Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not ride with out it and will not ride in a group if any of them do not have insurance.That being said. If any (and most of are) ex service you should check out USAA web site. I got better insurance at 1/2 the price I was paying and better coverage for my 2008 vn 900 lt..Also got a good deal on both my trucks.I live in tampa and insurance is high here.Just put this out for you all to look in if you need insurance. Have a great ride. Davego2 tampa fl.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Can't beat USAA!

I've got progressive and don't do too bad (especially for my age). A pay about $40 a month for full coverage with total loss, $500 deductible, additional medical coverage, $3,000 of accessory coverage, and I've upped the levels of liability from the 'state minimum' they usually give you (which isn't nearly adequate if you're ever sued. You can always be sued, even if you're right, and you win, you were still sued, and you're still out a LOT of money if you don't have adequate liability coverage.)

Wifes bike is a little more, closer to $50, for basically the same coverage. But hers is a 2011 and is worth more book-value than mine so I'm sure that's why. Overall I'm pretty happy! Especially since I just have liability (though, again, well above minimum) on my Saturn. Car's book value is something like $1,500, or in other words I'll get a grand after the deductible... doesn't pay to have full coverage on a car like that. Anyway, I pay about the same for liability on that as I do for full coverage on my bike...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I pay a little shy of $200 a year with Nationwide. I have 100k/300K/100K, $500 deductible, total loss coverage, no addition medical. That is only me on my 08 V2K. I was amazed how much cheaper it was than Progressive. Progressive gave me the best rate when I first got a motorcycle but after than other companies got more competitive after you have had continued coverage for a year or 6 months. Auto Insurance is the same way.

oh yeah and the accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I pay a little shy of $200 a year with Nationwide. I have 100k/300K/100K, $500 deductible, total loss coverage, no addition medical. That is only me on my 08 V2K. I was amazed how much cheaper it was than Progressive. Progressive gave me the best rate when I first got a motorcycle but after than other companies got more competitive after you have had continued coverage for a year or 6 months. Auto Insurance is the same way.

oh yeah and the accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness.
I quoted nationwide a while back and they were about 150% more than progressive. American family looked at what I wanted and what I was paying and just said "HOW?". I suspect my age is the issue here (I'm 22). I have a flawless driving record and do my best to ride/drive safely and conservatively but.. you know... that's not what the statistics say so I get nailed with it :p.

Man $200/year would be nice. I could buy lots of chrome with all that extra cash! hehe.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I quoted nationwide a while back and they were about 150% more than progressive. American family looked at what I wanted and what I was paying and just said "HOW?". I suspect my age is the issue here (I'm 22). I have a flawless driving record and do my best to ride/drive safely and conservatively but.. you know... that's not what the statistics say so I get nailed with it :p.

Man $200/year would be nice. I could buy lots of chrome with all that extra cash! hehe.
Age has a lot to do with it (I am 27). But Insurances are governed by the state. They decide a lot about the rates you get. Its just a big money racket between the insurance companies and each State and we are the ones that have to $pay$ for it.

When I was 22 I was paying almost 800 a year on a new Mean Streak with state minimum insurance with progressive.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
i'm 27 and pay 152 a year with progressive for full coverage

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got mine through an independent agent who beat Geico and Progressive. Full coverage, medical, assesories, uninsured, under insured, etc with only $250 deductible. About $350 a year for a 2012 Vulcan SE.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wow, I am not going to bitch about my Geico 107.00 bucks for a year policy. 100-300-100 unisured... the whole enchilada. 2006 classic Florida policy

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I went through USAA but it redirected me to Progressive for the motorcycle insurance. My house and vehicles are on USAA insurance though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sand_Man1 is right. USAA contracts with Progressive. Progressive through USAA was pretty competitive but Dairyland still beat them by like $40. I have used Dairyland for a very long time and they have always given me the best deal. I still use USAA for my home and vehicles. I can't speak as to how Dairyland is if you need them since I have never had to make a claim. They are backed by Sentry Insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have progressive as well, $350/year full coverage (250/500/100) plus all the extras ($500 deductible). With 40 years riding experience progressive was the lowest in California. Would love to see it under $200. Though it will be close if I lowered the coverage, but I am paranoid.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm in manhattan with full coverage an 500 deductible and i pay $400 per year which i thought was cheap until i see what the rest of you are paying.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2013
348 Posts
I got full coverage with road assistance for $204 per year. I am 29 and NationWide was giving me 400 for the cheapest option. I have cars and house insurance with them with good deals. But I had to say good bye to them and go with Foremost Insurance company for the bike.
P.S.
I have MSF discount since I took the class this spring.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wow! You guys down in the US have it good, it sounds like. I pay $900 a year (roughly) and that is down from $1300 a year ago. And I only get to ride 6 or 7 months a year. I am 34 and have been riding for 15 years, but our laws here are ridiculous. I sold my old bike a few years back, and cancelled my insurance (at the advice of the broker) until I got my current bike. When they re-quoted, it showed as a lapse in insurance and my rates skyrocketed. I suspect that it is because I live close to Toronto and all insurance rates are high there.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wow! You guys down in the US have it good, it sounds like. I pay $900 a year (roughly) and that is down from $1300 a year ago. And I only get to ride 6 or 7 months a year. I am 34 and have been riding for 15 years, but our laws here are ridiculous. I sold my old bike a few years back, and cancelled my insurance (at the advice of the broker) until I got my current bike. When they re-quoted, it showed as a lapse in insurance and my rates skyrocketed. I suspect that it is because I live close to Toronto and all insurance rates are high there.
Ouch... I won't be complaining any longer. :eek:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Some friends of mine with more experience pay even more than I do, because they are so close to Toronto. I am an hour outside of Toronto, and enjoy a bit of a "break" in rates.

·
Registered
399 Posts
USAA really is the best. Quick story...

Back about 16 years ago, I got into a car accident where the other driver, coming from the other direction, turned in front of me leaving me nothing to do but smash into him. Impact was at about 35-40 MPH, so both cars were totalled. They deemed the accident 100% his fault (ya think?), so I stood to get even my deducible back ($500) once the case was cleared. It turned out that the other driver was an Army recruiter driving a government owned vehicle, sooo.... USAA warned me that the case would take a long time to close, meaning I'd be waiting a long time for my $500 back. I checked back in with them every 6 months or so to see when I could expect the deductible returned, and each time they indicated that the case was still open because the government was dragging it's feet. About 2 years after the accident, I checked in with USAA, and the government still hadn't paid them. I mentioned that I was getting married very shortly and was really scrimping and saving every dime to afford the wedding, honeymoon, etc...

Here's the last part of that conversation-

Me: "Bummer, I was hoping to get that back before the wedding...finances are really tight since we're paying for the wedding ourselves"

USAA's response: "Sir, you'll have a check for the full amount tomorrow morning."

Me: "Uhhh...but the government still hasn't paid you..."

USAA: "Sir, the government will eventually pay us, but you'll have a check tomorrow morning."

And the check for $500 was delivered the next morning. That's customer service. I'll never switch from USAA.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As a follow up, I got a note about a year later telling me that the case was closed and the government had finally paid.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
$257/year with $500 comprehensive and $1000 collision and roadside assistance for both bikes and both my wife and I on the policy. We're through Geico. However, I do only run state minimums for coverage (which I can't remember), and we have the policy bundled with our car and homeowners insurance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
$130 a year $500/$1000 and I've already totaled one bike. I'm with all state an have my cars through them too. Allstate has a huge campaign about keeping MC riders safe which I admire and support. Also when I totaled my other bike they paid for all accessories, new tires, etc. I made out good.

That's AllStates stand! Lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts