Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im soo dang frustrated.

I installed the freedom performance sharp curve on my vn900.

started it up and it was perfect.

added the fuel controller Fi2000 PowrPro Black
as well the PowrFlo Air Intake System

now the bike doesnt seem to start up smooth. The idle is very low and if i try to give it some gas it will die.
unless i barely accelerate it will them work.

Any ideas what is going on ?
personally im thinking its the fuel controller but im just pissed after doing this install slow so i dont jack it up ..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
im soo dang frustrated.

now the bike doesnt seem to start up smooth. The idle is very low and if i try to give it some gas it will die.

personally im thinking its the fuel controller but im just pissed after doing this install slow so i dont jack it up ..

Thanks
Tis why I leave my toys stock,:devil2::devil2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
im soo dang frustrated.

Thanks
Probably not the power curve or the air intake system. Take off the fuel controller and see where your at.
Or the power curve and fuel controller are not playing nice with each other. If it runs good with just the curve and air intake, then try it with the fuel controller and no power curve, if it runs good then you have a conflict. (If you can do all those things, I don't know.) These are just total guesses though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably not the power curve or the air intake system. Take off the fuel controller and see where your at.
Or the power curve and fuel controller are not playing nice with each other. If it runs good with just the curve and air intake, then try it with the fuel controller and no power curve, if it runs good then you have a conflict. (If you can do all those things, I don't know.) These are just total guesses though.
Thanks, going to remove the fuel controller tomorrow. Don't I need one? If it isn't playing nice should I have it exchanged?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks, going to remove the fuel controller tomorrow. Don't I need one? If it isn't playing nice should I have it exchanged?

Yeah, you will want that FC on there. Bike will run too lean otherwise. If the bike is idling too low, try turning up the idle speed. The adjustment is around the air box area.

·
Registered
918 Posts
im soo dang frustrated.

Thanks
OP has has the big 3 installed. Not sure where you got the got the idea they have more than one FC onboard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So while sleeping I just remembered something. When looking at the inside box there is this piece or the right side.

Is that like an idle adjustment? Also I don't think I put it back in its bracket so it's just hanging.

·
Registered
761 Posts
So while sleeping I just remembered something. When looking at the inside box there is this piece or the right side.

Is that like an idle adjustment? Also I don't think I put it back in its bracket so it's just hanging.

Yes,that is the idle speed adjustment knob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked and what's nice is the fuel manager is Bluetooth. I was running about 650ish on idle LOL no wonder it was dying.. Set it to about 1k and when this effing weather is nice I can test it.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Don't need fuel controller for new pipes,disconnect it,if runs good fine but if you really want controller call service # for controller,might have a defective one..it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts

Don't need fuel controller for new pipes,disconnect it,if runs good fine but if you really want controller call service # for controller,might have a defective one..it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah, he does. If you change the air intake and exhaust, it is highly recommended to add the FC to prevent the motor from running too lean.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to call cobra tomorrow. I feel like it has less acceleration compared to stock. Seems to put. put. put. when I accelerate from a stop unless I full throttle. I was rather disappointed with the first ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i called tech support and they stated that they never have issues with these as everyone raves about them.. cool cool cool...

They stated that i should play with the adjustment settings to see if it helps otherwise they recommend keeping it stock via the bluetooth app.
So i pretty much received no support lol.

The issues I'm experiencing:
1) when I get in the friction zone i have to add almost 50% throttle for it to no die from stop.
2) even when applying throttle i feel like i have to go 100% for the bike to go
a. i can totally feel the bike go from sluggish to full power if i do that but starting off is really sluggish

Compared to stock; i feel like from a complete stop its sluggish until i really open it up and then its pretty sweet.
also i was able to get into 3rd gear at around 30mph and it was smooth.
After the upgrade i almost have to stay in 2nd gear until after 40mph otherwise the bike seems to put put put as if i shifted too quick.

This may turn into going to a shop but id rather ask here for any advice.

My next option will be to disconnect the cobra fi2000 powrpro black and see how it functions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wonder if cobra will warranty this. I was super careful installing this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's covered. The wire shouldn't have popped out that easy..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Soo it's going to be nice tomorrow and I'm sure the fuel controller will take some time to get repaired . With the intake and exhaust minus the fuel manager, will I damage anything if I go for a ride?
Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are not likely to find anyone who will say, "Aaah, go ahead and ride it with no fuel management, despite the fact that it WILL run lean." Those folks won't be rebuilding your motor if you are an idiot.

Do what you like...but be aware the you are running lean...how lean? Depends on how much load you put on the motor...lean runs hot - hot burns valves and pistons.

You might be safe to just putz around the neighbourhood for the pure joy of it...your call...

Can you make a temporary fix on that Cobra cable? That's what I'd try and do if it were me - and my riding jacket was loudly beaconing me to get outside.

E&OE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are not likely to find anyone who will say, "Aaah, go ahead and ride it with no fuel management, despite the fact that it WILL run lean." Those folks won't be rebuilding your motor if you are an idiot.

Do what you like...but be aware the you are running lean...how lean? Depends on how much load you put on the motor...lean runs hot - hot burns valves and pistons.

You might be safe to just putz around the neighbourhood for the pure joy of it...your call...

Can you make a temporary fix on that Cobra cable? That's what I'd try and do if it were me - and my riding jacket was loudly beaconing me to get outside.

E&OE.
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Cobra has it so Im stuck waiting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts