Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 Classic. Once I noticed that one of those police radar signs showing me my current speed read 33 MPH when my speedo read closer to 40 MPH. -Never thought much of it.
Well, last week I installed a Garmin Nuvi GPS with a RAM mount that shows the current MPH. I noticed that my speedo seems to read a little over 1 MPH faster than the bike is really moving. When I'm on the highway and the speedo reads 90, I'm really only moving at around 79 or 80. Has anyone else ever "audited" their speedo to tell if it's accurate. I never guessed mine was reading fast. Just wondering if this is my speedo not working correctly or if it it's a Kawasaki Vulcan speedo thing like how the gas gauge reads "E" too early. :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's not just your bike. This is, unfortunately, normal for the 900. They display approx. 10% higher than your actually speed. There are plenty of threads about this on the forum. There are fixes (speedo. add on gadgets, pulleys, or a larger rear tire) that corect the problem. I'm sure you will soon get plenty of info. on these various solutions. I personally just adjust on the fly in my mind for the correct speed. What I really don't like is the miles displayed on my speedo. reflect 10% higher miles. Try explaining this to a potential buyer should you ever want to sell your bike. :eek: No, I don't think I'd even bother. :cool: The fuel gauge problem is also common and has a "Sticky" where you can read about the fix for that. It is a relatively easy fix also which involves adding a resistor (read the sticky) in the fuel gauge circuit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
#1 reason why some riders on a 70mph freeway are going slower than they think. They swear they're going 75mph but never realized most motorcycles have a speedo error and they're going about 8-10 miles under that what the speedo reads. With the addition of a 200 and both pulleys I over corrected mine to where it reads 70mph but my GPS reads 82. My 200 is nearly bald in the center so I will go back to a 180 so I'm not so far off.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 Classic. Once I noticed that one of those police radar signs showing me my current speed read 33 MPH when my speedo read closer to 40 MPH. -Never thought much of it.
Well, last week I installed a Garmin Nuvi GPS with a RAM mount that shows the current MPH. I noticed that my speedo seems to read a little over 1 MPH faster than the bike is really moving. When I'm on the highway and the speedo reads 90, I'm really only moving at around 79 or 80. Has anyone else ever "audited" their speedo to tell if it's accurate. I never guessed mine was reading fast. Just wondering if this is my speedo not working correctly or if it it's a Kawasaki Vulcan speedo thing like how the gas gauge reads "E" too early. :confused:

Heh...only 1 mph difference? Consider yourself lucky. More typically they read ~10% fast, and not just Kawasaki.

I need to drive ~70mph indicated to have true speed of ~63mph.

EDIT: Ah...I see there is a "0" missing behind your 1 MPH so yeah, you're roughly 10% too. It's normal, unfortunately. The speedo on my Suzuki is fast as well.

It would be nice if things were accurate, but in the case of a fuel gauge I much prefer it to read "E" too soon, rather than too late. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Most bikes are like this. There's a federal law that speedos can't read less than your actual speed so the manufacturers err on the side of caution and your actual speed is much less than what's indicated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed the difference on my bike on the first road trip I took. I rode one distance and my father rode another, mine was usually 7 extra miles for every 100. So not only is speed off but distance is also. I paid attention then to the speed on the speedo and my gps and was always about 7 mph different.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mines also off by 10%. I just do a quick math adjustment in my head to compensate. For instance if I'm on a road with a 40 mph limit I ride at 45. that's 1 over the limit and have never had a ticket for it. On the highway I'll go 82 indicated which is 75 actual. You would be surprised how quickly you can remember a few key speeds. I did check mine with my gps to verify before assuming this was correct. Your actual speed variation may be different!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Two words on this issue

Speedo Healer.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Checked my wife's LT using the GPS, and it looks like her speedo reads about 3 mph high up to about 65 mph, at which point it is about 4--5 high. Don't know if the speedohealer is worth the money. The question about the speedo healer is, does it also true out the odometer? If it does that, too, then it might be worth whatever it costs.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I owned 2 GL1500 Gold Wings, and the speedometers on both of them were accurate to within +/- 1 mph, as shown on a traffic radar gun. The speedos on GL1800's have a speedometer error of 5--8%, and there's nothing from Honda to explain why.

Regarding the Speedohealer, I accessed this website ( http://www.calsportbike.com/sh/ ) and found that they do, indeed, make the speedohealer for the 900 Vulcan. Price is $114.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
lots of fix's for speddo and fuel gauge got my speddo down to +2-3 MPH with a 170/80 rear tire, im a cheapskate much less than a 200/70 . see thread for gas gauge, resister works well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The SpeedoHealer looks like the right move. It's obviously ideal for when you want to change things like the pulley or the rear tire to larger sizes. I think it's ridiculous to have to spend money to correct a stock bike to reflect the correct speed and more-so, the correct miles!!! Thanks for all the great input :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts