Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I very recently upgraded from a 2003 Kawasaki 1600 cc to a 2006 Kawasaki 2000 LT. I would like to install a tachometer on it. Has anyone installed a tach on the 2000 LT? I am getting different information about where the two coils are. Do I really have to take the tank off to get at the rear coil? Apparently both coils need to be attached in order to get the correct reading since the 2000 is a single fire ignition. Exactly where is the rear coil located? Thank you in advance.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
load and reload... then coil and recoil

I am getting different information about where the two coils are. Do I really have to take the tank off to get at the rear coil? Apparently both coils need to be attached in order to get the correct reading since the 2000 is a single fire ignition. Exactly where is the rear coil located? Thank you in advance.
Silver(old)Fox'r, I take it you haven't had this skoot very long? The coils are located and easily accessible under the left side chrome cover. piece of cake to get at and work with. no need to remove the tank. Im not too sure about that single fire ignition thing tho. Each coil is fed a seperate signal from the ECU. Single fire method is old harley stuff from pre electronic ignition days afar. I wouldn't think kaw would stoop to such caveman methodology with all the tech they put in these things. Let us know how it goes. out, ponch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, thank you, I understood that to be the case, and I have since verified it by attaching my old tachometer from my 1600 and sure enough it is indicating half revs. I will have to make up the adapter that will take the spark from both coils. Anyway, so far so good. And thanks to Poncho Villa for his response.
don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tach

I have the Baron's tach on mine, works great, and love it. It's not an LT, though-- there's no really good place on the bars to mount it because the nacelle gets in the way.
One reason I bought the Lt model was its more classic look, I just couldn't get my head around the spidery looking headlight. I also like the windscreen and bags.
By the way, for anyone who is interested, I did finally manage to get my tach working. The biggest problem was the direction of the rectifiers is opposite to what I found on Gadget's web page, the arrows must point to the coils not the tach. Go figure. Anyway, no damage done just a bit of cursing and swearing. Also of note, perhaps, is that I didn't use the IN 4007 diode since they weren't available, I think I used heavier duty ones as they are rated at 3amps.
silver fox

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
It is the "peak inverse voltage" rating that would be more important in this application. I would say that anything with a PIV of about 500 volts or more should be OK.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Silver(old)Fox'r, I take it you haven't had this skoot very long? The coils are located and easily accessible under the left side chrome cover. piece of cake to get at and work with. no need to remove the tank. Im not too sure about that single fire ignition thing tho. Each coil is fed a seperate signal from the ECU. Single fire method is old harley stuff from pre electronic ignition days afar. I wouldn't think kaw would stoop to such caveman methodology with all the tech they put in these things. Let us know how it goes. out, ponch

Harleys come with dual fire ignition. Single fire is one plug at a time firing on compression stroke. The VN2000 is single fire.

Dual fire fires both plugs at once, even when one piston is not in a compression stroke

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive just put a koso digital tach on my 03 1600 classic all ive done is wrap the sensor wire around the spark plug lead,will that work correctly?does it matter which lead i wrap it around?what revs would i be doing at 60mh(100kph)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ive just put a koso digital tach on my 03 1600 classic all ive done is wrap the sensor wire around the spark plug lead,will that work correctly?does it matter which lead i wrap it around?what revs would i be doing at 60mh(100kph)
Which model ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
kawasaki vulcan 1600a1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doh! thought it was a strange question, the model is koso digital lcd meter 360-256,with rpm ,time,temp(x2) ive worked out that at 100kph =2542 just got to wait for this bl£"$y summer rain to stop,have had 2 weeks holiday and its rained for 10 of the 14 days :-(>

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tried wiring it up like it says on the gadgits fixit page but had no luck couldnt get a reading at all so ive gone back to wrapping it around the sparkplug wire which works but it can bounce around a bit like when cruising a100kph it will read 2300 then go to 2600 then 2300 ya get the idea it dosent just stay at one reading,Is this normal?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tried wiring it up like it says on the gadgits fixit page but had no luck couldnt get a reading at all so ive gone back to wrapping it around the sparkplug wire which works but it can bounce around a bit like when cruising a100kph it will read 2300 then go to 2600 then 2300 ya get the idea it dosent just stay at one reading,Is this normal?
Reverse the Diode in Gadgets diagram then it will work..
Bare

·
Registered
46 Posts
do ya need to do the diode thing for the 2003 1600 classic?i thought that was only for the 900or 2000,i assumed that me bike was a dual fire ignition,am i wrong?

·
Registered
148 Posts
do ya need to do the diode thing for the 2003 1600 classic?i thought that was only for the 900or 2000,i assumed that me bike was a dual fire ignition,am i wrong?
Your bike is dual fire ignition no adapter needed if you are installing a dual fire tach.
Bare

·
Registered
46 Posts
heres one to wonder my koso digital tach which i have the sensor wire wrapped around the ht lead reads different in the morning ride to work than the ride home eg 100kph reading 18-2000 rpm then comming home its reading 1000-1100 rpm ,ive got it connected straight to the battery could it be changing with the charging of the battery?got me stumped(wouldnt recommend one of these tachos)

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
i ,ive got it connected straight to the battery
Not recommended. It should be wired to a switched power source.
Make sure that inductive spark plug wire pick-up is as close the the spark plug as possible with the extra wire as far away from other spark plug leads as possible.
In the options, set 1 cylinder, "2 stroke" for correct reading.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts