Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know some good insurance companies because rates seem to vary so much for motorcycles. I'm with geico now and I believe they want $60 a month. My friend only pays a little over $20. Although my bike is newer by 1 year and worth more I dont see why the big difference especially since im taking courses and he didnt.....help plz.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
I go through Progressive. I pay $34.75/month combined for two motorcycles...a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE and a 2007 Vulcan 500 LTD. Full Coverage, $3000 Access. Coverage, $1000 Deductible Comp/Coll., $25k/$50k Uninsured/Underinsured/Bodily/Prop. Location and your age is going to have a huge impact on how much you pay...I am 32 and live in South Dakota.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm with Progressive too, and i think we're paying around $30/mo for two bikes; my wife's '06 750 Spirit and my '09 900 Vulcan. We also have all of our cages through Progressive.

Keep in mind, there are a whole slew of variables to take into account when dealing with the insurance companies like angliam says. You just have to shop around on your own and figure out what you're looking for. Just the deductable will change the annual cost by a fair amount.

·
Registered
240 Posts
look up kruegers insurance in newton, ks and talk to jon vetter. they have gotten me the best rates BY FAR over anyone else. ive taken numerous people up there and everytime he seems to be able to save them at least 100-200 every six months.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have progressive. I went with them since of the companies I checked out they offered the highest coverage for personal injury protection. That is about the only thing I care about. They do up to $25,000. And since I have a wife to worry about and most crashes would are gonna do alot of damage to me. The bike will be covered by the most basic plans. And they also cover up to $3000 in accesories. I think I pay during the summer about $55. But I am 30 and have a clean record.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had Progressive and they wqnted a spit load of cash. I switched to Foremost through AARP, so if you're over 50, thatt's a good place to go. I pay about $340/year for full coverage, including road service.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm paying 200/yr with Progressive. I'm looking for new ins for everything and Geico came in at 180/yr (with nothing else on the policy). Geico only covers $2k of extra's but Progressive covers $3k and I've got just $3k worth of add-ons on my bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well, i guess i lied. I'm with Progressive, but the price we're paying is only for 6 mo., so the cost of my insurance is twice what i told you. DOH! Since the bikes are stored for the winter, we don't have them insured then. Sorry.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Progresso. I pay $96 per yr but not full cover. I don't buy full cover unless my item is worth 5k+ otherwise in my mind is not worth it. Last year it was $76 but it incleased 20 for this yr.

I know that if you'r credit score is low that could be the reason for high prices.

·
Registered
600 Posts
07 VulcanClassic-06 Yamaha Majesty, New York State, 61 yo, Progressive full coverage w/ towing. 12 mo. $179 for both

·
Registered
172 Posts
I pay Progressive $124.00 for 12 months. That girl Flo is great!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think on my 06 Nomad I am paying around 650.00........700.00........We always get such good deals here in Canada......Best rate........I think i may have 2 shop around again this year....:)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My wife and I had Progressive on our bikes, and not only were they cheaper than anyone else I had quote prices, but the coverages were better for the price we paid (prices are too varible to compare from state to state, rider to rider, age, amount of coverage, and location). My wife and I were hit head on by a 21 year old guy in a Ford Ranger back in Sept 09... he has State farm auto insurance... our Progressive had an agent come to our house after I got out of the hospital who helped with getting the bikes towed to their lot, helped with get the amount totals on accesories, offered to pay us for the bikes if we wanted them to without any worry of them jacking up our rates, and they acted as a go between middle man in dealing with State Farm who never even so much as sent an agent out to our home and tried to get away without paying for the accessories.... in the end State Farm paid out well for the bikes, but would have been a much tougher deal without the Progressive folks and their gracious assistance.

There is much more to good insurance than what the price is in my opinion... and in our case Progressive went above and beyond.!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Progressive Coverages - Limits of Liability 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
Bi $100,000 Each Person - $300,000 Each Accident
Property Damage Liability - $50,000 Each Accident $35.00
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
$100,000 Each Person - $300,000 Each Accident $157.00
Medical Payments
$25,000 Each Person $241.00
Comprehensive
$100 Deductible $15.00 Includes Disappearing Deductible
Collision
$100 Deductible $163.00 Includes Disappearing Deductible
Accessory Coverage $3,000 INCL
Roadside Assistance $10.00

Theft Prevention Board Assessment $1.00

Total Policy Premium After the Change: $622.00

This is what I carry during the riding season. Which is far more then I need right now considering I am only storing the bike. Once I dropped things down it to this.

Progressive Coverages - Limits of Liability 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
Bi $30,000 Each Person - $60,000 Each Accident
Property Damage Liability - $10,000 Each Accident $80.00
Comprehensive
$250 Deductible $15.00 Includes Disappearing Deductible
Accessory Coverage $3,000 INCL
Theft Prevention Board Assessment $1.00
Total Policy Premium: $96.00

Now I did a quote with Geico for 12 months full coverage. Yeah it is less overall. But look at the Medical Payments line I highlighted in red. They are only giving $2,000 that is their max, while Progressive does $25,000 max. That means if you tipped your bike over turning around in a parking lot and broke your leg. They would only cover $2,000 in medical bills. Now think about if you had a bad accident. Now I live in Minnesota which is a No-fault medical state. That means no matter who is at fault for the accident your own Vehicle Insurance pays your medical bills. I bet if you ask Musicman about his accident there, I bet he had a lot more then $2,000 in Medical bills. I don't know what his states rules are as far as Fault coverages. And hopefully he is suing the shit outta that kid who hit him.
Coverage Details

Geico
Coverages Limits 2007 KAWASAKI VN900B Vulcan 900

Bodily Injury Liability/Property Damage Liability(PD)
(BI)$100,000 / $300,000 / $50,000 $19.00
Underinsured Motorist(UM)/Uninsured Motorist(UM)
$100,000 each person / $300,000 each accident $96.00
Medical Payments(MED)
$2,000 Each Person $14.00
Comprehensive
$100 deductible $12.00
Collision
$100 deductible $65.00
Towing
$50 limit per incident $7.00
Total Policy Premium: $214.00

Here is Geico for my winter storage coverages.

Coverages Limits 2007 KAWASAKI VN900B Vulcan 900

Bodily Injury Liability/Property Damage Liability(PD)
(BI)$30,000 / $60,000 / $10,000 $87
Comprehensive
$100 deductible $12.00
Total Policy Premium: $100.00

So with me dropping coverages for about half the year I end up paying about $359 with Progressive, and about $157 with Geico. So about 200 bucks more, for more. I mean I get the same coverage for basic stuff, but to me and my wife having the medical coverage there is pretty important. Even if you live in a Fault state like California. Cuz if you drive off the road or hit a deer your own insurance is going to cover you. And most reports say the majority of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle.

Now mind you these rates are for a 30 yr old male, with a clean record and living in Minnesota, in the suburbs, and garaging my bike inside. I would like to know how guys like Roy and Vivadude are paying so much less. But I know rates change with age, location, driving record and what coverages they have.

What I like about Progressive also is that I can change my policy whenever I feel like it and they won't charge me processing fees.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Anyone think $100,00 is way to much to carry... wel let me tell you that my left crushed up leg is up to $140,000 already, and I'm just starting to walk somewhat with a walker... it doesn't take much of an injury to get the medical side up there quick. Heck my wife was treated & released for cuts, scraps, and road rash at the ER and that alone was over $10k+ including the diagnostics. Thank God we have decent health insurance, cause the at falut driver had $50k on his auto insurance and Tennessee is not a no fault insurance state.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Jace, When I shopped for insurance the first thing I did was call the agent that handles my other policy's. Iv'e got my auto, homeowners,Atv & Camper insurance all under the same roof because I get a multi policy discount. My agent deals with many different insurance companies and they did their research and told me that they could get me a good policy through Progressive for $124.00 a year. The next thing I did was visit a local Progressive insurance dealer and I asked them for a quote and they came in at $360.00 a year for the same policy. I now learned how insurance agents make their money. Needless to say I called my agent back and asked her to prepare the paper work and I would be in to see her the next day. I am 54 years old with a pretty good driving record and not a bad credit rating and a stable employment history. Also when we relocated our residence we had our previous agent transfer all of our "stuff" to the new guy that was local. I prefer to have an agent with an office I can visit close to home instead of by mail. Being with the same company for many years also helps with the rates. New York I think is a state with higher than average insurance costs but in my case I think my agent has worked to my benefit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bike insurance

I've had insurance with most of the insurers listed in this thread, I have found that Markel American Insurance co. is a lot less than all those listed. WWW.bike-line.com for fast free quotes or call 1-800-236-2453 all it takes is a few minutes an you will know.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah I did a quote just now with Markel. With full coverage and $500 deduct and doing replacement cost for physical damage it came to $391 a yr. But they only go to $5000 in personal Medical. Once again Progressive goes to $25,000

1 - 20 of 31 Posts