Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys/gals,
I inherited an 800 from a good friend of mine (he doesn’t ride) and it was garaged for the past 5yrs while holding for a friend who moved out of country. So,now I’ve got this ride and don’t know what to do. I assume this will be a project for spring. Any suggestions? About me? Not a rider, but I’m about to be this Spring/Summer! 😊

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
invest in buying lots of metric tools, get a copy of the Kawasaki Service Manual for the 800, and change all the fluids before starting it up, and check inside the gas tank that it didn't form rust inside in 5 years of storage, check rubber hoses for dry rot cracks, tires also

Reactions: ADH_Dalton

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride. It going to be a great project and a lot of fun.
Here is the list of what you have to replace.
Tires, tire valves, tubes, and rim strips.
Battery (Replacement should be a good AGM type)
Replace all fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and coolant hoses.
Fuel system completely cleaned with carburetor rebuild.
Brake system completely rebuilt with new brake hoses.
Check wheel bearings and swing arm assembly,
Replace front fork oil.
Replace the spark plugs. Use the iridium type replacements.
Depending on mileage, adjust the valves.
Check steering head bearings. Might as well replace with upgraded design All Balls Brand.
Use some spray electrical cleaner/lubricant and clean side stand, kill, starter, and clutch switches.
Pull all fuses one at a time and clean spade connections; with a brass wire brush. Also the main fuse.
Lube clutch and throttle cables.
Check rubber on directional stalks. They tend to dry rot.
Check and clean all other components on the bike and check for tightness.
Here is a link to the factory repair manual to show what else needs to be checked and the procedures. Also a link to an OEM parts supplier. The parts diagrams will help you see how things are assembled. Before any maintenance or repair, take pictures before and during to help with reassembly. Google for parts and accessories suppliers. It is going to take some time and research. We are here to answer any questions and offer any guidance you need.
After getting this great project done. Would advise you to take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys/gals,
I inherited an 800 from a good friend of mine (he doesn’t ride) and it was garaged for the past 5yrs while holding for a friend who moved out of country. So,now I’ve got this ride and don’t know what to do. I assume this will be a project for spring. Any suggestions? About me? Not a rider, but I’m about to be this Spring/Summer! 😊
Thanks. I did obtain the service manual. I’ve been going over it in the meantime. Seems doable for sure. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride. It going to be a great project and a lot of fun.
Here is the list of what you have to replace.
Tires, tire valves, tubes, and rim strips.
Battery (Replacement should be a good AGM type)
Replace all fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and coolant hoses.
Fuel system completely cleaned with carburetor rebuild.
Brake system completely rebuilt with new brake hoses.
Check wheel bearings and swing arm assembly,
Replace front fork oil.
Replace the spark plugs. Use the iridium type replacements.
Depending on mileage, adjust the valves.
Check steering head bearings. Might as well replace with upgraded design All Balls Brand.
Use some spray electrical cleaner/lubricant and clean side stand, kill, starter, and clutch switches.
Pull all fuses one at a time and clean spade connections; with a brass wire brush. Also the main fuse.
Lube clutch and throttle cables.
Check rubber on directional stalks. They tend to dry rot.
Check and clean all other components on the bike and check for tightness.
Here is a link to the factory repair manual to show what else needs to be checked and the procedures. Also a link to an OEM parts supplier. The parts diagrams will help you see how things are assembled. Before any maintenance or repair, take pictures before and during to help with reassembly. Google for parts and accessories suppliers. It is going to take some time and research. We are here to answer any questions and offer any guidance you need.
After getting this great project done. Would advise you to take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well.

thanks for the wealth of info. I certainly will be taking a safety course before going out on it. 😀

1 - 7 of 7 Posts