Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read many a thread about how to change out pipes, air filters, and get fuel controllers in order to get more HP out of the bike but I am wondering if anyone ever made any mods to increase their MPG. On one of my old 84 Honda Shadows I reduced air flow to the carbs and therefore decreased HP and increased MPG by a few points. I had to adjust the crabs to the new setting however. Has anyone ever done anything similar on the 900?

I am a tall skinny guy who has more than enough ponies in the bike that I can sacrifice a few to the gods of MPG lol.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
MPG gains can be achieved in many ways. Simple ways would be in the throttle. Don't twist it so much! Not running the tach up to higher RPMs (short shifting) will slightly increase mpg. Non-ethanol gas will give better mpg as well. I lose 5-6 mpg when using ethanol gas. As far as mechanical mods, I have no idea. In my experience, riding easy, keeping it below 80 mph and non ethanol nets me around 50 mpg.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Slower speeds and moderate acceleration will give you the best fuel economy. It also helps to slow down gradually when safe to do so. If you know the power band for your bike, try to keep the rpms in the range with the most horse power when accelerating. Higher rpm beyond a certain point doesn't equate to higher horsepower. You want to minimize the amount of fuel while providing the max amount of horsepower.

If you want to do some mods then you may want to consider some sort of fairing that increases the aerodynamics. The less fuel you burn to push air out of your way then the better your fuel economy. Or you could ride around in a crouched position and that would also help reduce drag. ;)

I have a Prius (my second one) and used to really geek out on maximizing fuel economy. Slower speed and moderate acceleration are the golden rule. I don't worry about squeezing the most out of a tank anymore. And with my Vulcan 900 full economy is the last thing on my mind when I get on her for a ride. :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the big three from day one for me (1500miles)
That being said after getting everything set up right, mpg's in the low to mid 50's as long as speeds are kept under 75mph and no long uphills/headwinds.
Best 61mpg worst 48mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This may sound simple...

but, adjust your idle screw, this is the default rev for the bike, so if you decelerate without being in gear, or any time you coast this adjustment will save you a little. granted its not much, but if you ride lots every bit helps :) plus for your 5 minute idle warm up of the engine you will save fuel with this simple adjustment. My factory setting for my idle was almost 2000rpm so I have mine purring at 950rpm now, so I know i'm saving fuel and thus helping increase my riding range. at least a little :)

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
If your bike is fairly new and stock, there is not much you can do to the bike itself to increase MPG. The mfg are maxing out gas mileage and emissions to meet EPA standards. Conservative throttle, choice of gas, etc. is about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts