Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my back rest from the dealer last week and I did ok on the price at $570 for the mount and backrest but they wanted $300 to install it and I said hell no. Then they went on to tell me how hard this install was that it takes them 3 hours and I assume some BS shop fees or something on top of that to get up to $300. I was worried that they made it sound so hard even saying the saddle bags are a pain to remove. So I put it on today with my brother in law's help and it took us two hours but we had to stop and go buy a hole saw bit since he couldn't find his. So minus that time and we were bs'ing the whole time it took us maybe 90 mins and I would say that if I did it again and tried to do it fast I could do it in less than an hour. I have lost all respect for that dealer but I do feel kind of pretty since I know there is someone out there who wants to screw me.

I sold them my old bike and they emailed me a satisfaction survey so I told them that I probably would never use their services again because this price was so offensive. The person who responded agreed that it sounded like a lot but she talked to a service person and they stood by their quote that it is difficult... so I'm about to email her back and tell her that it took a novice only 90 mins so if it takes them 3 hours then they have a problem. I'm pretty upset about that because I don't like gouging and I bet they charge that price all day for someone who buys a vaquero from them and wants a back rest since it is easy to just finance another $300 on top something that is over 10k; if I paid their original price for the parts and the labor it would have added up to almost another $1,000 and that is just gross.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Told ya. I knew it was not that hard. Scariest part is drilling the subfender. I was less worried about the install than the price of the backrest itself. Thats why I went another route and got the Mustang seat with driver and passenger backrests from a member here for $450

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I bought my 2012 greed Vaquero I add the backrest in on the loan and had them install it because like you I didn't wanna take the chance of messing the paint up drilling the holes, they charged me a $100 for the install. When I went to pickup the bike my dealer told me I wanna show you something on the bike, he said we're not perfect neither. When they installed it they put a tiny nick on the rear fender right behind the seat that you couldn't see unless you were looking for it. He said we can have the fender repaired or offer you a $500 in-house credit? I told him $500 at your cost and throw in the break in oil change and we have a deal. He said fine and told him to go get your book and I stated ordering accessories. My dealership was honest with me and they treated me great plus I got just about everything I needed for the bike except the Mustang seat.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I bought my 2012 greed Vaquero I add the backrest in on the loan and had them install it because like you I didn't wanna take the chance of messing the paint up drilling the holes, they charged me a $100 for the install. When I went to pickup the bike my dealer told me I wanna show you something on the bike, he said we're not perfect neither. When they installed it they put a tiny nick on the rear fender right behind the seat that you couldn't see unless you were looking for it. He said we can have the fender repaired or offer you a $500 in-house credit? I told him $500 at your cost and throw in the break in oil change and we have a deal. He said fine and told him to go get your book and I stated ordering accessories. My dealership was honest with me and they treated me great plus I got just about everything I needed for the bike except the Mustang seat.
You have a rare dealer. Most are not that honest and would have blamed you for the scratch. I hope all is going well with your recovery. Glad to see your sti;; hanging around here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly the type of people I want to do business with. That price for the install is fair so I guess it is not surprising that they made it right with you for their mess up on the chip. The dealer I used I think they only way they get away with charging so much for the install is on a new purchase it is easy to say yeah put the seat on and then finance it in so people don't look at what they are actually paying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts