Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, gonna be a long post, but I need some serious guidance here.

2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600. I put Vance and Hines Big Shots on it and after roughly 500 miles I suddenly got an FI code. Ended up being code #15, atmospheric pressure sensor was bad. Now, I found the sensors, I have the maintenance manual luckily, but I asked this question in a group on FB and I'm getting mixed answers.

I was told I did not need a power/fuel commander since I only did an exhaust swap and that I could simply put a bypass on said sensor and be ok. But others said I needed a new sensor and a power commander too. So, what's the truth? Can I simply use a power commander and that will clear the code? Do I need to simply replace the sensor? Do i need a new sensor and a power commamder? I'm not a mechanical novice, but I haven't worked on bikes much so this sort of thing is still very new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And please ask me for any other needed info and I'll try to provide it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Exhaust change will not set error code 15.
4. Adding a PC will not clear the code.
5. Did you check the air sensor electrical connection?
6. Do you have a meter and know how to use it?
7. Disconnecting sensor will set a code 15.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. How many miles on the bike?- 6500 miles currently

2. How long have you owned?- I've owned the bike for 3 years.

3. Exhaust change will not set error code 15.- I didn't think so, but had to ask because some folks were saying it could.

4. Adding a PC will not clear the code.- Good to know

5. Did you check the air sensor electrical connection?- I did, all clean no cracks or breaks in the wiring that I could find.

6. Do you have a meter and know how to use it?- Yep, have the manual that shows how to check it all out just haven't been able to get to it just yet and wanted some other opinions first.

7. Disconnecting sensor will set a code 15.- Ok.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I am going to have to get new leads because mine won't work when trying to get a reading off of the ECU when hooking up like it says too.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I sharpen my meter leads to a needle point so that they will stab any corrosion or other coatings to make a good connection.
Also, do NOT puncture any wires to do the test. Go to the ECU and test at the connector making contact with the connector pin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, sorry it took me a while to get back to you, but as far as I can tell the sensor is working properly. So what would be the next step?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Black meter lead to battery ground.
2. Key on, red meter lead to blue/white, black/yellow and brown/black wires, in turn, at ECU connector.
Take voltage reading for each.

Post back with three readings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And what are these readings for? I've already said that the sensor is working correctly. So what am I taking more readings for?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The readings are fine, the sensor is working. I even put a new one on it and same results. Now, that's not the problem. What is the next step?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Lower Bama Vulcan
Sfair is a VERY knowledgeable person. He is also very methodical. If you want his help please slow down and answer his questions. He needs to know exactly what type of meter you have so he can see a picture of it to know what you are using, He also needs to know exactly what readings your meter is indicating.

After all, he really is trying to help you, but you need to meet him halfway.... Just my $.02.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, 3-4 days turned into much longer than anticipated. However I have some readings now.

Blue/White= 5.0 Volts
Black/Yellow= 0 Volts (This is on all 4 black and yellow wires)
Brown/Black= 0.1 Volts (Continually bounced between 0.0 and 0.1 so went with at least .1 Volt)

So, whats next?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Sorry, I made a mistake in wire color call-out that I spotted when examining your results.
The wires should have been blue/white, brown/black and blue/yellow.
Could you repeat the test using the corrected colors.

Again, sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts