Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We took a short road trip this weekend to camp with my parents at Indian Caves State Park in southeast Nebraska. We only get to see them a couple times a year so we jumped at the chance, plus they have a nice 5th wheel camper with AC:D We got a late start Friday nite and ended up driving the 110 miles mostly in the dark. Learned an important lesson when traveling the back roads of Nebraska, get gas when you can! Gas stations are few and far between in the middle of nowhere, lol. I didn't run out, but came pretty close. I pulled into the campground on fumes to find out that the nearest gas station was 20 miles, I made it, but it was a very uncomfortable 20 miles. It was also the 1st road trip on the Meanstreak, it loves to cruise at 75-80 mph, very smooth at that speed. That's not very good when you pull into Nebraska and the speed limit drops to 55-60 depending on the road, but it worked out well, dropping the cruising speed had a very good impact on my mpg, I was getting 45mpg cruising 2 up on the meanie. My oldest son on his(formerly mine)'07 VN900 classic was getting 50mpg with all our gear strapped to his and my youngest son on his '82 750 Sabre was getting 45 mpg. The park was beautiful, they've had plenty of rain and everything was nice and green. The park itself lies along Nebraska's southeastern border right along the Missouri river and is in some suprisingly hilly country. The name is somewhat misleading, it's not actually caves, it's a massive rock outcropping that Indian used some 1500 years ago as a settlement and there's still some petroglyphs from their time there. Unfortunately, modern vandals have seen fit to carve their names in the rock as well, it was sad to see a historic site vandalized like that. Lewis and Clark, and other early settlers used this area as well. It is a beautiful area and if you ever have the chance I would highly suggest visiting it.

View of the Missouri River from on of the overlooks in the park-

My sons and our bikes at a stop in the park-

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another stop in the park-

The "caves", this pic is of the right side of the outcropping, the center and left are just as big, it is a massive area. Very cool, lays right along the Missouri River.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those are some awsome pics. Great Place to ride and there isn't a better way to enjoy riding than with family. Thanx for the pics.
Ride Safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts