Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wandering around an auto parts store just thinking of how I could hot rod up my VN2000 and saw a 2 into 1 tail pipe. So I figured hey Velocity stacks. So if I pull my tornado air intake off and fabricate a 90 degree elbow to accept the stack Would I still have to put some kind of filter or screen in the pipe? What do you think?
Klink

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Are you asking if it is OK to run without an effective air filter?

Model A Fords were about the last car to do so.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Drag cars do it all the time, but not usually daily drivers.

He could do it...if it is understood that constant oil-changes are required. You usually fit a screen to keep out the bigger stuff (leaves, acorns, squirrels) but the fine dust will collect in the oil quickly hence frequent changes. If you think about attempting this, I would suggest fitting a larger capacity oil filter so it does not clog too quickly and just bypass itself.

Not sure where your 90* would point to, but I would definitely not point it up or forwards. While ram-air sounds nice, the risk of ingesting a rock, large beetle, road debris, etc into your intake is too great. And up is a killer if it ever rains. Down, or backwards is the only viable option. Harley guys do not use an elbow, theirs just feeds straight off the throttle body on ones I have seen.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Unfortunately, that dust is rough on the rings, pistons, and cylinders on its way to the oil in the crankcase.
My dad told of seeing a Model A Ford engine worn out in one day of railing brush on a Cletrac crawler. Carb air intake was right in line with the top of the track.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Unfortunately, that dust is rough on the rings, pistons, and cylinders on its way to the oil in the crankcase.
My dad told of seeing a Model A Ford engine worn out in one day of railing brush on a Cletrac crawler. Carb air intake was right in line with the top of the track.
A Model A did not have an oil filter on it of any kind either and that most likely contributed to the wearing it out so fast. The manufacturers of cars really did not use any oil filters until around 1945 and then they weren't very good filters. I remember a lot of the cars my dad had in the junk yard as a kid and most of those had blown engines early because of no oil filtering in them. Pureolater filters were the very first oil filters put on cars in 1937 but they did not really filter that great yet. The name came from the companies saying Pure Oil later.

Wouldn't run very long without a filter on the bike today. Unless just short drag racing or something maybe. Heck without an oil filter you hit a dusty road then your whole engine is in for trouble in short order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts