Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few of you may remember my last post about being side swiped by a minivan a few weeks back. Well long story short the other driver's insurance company has agreed to write me a check for the resulting damages without declaring the bike a total loss but oddly enough they have requested that I give them my saddlebags and front fender since the damage is light and they believe they can salvage them. I've never heard of an insurance company salvaging only certain parts a bike before and quite frankly I would rather keep them if possible. Has any body ever encountered this scenario before or know if they have the legal right to claim them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
They are paying for the replacement parts so they have a right to demand the replaced parts. First I've heard of an insurance company trying to salvage a few motorcycle parts.

Are they compensating you for diminished value ? You could use that as leverage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They are paying for the replacement parts so they have a right to demand the replaced parts. First I've heard of an insurance company trying to salvage a few motorcycle parts.

Are they compensating you for diminished value ? You could use that as leverage.
You are right, insurance companies can ask for any or all of the replaced parts. I asked my friend (insurance underwriter) about this, he said that a lot of the companies he deals with do this.

Reason? They have figured that too many put in a claim for high dollar items like hard bags, get the check and either 1. Don't replace them 2. Fix them up either way they pocket all or part of the pay out. This way you either get new bags etc or ride without, they want to know the money has been spent for what it was destined for. Also not replacing items and keeping money is insurance fraud.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I talked to a friend who used to work in the insurance biz and she confirmed that it's rare they salvage only parts but not unheard of. This is my first vehicle insurance claim so I am learning a lot through the whole process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same thing if your bike is stolen and the insurance pays it off and 6 months later the bike is recovered it is not your bike any more. It belongs to the insurance company.

·
Registered
643 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts