Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it yesterday...

What RPMs are you guys using for easy riding around town, and as a low acceleration shift point?

The owners manual suggests some speeds with (for example) a 5th-6th shift as low as 34mph and downshift at 19mph. I can't believe it could be that low, plus I'll never remember a bunch of speeds for up / down shifting.

At anything under about 3000 RPM the engine feels like it is lugging so unless I am going downhill I keep it above 3000.

What do others think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got it yesterday...

What RPMs are you guys using for easy riding around town, and as a low acceleration shift point?

The owners manual suggests some speeds with (for example) a 5th-6th shift as low as 34mph and downshift at 19mph. I can't believe it could be that low, plus I'll never remember a bunch of speeds for up / down shifting.

At anything under about 3000 RPM the engine feels like it is lugging so unless I am going downhill I keep it above 3000.

What do others think?
we just received the Vulcan S, owners manual should state break-in. Salesman stated vary rpm's under 4k for 1st 500mls, then under 7K till 1000mls. riding 1st 500 mls under 4K is hard. Shop mechanic told us to just ride it normal varying rpm a lot.

HR...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The manual on most Kawasaki's seem to be really low RPM wise. Unsure why.

If it runs well at above 3k RPM's, then I'm sure that's a good place for it! You may find, as it breaks in, that it can run well without lugging at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just got it yesterday...

What do others think?
I am still in the first 500 miles, and I find myself between 3k-4k RPM most of the time, which usually translates to a 5th-6th shift at 40-45 mph.
I also find their downshifting speed a little extreme, I would shift back to 5th at around 30mph.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
If it feels bucky at all the shift point is too low. Lugging the engine is one of the worst things you can do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

I've ridden a fair bit 30 years ago but engine designs have changed considerably...

I will continue to do what "feels" right, which seems to be keeping RPMs above 3000 except downhill....

Regards

Ron

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

I've ridden a fair bit 30 years ago but engine designs have changed considerably...

I will continue to do what "feels" right, which seems to be keeping RPMs above 3000 except downhill....

Regards

Ron
i can remember what we said when we were young: if you want the engine to have a decent test, pull up in 4th gear ;-)
But to be honest, i keep it above 3000, because i don't like the "shake" of the Vulcan... maybe the Harley's can do that, but it doesn't feel good...
And i am finally above 1000 km's, so i can pull the throttle... i can tell you, it sounds terrific! at lower RPM's, but also at 9000 !
the warmer the exhaust, the darker the sound. no need for another exhaust !

·
Registered
14 Posts
On mine I always try to keep her above 3k rpm. She lugs at anything lower unless your in first gear. I take mine in this week for her first service. Will be interesting to see if she changes at all I have never been able to keep her under 4k for very long. mine likes to run at around 4 - 5k rpm. Got to say I loving this bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On mine I always try to keep her above 3k rpm. She lugs at anything lower unless your in first gear. I take mine in this week for her first service. Will be interesting to see if she changes at all I have never been able to keep her under 4k for very long. mine likes to run at around 4 - 5k rpm. Got to say I loving this bike.
Let us know if your valves need adjustment.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
errr, hmmm... how do you know your rpm? Do you have a tachometer?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I have a Vulcan. see profile. mine only got speedo, fuel gauge and idiot lights :)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
no not jealous. but you are right I did not look at new Vulcans. I always buy used vehicles... so now they got tachometers on them. good.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I love the integrated dash on the Vulcan S. Even on my 900, I always felt a tach with a digital speed readout would be way cooler.

Porsche is my favorite car manufacturer and one of the reasons for that is their really cool dash that puts the tach front and center. They aren't the only ones to do that but I really love the way they do it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now if the motorcycle makers can make a self-cancelling turn signal too to go with the tach, we'd actually be somewhere.:eyeroll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cannot keep it below 3000 RPM of she gets grumpy. Finding myself cruising around at about 4000 each time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now if the motorcycle makers can make a self-cancelling turn signal too to go with the tach, we'd actually be somewhere.:eyeroll:
Yamaha does, so I don't see why other manufacturers don't. I had a Yamaha VStar and really miss the self cancelling signals.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts