Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tire went flat for no visible reason. Soapy water revealed bubbles coming from the spoke holes in the wheel so it looks like a bad tube. This tire was mounted new last season by the dealer. I wonder if they forgot the rim protector inside. I have not got inside yet but I am wondering if all inner tubes are created equal. They seem to range in price from $9 bucks to $25. Any experience out there that can help me make a good choice? Thanks.

Tim

2005 Vulcan 800 Classic with spoke wheels.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Maybe something punctured the tube through the thread side.
The rim protector does not create an air thight seal between tube and rim causing air to leak through the spokes.

Ever given mag wheels a thought?
It's not that difficult of a conversion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
well there's nothing for it but to get the tube out no matter what caused it, so you'll find out.
I'll watch this thread 'cause I'm also curious about the variety of tubes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
...They seem to range in price from $9 bucks to $25. Any experience out there that can help me make a good choice?.
I use Metzeler tubes w/90 degree angled valve stem. I also have an 800 Classic (with the 130/90-16 front tire), so the same tube is good for both front & rear.

They're well made & seem to last, but they are NOT cheap (~$30), but I really appreciate the easy access the 90 degree valve stems provide. I can get them from my preferred tire supplier and I always keep a spare one in the garage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my experience, about 60 years, there is a big difference in tubes, and price and/or brand don't seem to be reliable indicators. My opinion is the installer is the most important variable here; some just can't do the job without gouging or wrinkling the tube. I have the best success when I install them myself.

Greasy side down,
Grandpa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts