Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone clarify the difference between tr87c and pv78 valve stems? I currently have the 90 degree angled stem (which I prefer), but don't ever remember choosing a model type. I'm about to replace my rear tire and tube, and have always bought the "angled" stem. I'm now noticing there are different models? I don't know how this has evaded me before. They both look identical on seller websites and there is no specific clarification regarding these two versions on line. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That's interesting. When I wanted to order a rear tube and tire I had a difficult time locating online the correctly sized tube with an angled valve stem and there was no notification of any spec other than it has a 90 degree angle. Do the sellers have any info about the different stem specs?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found my answer, thanks to an eBay ad. Apparently, the pv78 types are a taller version of the angled stem. The tr87 appears to be standard, thus a sufficient size. Here is the diagram below:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I found my answer, thanks to an eBay ad. Apparently, the pv78 types are a taller version of the angled stem. The tr87 appears to be standard, thus a sufficient size. Here is the diagram below:

Pagman, I had trouble with the stem types too when replacing tires- ultimately relying just on what photos were available that matched the originals. If you are saying the TR87 stem (in the image) will work, it appears there's no threads and lockdown nuts on that stem, which I believe are needed. Are we on the same page?

·
Registered
233 Posts

Pagman, I had trouble with the stem types too when replacing tires- ultimately relying just on what photos were available that matched the originals. If you are saying the TR87 stem (in the image) will work, it appears there's no threads and lockdown nuts on that stem, which I believe are needed. Are we on the same page?
Hmmmmm??? Both of these posts make me wonder how unbalanced this makes your tire. Or if added weight is necessary to balance your tire. I use beads so I guess they would offset the stem.

But getting to a straight stem sure is aggravating. An add on 90 would be cool. Gotta go see if I can find one.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I highly doubt there would be an issue of balance regarding types of valve stems. After all, they are made by reputable companies to be placed into tires. I currently have a 90 degree valve stem on my rear tire and never felt an imbalance. Also, I have a skull head valve cap on that. If your shop is balancing your tire (as they should), then keep in mind that your tire is returned to you already balanced. I just never knew there were options for different angled and straight stems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hate to dig up an old thread, but I am now in the same boat. Going to replace my tires this spring and I would like to put a tube in the rear with a 90 degree valve stem. Not sure what to go with. I am going with a 170/80-15 tire.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Has anyone also replaced the rim strip when changing tires and tubes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts