Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode by the new Fort Worth Indian dealer today and noticed the factory truck and lots of tents.
Stopped in and had a 30 minute wait to get on a Cheiftian.

If you're in the area it may be worth a trip.

Scott

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Chieftain is the only one I threw a leg over.

The seat felt great, even my wife liked hers. Of course it may kill your butt after a while. Butt, it was very plush for my ride.

It's hard to really get a feel for the bike in 15 miles. Here's some of what stood out.
The pull was excellent; a little more than my Voyager even with the big 3. It was a nice wide power band too; although I never got a chance to take it above 4k rpm.

The seat height is 26" which really gives a lot of slow speed confidence to someone who's not used to the bike.
But, you need to be 6'+ to fully extend the side stand. It's too far forward and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about someone dropping it.

There was also a rattle in the dash. It could be from abuse or a fluke. But, more than likely it's just the nature of the beast. I've heard dash rattles from a wide variety of bikes.

I'm not in the market for an Indian. But, it was a VERY pleasant bike. :)

Scott

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Natchez Trace Parkway via Big Chief Injun and Red Bear

The Chieftain is the only one I threw a leg over. The seat felt great, even my wife liked hers. Of course it may kill your butt after a while. Butt, it was very plush for my ride.
It's hard to really get a feel for the bike in 15 miles. Here's some of what stood out.
The pull was excellent; a little more than my Voyager even with the big 3. It was a nice wide power band too; although I never got a chance to take it above 4k rpm.
The seat height is 26" which really gives a lot of slow speed confidence to someone who's not used to the bike.
But, you need to be 6'+ to fully extend the side stand. It's too far forward and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about someone dropping it.
There was also a rattle in the dash. It could be from abuse or a fluke. But, more than likely it's just the nature of the beast. I've heard dash rattles from a wide variety of bikes.
I'm not in the market for an Indian. But, it was a VERY pleasant bike. :)
Scott
Just got back from 6 day - 2500 mile tour of East Tx, La, Ms- Natchez Trace Parkway all 460 smiles of Historic PARK road, including a side visit to Vicksburg Civil War memorial-worth its weight in time,, Al, Tn, Ky, Indy. Dropped of my nephew and Injun at bros house and did the whole trip again only backward!.. kik azz!

The Injun. No Rattles. runs like a top. smooth and powerful, never need to go above 3k rpm, most cruising is 2-2500 will buy you 70mph. all day in the saddle, my butt bones hurt, butt that is cause theyr old and seen 2 many smiles. Steering is quik and nimble. Kick stand is a tad forward, but nothing that a GOOD spring couldnt fix. the stok spring is weak. she ran like a champ 47.7mpg - yeah its got a computer for everything - info'tainment center.

Big News, when I switched up bikes, my v2k felt small.? how can that be? at a bit crude for the first couple miles. but then it all fell into place and the RedBear'n just delivered its huge power down low cruise in spades..

I rode the v2k all the way back to texas including a 750 mile last day. it rides like a champ. needs a better seat or quit the day at 500 miles. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from 6 day - 2500 mile tour of East Tx, La, Ms- Natchez Trace Parkway all 460 smiles of Historic PARK road, including a side visit to Vicksburg Civil War memorial-worth its weight in time,, Al, Tn, Ky, Indy. Dropped of my nephew and Injun at bros house and did the whole trip again only backward!.. kik azz!

The Injun. No Rattles. runs like a top. smooth and powerful, never need to go above 3k rpm, most cruising is 2-2500 will buy you 70mph. all day in the saddle, my butt bones hurt, butt that is cause theyr old and seen 2 many smiles. Steering is quik and nimble. Kick stand is a tad forward, but nothing that a GOOD spring couldnt fix. the stok spring is weak. she ran like a champ 47.7mpg - yeah its got a computer for everything - info'tainment center.

Big News, when I switched up bikes, my v2k felt small.? how can that be? at a bit crude for the first couple miles. but then it all fell into place and the RedBear'n just delivered its huge power down low cruise in spades..

I rode the v2k all the way back to texas including a 750 mile last day. it rides like a champ. needs a better seat or quit the day at 500 miles. poncho
You left your Chief? Other than that it sounds like a great trip.

The stand was a pain to lift and to set. I think a little 'boot catch' about halfway up would do the trick.

I only noticed the rattle at about 35 mph with the shield raised all the way. It sounded like it was a reverb from the engine vibes rather than road noise.

Funny you say that about getting used to your own bike.
We started rolling going straight and when I went to hit the heel shifter into second I had that split second of "WTF??!!".
By the time I nudged up a gear with my toe; we took a left out of the parking lot and the steering dynamics felt like I was sitting on the front tire.
Everything was smooth as silk by the end of the test ride.
But, when I got back on my own bike; I had to shift my feet and backside around a bit to feel at home again.:confused:

Scott

J

·
0 Posts
I rode Indians three time last year, but only the base model, which is the one I'd be the most interested in, no bags, windshields, etc. All in all, I think it's the finest V-cruiser I've ever ridden, including my 2006 Y2K, but the $14,000+ difference I paid for the minty, lightly used Vulcan over buying a new Chief counts for a lot, enough to keep me off the Indian for a while yet. I see that Indian is offering the bike in new two-tone color schemes for the 2015 model years.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
You left your Chief? Other than that it sounds like a great trip..:confused:Scott
Natchez Trace if ever the chance do ride it. It is worth two days of riding and historical sites. Ride it both ways is 4 days solid best bike road after the BRP.
Big chief injun is sitting in my bros g'rage. He has to look at it everyday and keep it clean. He got his dance card taken away last month because of inattention and ther a big hole in his g'rage needed filling. Hey, its wat bros do!
He cut teeth on injuns 50's. so this is a trip down memory lane.
I will fly bak ther later this year and launch a Nor'easter trip from ther.
'Sides, the bear is my daily ride and she needs some TLC as is getting on in years. poncho

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I rode Indians three time last year, but only the base model, which is the one I'd be the most interested in, no bags, windshields, etc. All in all, I think it's the finest V-cruiser I've ever ridden, including my 2006 Y2K, but the $14,000+ difference I paid for the minty, lightly used Vulcan over buying a new Chief counts for a lot, enough to keep me off the Indian for a while yet. I see that Indian is offering the bike in new two-tone color schemes for the 2015 model years.
well.. I get all the emails and promos from my Injun Dealer way the.. in Lincoln NB. currently they are GIVING away the remaining 014 inventory to make room for the new 2wo tone 15s.
here is their pitch; No Doc fee, No Freight, No set up charge,($750) Free Injun Jacket and Helmet($750) your choice, Free first service and Military discount ($1k). other than that its probably msrp? bet your dealer has similar discounts.
oh yeah and Free 5yr warranty.. although I think I got mine,, well bilt in. poncho

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

Looks like you had a great trip there Ponch! I can't wait until I can have the time for some adventures like that!

J

·
0 Posts
Well, if the $19,000 'standard' Chief ain't enough money for ya', they have this little number sitting on the Sturgis Indian dealer's showroom right now for only $47,000 smackers.

$28,000 MORE than the MSRP for a new Chief, and you get a bike that is so butt-ugly for that amount that it comes complete with a suitable hole in the ground dug in an area of your choice to bury the thing immediately after delivery, and cover it with dirt. The price also covers the lobotomy you'll need to help forget you ever spent so much on something so stupid-looking.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Well, if the $19,000 'standard' Chief ain't enough money for ya', they have this little number sitting on the Sturgis Indian dealer's showroom right now for only $47,000 smackers. $28,000 MORE than the MSRP for a new Chief, ]
I bet I could negotiate 3 new standard Injuns for that kinda coin. One each kolor for rotation days each week.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Looks like you had a great trip there Ponch! I can't wait until I can have the time for some adventures like that!
dl,, that was just a little run. My nephew wanted to squeeze in some saddle time so I forgo my standard 10 day journey to where no man (this) has gone b4.

I had another solo adventure mapped out that would take me west outa Tejas and thru Gila NF new Mehico, across Winslow Az to North Rim canyon and camp hike at Zion np. Time permitting I ride across Nevada loneliest road and camp at Klamath falls Or. Another day and I'd be at Crater lake, after a day and nite would be my mid week turn around. Return path thru western Or to Stanley Id then press SE to Flaming gorge Ut. Easterly thru Steamboat sprgs the backside of RMP. at some point I'd jump over the front range and beat feat (succumb to the interstate sys-ratts) bak to Tejas. 5k smiles 10 daze. Now that's watt I call an Epic Adventure. poncho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts