Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed K&N Air Filter on my 900 (with pics)...

Say what??? K&N DOES NOT make an air filter for a 900. Well, they should!!! Before I converted my 2002 Silverado over to the FPIK Air Intake system, I had a K&N for the stock system. I only put a couple of hundred miles on it before the switch. When I pulled the air filter off the Vulcan last week and saw it was dirty and at about $29 a pop, I decided to do a little surgery on the stock filter. :rolleyes: I removed the paper element and the cross piece in the middle. I carefully cut down the K&N filter I had and installed it into the filter frame. I was careful to maintain the original air flow diraection through the filter. I sealed the edges with roofing calk, put the screen back on, let it set overnight and installed it yesterday morning. I was careful not to damage the rubber seal around where the filter installs over the intake. I also used small screws to re-install the screen and sealed them into the filter frame.
There was an immediate improvement with the K&N. I think they're crazy not to make one. The nice part was that it really didn't cost me anything because I already had it all, including the roof caulking. Now all I have to do is clean it with the kit and re-oil every 4-5000 miles now. Better performance, lower cost... works for me!!!

From where the air goes in:

After re-installing the filter

·
Registered
263 Posts
You will need to post some pictures, please!

And when you say improvement, how much?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a couple of pics this weekend and as to how much, enough to be noticed. Does it turn into a 1600...no, but I do feel a little more power and crispier take-offs. It also feels like it has a bit more omph when accellerating on the freeway. It's still a 900!!! Since I just gassed up yesterday, Ill be curious to see what it'll do for milege as well. I should also mention that I drilled out the last baffle on my stock pipes for a little more throat and so perhaps the two together is what is making it work. At any rate, I'm really happy. I didn't have to but new pipes, a new intake nor a fuel intake regulator or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The stock air filter media isn't as big a problem as the screen. The screen blocks about 1/3 of the air flow. I cut the OEM filter apart and used 60ppi UNI foam ($12a sheet) and the oil was about $10. I sandwiched the foam in the OEM housing using 1/2sq screen that was laying in the garage. The foam is washable and the 12x16 sheet is enough to make several filters.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point about the screen. That makes sense. I may find something a bit more porous to install. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't really see the reason of the metal screen anyhow. It is on the engine side of the filter anyhow, so it's not useful in picking up any large pieces. It doesn't hold the filter in place like you need on a furnace filter. I mean it's not like the engine is going to suck the filter in, the filter material is strong enuf to hold itself in place.

Bones where did you get the K&N filter material from, was it off the K&N for your Silverado?

I wonder if the filter off another vulcan fits ours? I haven't seen them in person, but they are the same design shape. So maybe they would fit. I would think that K&N and would be making one for this bike soon, it is popular enuf. I mean jeez they still offer one for the 750 which isn't even being made anymore. But the one for the 2000 looks just like ours, is it maybe bigger in dimension?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The filter element was the one from my Silverado (it now has the FPIK Cold Air Intake). I'd be willing to bet the fiter from each engine size is different. I looked at OEM drawings of each and could see the differances. I may go ahead and pull the screen or at worse drill or cut out most of it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't really see the reason of the metal screen anyhow. It is on the engine side of the filter anyhow, so it's not useful in picking up any large pieces. It doesn't hold the filter in place like you need on a furnace filter. I mean it's not like the engine is going to suck the filter in, the filter material is strong enuf to hold itself in place.

Bones where did you get the K&N filter material from, was it off the K&N for your Silverado?

I wonder if the filter off another vulcan fits ours? I haven't seen them in person, but they are the same design shape. So maybe they would fit. I would think that K&N and would be making one for this bike soon, it is popular enuf. I mean jeez they still offer one for the 750 which isn't even being made anymore. But the one for the 2000 looks just like ours, is it maybe bigger in dimension?
I like the circular types on the bigger vulcans... kinda like a dog dish or 'musclecar air cleaner on its side' and wonder if they'd swap... much less $$ than a BAK (I lust for those, but cost prohibitive).

I think the metal screen is for filter element support... probably something they did for the sake of 'insurance'. Kinda like the kid in class who always used about three times as much glue as needed.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually K&N does make a filter for the 900 vulcan. I just bought one for $70.00. Yes it is a little pricey but they are a high flow filter with the same results as the big air kits without the size and the cleaning from an external filter letting dust ,rocks and bugs stuck to the front side. I'm not sure on the exact part number but the last 4 numbers are 9006. No mods are necessary and you get to keep the original look of your bike and get the same high flow as the big air kits. Once I get my new pipes I will have to get the fuel management / programmer though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually K&N does make a filter for the 900 vulcan. I just bought one for $70.00. Yes it is a little pricey but they are a high flow filter with the same results as the big air kits without the size and the cleaning from an external filter letting dust ,rocks and bugs stuck to the front side. I'm not sure on the exact part number but the last 4 numbers are 9006. No mods are necessary and you get to keep the original look of your bike and get the same high flow as the big air kits. Once I get my new pipes I will have to get the fuel management / programmer though.

This thread was 5 years old... they probably have started making one since this original thread... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
K&N Filter

Wow sorry about that, it's been too long of a day. I didn't even look at the date. I was spending so much time trying to find an air filter cover with slots or something similar to accommodate my K&N air filter that replaces the stock one. My bad! Thanks for the correction.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I agree with the K & N. I went with the Cobra scoop that came with one. I also did a debaffle on the pipes. I still know the previous owner of the bike and he couldn't believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
The cover fits pretty tight after installing K&N, there really is no gap, be careful the top right screw and bottom left one have little washers around them that i dropped but luckily found.....ride on....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow sorry about that, it's been too long of a day. I didn't even look at the date. I was spending so much time trying to find an air filter cover with slots or something similar to accommodate my K&N air filter that replaces the stock one. My bad! Thanks for the correction.

there is a popular mod for the back half of the air box. I'd imagine searching "900 air box mod" would bring up several threads. a vented or otherwise modded cover is not really possible. If you take the front cover off, as if you were changing the air filter, you'll notice you can see right down into the throttle bodies. Drilling or cutting the front cover would actually result in opening the engine to unfiltered air.

·
Registered
213 Posts
$70. Wow, sorry, but you overpaid. :( (Unless that price includes the cleaning kit?)

Under $39 at Amazon.

Not sure why link isn't working?? heres the item title: K&N KA-9006 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts