Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already decided that I want to upgrade to a bigger bike at some point in the next year or two, but I'm still interested in putting a few more things in my bike for the short term so I can continue fiddling and enjoying the bike.

I've been looking at the Cobra intake and their powerpro fi2000. I've seen some say that the bike runs better and has more power... but how much are we talking about here? Will it feel like a big increase, or would I be chasing a handful of horsepower at the end of the day?

The powerpro and intake will run me up to close to $1k... I have the money in hand for the upgrade if it's worth it - or I could put that towards paying off my bike faster so I can potentially look at upgrading a full 8-10 months sooner (if I end up paying out the full four year term on the loan).

If the tuner and intake will add a significant fun factor to my commute and weekend rides, I'm all down for going for it and enjoying it - but if it's not something that I will notice and enjoy to a fairly big level, I think I'd rather just skip it and work on paying down my loan.

Those of you who have these systems, did you notice more of a grin factor on your bikes? Or was it, as I mentioned before, just chasing the last few horses out of the engine?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
with the big "3", pipes, processor and air kit , you can expect to go from around 43 hp at the rear wheel (stock)to between 56 to 60 hp depending on what set up you use ... these are dyno substantiated results. You would also get a reasonable increase in torque.

Just doing air and a processor, you may get a mild increase in hp ... before I put my pipes on I ran a hypercharger and a cobra auto tune processor, it pulled better than stock and smoothed out the motor some what ( I added the processor cause I just like my stuff running right, it usually is not needed with just a air kit ).... with the big 3, it pulls hard .... RIGHT THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE RPM RANGE.

If you are going to jump up at some point, you will never get your dough back, and have basically just built some one a really nice bike.

Doing just the 2 may not give you the results you are looking for, you might want to either save your dough, or go all out and get pipes as well.

Your cash .... you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
with the big "3", pipes, processor and air kit , you can expect to go from around 43 hp at the rear wheel (stock)to between 56 to 60 hp depending on what set up you use ... these are dyno substantiated results. You would also get a reasonable increase in torque.

Just doing air and a processor, you may get a mild increase in hp ... before I put my pipes on I ran a hypercharger and a cobra auto tune processor, it pulled better than stock and smoothed out the motor some what ( I added the processor cause I just like my stuff running right, it usually is not needed with just a air kit ).... with the big 3, it pulls hard .... RIGHT THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE RPM RANGE.

If you are going to jump up at some point, you will never get your dough back, and have basically just built some one a really nice bike.

Doing just the 2 may not give you the results you are looking for, you might want to either save your dough, or go all out and get pipes as well.

It's all or nothing if you want more hp. If your cash is limited then I would go with pipes so you can enjoy the look and the sound.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a stage 3 debaffle, kn air filter, butterflies removed, and a Powerpro on my 09 vulcan custom SE. There is a noticeable difference after doing it, also I was averaging 50-51 mpg now 47-48, so not a huge loss in mpg's for the extra power. These bikes won't ever be fast, thats my only complaint with my vulcan. Maybe someone will come out with cams for it sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

It's all or nothing if you want more hp. If your cash is limited then I would go with pipes so you can enjoy the look and the sound.
Agreed... All or nothing.... Made a huge difference. Now it feels bigger than it is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest complaints about the bike (and I guess why I'm feeling like I want to step up to a Victory sooner rather than later) is... well, a list:

- ticking on the front cylinder
- whining transmission
- chugging on decel

All of this is normal and apart of the Vulcan engine, I know. Replacing these components won't help those items. Maybe switching out my oil on the next change over will help?

I felt that possibly adding a tuner, air cleaner, and yeah, maybe exhaust might help the bike run a little smoother and leave me happier with it in the mean time. Realistically, I'm looking at 2+ years before I can upgrade, just the way my credit is now - yes I finance. I don't mind paying a little extra in the long run.

I don't know, I'm kind of conflicted. I could put this extra grand in my acccount towards these accessories, or I could put it towards a savings towards my next bike. My wife argues that I should upgrade whatever I want on the bike now so I can enjoy a little more of it while I have it for the next two years or beyond until I'm able to upgrade. But I have a little cricket in my head telling me that I'd be better off just saving it and putting it in a box for that day when ever it comes that I can upgrade.

I supposed... I could get these parts, use them, take care of them, and sell them seperately before trading in to get *some* of the money back on them, but they'll be used, two years old, and probably outdated by then. I don't know how feasible that is really.

This is a lot of hemming and hawing over this, and I apologize and thank you all for your replies so far. Half of this is question and half of it is just me thinking out loud. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
BioHazard, like you said the "Ticking, Whining, Chugging" won't go away with the modifications. Changing the oil will help your engine but not the ticking - just a Vulcan fact of life. IF you do put the mods on and you keep the original parts you can always take them off and put the originals back on before you trade in this bike. Then sell the mod parts here (or EBay) for a small return on your investment. That way you get the fun of the additional performance and can still recover some of the expense. You won't get much in the way of a trade-in if you leave the parts on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
- ticking on the front cylinder
- whining transmission
- chugging on decel
I run a full synthetic oil in both my bikes, it will quieten them down a fair bit. My transmission is more fluid on the shifts and over all engine noise is reduced. The bikes run lean to meet EPA requirements, a fuel processor may help you out with the chugging.

It will still have some ticking and whine, but it may be a little more livable for you.

Remember ... it does not matter which brand ... every bike has its own little idiosyncrasies.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I seem to always flip between upgrading this one or moving to a larger bike also. I keep telling myself this one is paid for. Sometimes, I remember what my monthly payment was and think about things I could spend my money on today instead. Finally I remind myself that this 900, while not perfect, keeps doing everything I ask for. I'm in the process of adding the big three. I think it's going to make it "feel" like a different bike...that's paid for.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I seem to always flip between upgrading this one or moving to a larger bike also. I keep telling myself this one is paid for. Sometimes, I remember what my monthly payment was and think about things I could spend my money on today instead. Finally I remind myself that this 900, while not perfect, keeps doing everything I ask for. I'm in the process of adding the big three. I think it's going to make it "feel" like a different bike...that's paid for.
Ditto.

$1,200 to $1,400 for the "big 3"
-or-
$12,000 to $14,000 for a 1700 Nomad or Voyager. (with trade-in)

·
Registered
847 Posts
900 Upgrades and or a Victory trade

I have been looking at a bigger bike as well. I looked at the Victory and was diss appointed in the fuel tank and cruising range, but they do have some good rebates etc going on now I got a good offer but the fuel range knocked it in the head for me. We do a lot of long rides. From what I gathered the light comes on around 150 miles plus / minus. That's not much range for a cruiser. I can do 200 on my Vulcan, just need a sixth gear to be about perfect. These co's. put big tanks on small bikes and a 4 gal tank on a 1700- 1800 I keep saying, makes no sense. I have ruled out Victory. The triumph Thunderbird SE is great but no dealer here......Service would be non-existent. Another dealer will charge twice their usual rate to work on a brand they don't sell.....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bio's decision

Why don't you let me have your money because I know what I want to do. If you get your mind made up I can make payments back to you.......

·
Registered
847 Posts
Victory

The Victory Vegas Hammer or Eightball are on sale now, very good prices and trade incentives. They don't have floor boards, windshields or bags. If you go Victory it will be a cool $3,000 if you change pipes. JP Cycles has some after markets stuff for the Victory reasonably priced, if there is such a thing as reasonable for Motorcycles and airplanes.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great advice from everyone. Makes me feel better about being conflicted. haha!

I marbled my stock intake today and while I still get a random pop or two while decelerating AND shifting, 90% of it is gone, which I guess makes me feel better psychologically because the engine sounds smoother. I've also started letting the bike warm up a bit before taking it out on the road in the mornings (didn't realize it was getting into the 40s and 50s at night now.

I'll try switching to the synthetic oil on the next due date. I've put about 2.5k on her since my last change (basically when I bought it, they serviced it). She's sitting at 26.5k total mileage, has already had her valves adjusted at 16k from the records.

to those of you with tuners:

Is the "Fi2000 PowerPro" worth the 200% pricetag compared to the regular "Fi2000"? One is in the $200 range, the other in the $500 range. I'm not a stickler for extreme power, I just want a better running bike with a decent power boost. Will the lower priced (preprogrammed settings) Fi2000 do just as good a job as the one that does the 80x a second adjustment?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Will the lower priced (preprogrammed settings) Fi2000 do just as good a job as the one that does the 80x a second adjustment?
The short answer is no. You will still need the bike dyno'd , borrowing others settings is not the best way to go. To dyno a bike with 3 runs is around $200. I have the power pro auto tune ... bolt your goodies on, install the power pro, go out and hammer it thru the gears, its set. It will then self adjust at 80 times a second as needed.

It does work as advertised.

Its no more than a 2hr install, undo the bolt on your tank, slide it back somewhat and use something to keep it elevated. Getting to your injectors is the hard, fiddly, knuckle scraping pain in the butt to do, just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Even a nudnik like me was able to figure it out and I have no problem in admitting my mechanical prowess is dismal.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Even a nudnik like me was able to figure it out and I have no problem in admitting my mechanical prowess is dismal.
Great. Now when I get one and have to ask for help, I'm a nudnik. I don't even know what a nudnik is 'cause I don't speak Australian. It doesn't sound good though.:D

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I just got my FI2000R in today and put it in with the settings from the factory. Only went down the block so I can't comment on freeway speeds yet. I already have aftermarket exhaust pipes installed. Next will be the barons big air kit. I got the FI2000R for $177 shipped from Amazon. My exhaust pipes were $350 shipped from ebay and the prices I'm finding on Barons big air are about $250 shipped.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Great. Now when I get one and have to ask for help, I'm a nudnik. I don't even know what a nudnik is 'cause I don't speak Australian. It doesn't sound good though.:D
Zig ... Aussie nudnik = Texas dummy. LOL if you need help, call kenny.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the powerpro autotuner on my 09 custom SE and definitely think its worth the extra cash. If u buy a plain tuner you still need a tune and dyno run and on the cheap side that an additional $150. And even then you are only tuned perfectly for the exact temperature and conditions in the dyno room. My auto tuner gets dynoed every time i hit the gas, and the bike runs flawless in every condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Biohazard,

About a month ago I was kinda in the same boat. Took a week and change long ride/camping trip with a good buddy and my family. By the time I got home, I almost had myself talked into going to my local dealer and trading my 900 in on a voyager... My wife was on board, but when I posted the question here, I got mixed responses. Some said go with the bigger bike, some said simply do the big three and ride this one till the wheels fall off. Short version, I opted to keep the 900 and add the big three. The deciding factor was the extra cost of insurance (roughly double per month over what I'm paying now).

I ended up debaffling the stock pipes (went all the way in two nights, the holes punched in the baffle plate sounded "wheezy" to my ear), then added Cobra's Powerflo Intake and a Vance and Hines FuelPak.

The intake and fuel processor took around an hour and a half to install. For a map, you simply send the configuration that you're running the V&H and they send you a map back the next day. There's something like 30 settings or some such. The upside is no dyno testing, they've been there. The downside is that any changes you want to make you have to contact the for a new map. Not a big deal to me since I can just send them the map that I have and what I want to add. By the time the accessory shows up, I have the new map, like I said, next business day for the map.

The big three have dropped my fuel economy, but it went from averaging around 45 to aroud 43, no big deal for me. It feels like a totally different bike, pulls much stronger and doesn't seem to chug or struggle. It also really helped with the engine smoothness, especially at freeway speeds. It just feels much less buzzy.

If your heart is set on more displacement, then the big three won't cut it. They won't solve the ticking issues o the whine, but they do make the bike more enjoyable. I still dream of a bigger bike, and that won't stop, but the 9 is much more enjoyable and comfortable with the upgrades. To me, the cash was well worth the investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts