Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I posted before in the general Vulcan forum about deciding between a used vn800 and vn900. Decided to go with the 900. So I am a new owner.

My question is about installing aftermarket bars and grips. Obviously the vast majority of aftermarket stuff is listed as being for Harleys.

I ordered 10"inch mini apes off of ebay and am wondering about fitment. I am sure any 1" bar can be made to fit but I am under the assumption that lots of metric bikes have tabs on the hand controls that slot into holes in the handlebars. Does the Vulcan have these?

If it does, what is the best way to get these handlebars to fit? Drill a hole in the bars? Break off the tabs?

I have heard that if you break off the tabs the controls do not move (in essence the are unnecessary). Is this true?

Also, will any 1" grip fit the vn900 throttle tube? Is there any reason 1" grips designed for Harleys won't fit my new handlebar setup?

Thanks, oh and my bike is currently stripped of all tins as I paint her to look meaner than she is. She came to me used in Candy Caribbean Blue and I was not a fan (sorry for anyone who loves the color, just not for me). I am doing a pretty experimental paint job (not my first bike painted) and plan on showing pics of the process and result when I am done. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone installed aftermarket handlebars and grips and has any of these answers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have some after market bars that came with my bike .They are T-bars & I think they are for a Harley not sure but the guy cobbled up some bolts that where 1/2 inch on one side & 12mm on the other.I didn't like them bolts so I drilled out triple tree cover so it would take 1/2 inch & put the socket risers on.
I have put on Kuryakyn grips ,the left side had grip with out bar under it because the bars are stepped so the only thing that matters I guess if you get some that are to short for the throttle tube,which is probably on likely.

Don't think theres any tabs

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, not an expert but had my throttle side opened today. The 1" grips will slide on the bars. I do not think there are any pins that the controls fall into, but if so, yes you can drill, or grind off pins. The only issue I had today with taking HD grips and trying to install was with the throttle sleeve. It slid on the bars easy, but it is made to go up under the throttle housing for the cables and was a bigger diameter than the housing would fit around correctly. Only slightly, and I thought about milling it down, but didn't think there was enough plastic to hold it together. Thats my 2 cents, if you keep the OEM throttle sleeve, you may be OK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Good to know the handlebar installation will be easy. All the grips I want (Avon old school style) look like they have the Harley throttle tube attached so I just ordered a used set of stock grips off ebay (assuming I will have to cut mine off to remove the controls).

I have been totally preoccupied with painting the tins. And unfortunately I blew it and have to start over.

Tip of the day: Don't paint with limited light and unlimited beer outside at night... ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
You shouldn't have to do any cuttimg ,the stock grips can be rolled off the tube's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts