Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading all the posts on the ignition shorting out under the tank, and losing sleep over it, I decided to check mine. I bought a 2012 Voyager in 2013 and have a little over 13,000 miles on her. So I pulled the tank and was very surprised to find a plastic sleeve surrounding the wires. I didn't stop there however because I was there already and I put another plastic tube over the one Kawasaki had put in. Just try to wear through that!!! I don't know if all 2012 Voyagers have this reinforced tube or if it is shorter than needed but mine looked good. Is the short further down on the wires?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The wire rub every one talks about is below the tube just above the plug on the frame. If they have extended the covering that is a good thing. Below is a pic of the rub

·
Registered
574 Posts
Okay. Now I see it. Seems I have to move the protecting cover further down on the wire. THX
My memory may be failing me but I think my sleeve is a bit longer that the one in that pic. But in any case they sell split plastic sleeve wraps at the hardware store that one could add on and then wrap with tape to secure.

I've had my tank off several times over the last year and I've never seen any wear signs on the wires or sleeve. I even tried to look in there with a diode flashlight with the speedo cover off, and even though it's difficult to see real clearly, it did not look like my tank was touching the wires.

It must have something to do with how the connector is mounted at the factory, maybe the wires were bent towards the tank etc, or else I'm just not seeing the wear yet.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are right on. I have no wear on my wires either but better to be safe than sorry. I placed that plastic sleeve wrap over the wires all the way to the plug. I didn't have to take the tank off just took the plastic/chrome strip off the top of the tank, removed the two bolts at the back of the tank and slid it back about half an inch. There was enough room to slide on the split plastic sleeve and slide it down to the plug covering all wires. Slide tank back and buttoned it up in about 10 min.s. Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts