air intakes have you used on the 900 and how well did they perform? What fuel processor did you add?

·
Registered
533 Posts
When it comes to air intakes, I doubt that there's a whit's worth of difference between any of them other than price/design. They all use a K&N filter. It used to be that the choices were Thunder, Baron, and lately, the Ness. There is a newer unit on the market from S&S that looks exactly like their intake on the HD's for their S&S carb. Prices will run from a low of $180 to $285. These are retail prices. Hit the online catalogs, pick one that suits your fancy and wallet and enjoy. I really like my Ness unit.

There are a bunch of fuelpaks out there as well. Probably the most basic is the Cobra FI2000 ($199 online). The one that will let your 900 "be all that it can be" would probably be the Power Commander accompanied by a dyno tune. I use the Cobra and am totally satisfied with it. If you like the idea of fine tuning your engine yourself, may I suggest the Bully unit from www.gmanindustries.com .

·
Registered
941 Posts
I was looking at the Bully unit on gmain page, and they talk about the 3 different stages.
What Performance Level Should You Purchase?

• Stage 1 – Stock Pipes, Stock Air Filter, Intake Adapter Removed.
  • Stage 2 – After Market Exhaust, Stock Air Filter, Intake Adapter Removed.
  • Stage 3 - After Market Exhaust, Open Intake/Air Filter Setup. (There is currently no K&N available for the stock air box. There is an after market open intake system using a K&N filter which allowed for our Stage 3 numbers, but this open intake system is not currently available at GMan Industries.)
Proven Increases from Stock:
Stage 1 - Horse Power +6.2% and Torque +3.4%
Stage 2 - Horse Power +31.4% and Torque +12.0%
Stage 3 - Horse Power +39.5% and Torque +18.8%

What do they mean about removing the intake adapter?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I love the % figures they give. Giving % is an easy way to make someone feel good with out having to give actual HP/TQ numbers

·
Registered
441 Posts
Since the 900 is rated at about 48hp, grab a calculator and do the math.
It's interesting that the HP is that low. I wonder if they rate the power differently now than they did before in the 80's and 90's My EN 450 / 454 LTD was 50HP and my VN750 was 60HP. There was a "reduced effect" EN450 that was much lower in power. Both the above mentioned engines had much higher compression too. ~ Interesting ~

·
Registered
117 Posts
The intake adapter is a rubber insert placed at the back of the air box. If you remove the air filter you will see it in the back of the box toward the rear cylinder. Simply pull it out and it will give you a larger inlet. To take it a bit further. You can cut a hole in the front of the box under the idle adjuster and reinstall the adapter for even more air.

HTH
Max

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is someone telling me that I can remove a rubber insert and have a 6.2% hp increase?

·
Registered
941 Posts
6.2% wow thats a 3 whole hp. I might get whiplash from taking off too fast from that much more power.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Since the 900 is rated at about 48hp, grab a calculator and do the math.
Jimbo, with all due respect, we can all do the math. That being said, gaining horsepower by pulling out a rubber insert seems like a bit of a wish....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I could tell a difference with the hole in the front of the box and the rear opened up. I will not tell you it was night and day, but it did make a difference. As for just removing the insert, I can't say, I did both at the same time. I do agree that it can't make that much of a difference by itself.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
how will that afect anything with the pipes debaffled cuase ive heard about messing with the air and mapping just curious before i think about doin it

·
Registered
117 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts